Senior Offshore Structural Engineer (O&G, Renewables)
Senior Offshore Structural Engineer (O&G, Renewables)
We are looking for an outstanding candidate to join a mixed offshore wind/oil and gas structural design and analysis team within our Engineering and Consulting business. As a Senior Offshore Structural Engineer, you will have strong experience in structural design and analysis, with either a civil, mechanical, or structural engineering background. It is anticipated that the successful candidate will have specific experience relevant to fixed and floating offshore structures, such as offshore wind turbine substructures and offshore oil & gas structures. You will be responsible for leading packages of design and analysis work, and for leading and mentoring teams of junior engineers. You will report to both internal and external clients, and have responsibility for production of written deliverables.
The project work will primarily involve structural design and analysis. However, there are likely to be opportunities to work in areas such as engineering management, asset integrity management, and concept development, and it is expected that you will be adaptable to take on a range of work depending on demand. We are engaged in a broad range of projects, and while our operations focus on fixed and floating offshore structures we also have the adaptability to support the nuclear energy market. Prior experience of work relating to offshore structures is advantageous but is not a prerequisite. Many of our projects involve multi-disciplinary design teams, drawing on expertise from Atkins/SNC-Lavalin offices around the world, and the ability to engage proactively and constructively with colleagues from a range of backgrounds is important.
It is expected that you will have experience of working in accordance with engineering design codes and standards, as well as working from first principles based on a strong theoretical understanding. Strong problem-solving skills are required, as is the ability to propose and develop innovative design solutions. Reporting skills are essential, as it is expected that you will both lead the production and have responsibility for issue of written deliverables. It is also expected that you will have a strong attention to quality control and assurance, and will both lead by example and drive improvement in this area where possible. As this is a senior position, it is expected that you will lead others to make a significant contribution to the overall capability of the team in the area of structural design and engineering.
- Degree qualified in Civil, Structural or Mechanical Engineering to Masters level.
- Extensive experience in a relevant area of structural design or analysis.
- Experience related to the design of offshore structures (offshore wind and/or oil and gas).
- A thorough understanding of the design criteria relevant to offshore structures.
- Experience specific to offshore wind turbine foundations will be an advantage.
- Ability to develop design solutions that go beyond the guidance available in design codes and standards.
- An awareness of the markets/sectors relevant to offshore structures, and the market factors relevant to structural design
- A successful track record of leading and solving complex structural integrity and design problems and associated quality assurance.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, with a proven ability to write accurate, detailed and concise technical reports (e.g. design substantiations, bases of analysis and calculations) as well as manage and enable the writing of high quality written deliverables within your team.
- Experience of technical leadership and/or staff line management roles and responsibilities. You will be motivated to lead, motivate, mentor, teach and guide junior members of your team.
- Experience of project management aspects such as budget control, resourcing and schedule management.
- An ability to engage closely and regularly with internal and external clients to both deliver and develop new workstreams/opportunities.
- Experience of engaging with certifying bodies and responding to robust technical challenge from certification bodies, clients or stakeholders.
- Experience in presenting your work at workshops or conferences, such that you can confidently represent/promote the group’s technical capabilities to a broad audience.
- This position will be based in one of our offices in the UK (London, Epsom, Bristol, Glasgow, Edinburgh or Aberdeen). However, travel to other company and client sites may occasionally be necessary as part of the role.
- Successful candidates will be required to undergo a security vetting process and offers of employment will be subject to relevant security clearance being granted.
- Atkins recognise that there are many well qualified people who are looking to further their career in engineering, but who cannot commit to full time employment. We support flexible working arrangements and are interested to discuss how we can accommodate individual requirements.
This role may require security clearance and offers of employment will be dependent on obtaining the relevant level of clearance. If this is necessary it will be discussed with you at interview.
If applying to this role please do not make reference to (in conversation) or include in your application or CV, details of any current or previously held security clearance.