Senior Permanent Way Engineer
This vacancy has now expired... why not:
Atkins is one of the world’s most respected engineering, design and project management consultancies. We build long-term trusted partnerships to create a world where lives are enriched through the implementation of new and exciting ideas. Atkins has a vision to shape the future of transportation, to lead where others will follow and to deliver the future of mobility today.
Our strategic priority is to be the employer of choice. We recognise that our greatest assets are you – our people. We want to create an environment where people feel empowered, valued and can thrive. A place where everybody's voice counts, a diverse community who feel they can contribute to the success of Transportation. We want this to be an environment with visible and exceptional leaders who are role models, who will promote an inclusive culture, are open to feedback and create an environment for our people to flourish.
To meet our growth ambitions, we are seeking a high calibre Senior Permanent Way Design Engineer in our Birmingham office to assist and support a growing team delivering the domestic workbank of S&C renewals during Control Period 6 & 7, through all GRIP stages of design and construction. The team will also start to deliver enhancement projects and assist the wider business to support Palin Line designs.
The individual we seek is a highly skilled technical engineer operating at a Senior level, or an Engineer looking to move into the next stage of their career. They should be technically competent and ideally operating at CRE level, although mentoring will be provided where required. They will also be self motivated, able to work on their own recognisance and assist with leading a team, be passionate about Permanent Way Engineering, whom has a track record of delivering great outcomes for our people and clients.
We will value and support you for going beyond to exceed expectations and deliver a large and diverse work bank, innovating to provide new solutions to track engineering. After all, we can’t achieve great things without you. So, you can look forward to fantastic rewards, benefits and development opportunities.
- Professionally Registered
- EngTech or ideally IEng with relevant Institution, and actively undertaking CPD
- HNC / HND in Civil Engineering or BA in an Engineering field, or
- Acting CRE or CRE under Mentorship
- Managing project deliverables in conjunction with Principal Engineer
- Control on a detailed level of managing timescales and budget
- Technically competent
- Can support the design stage from GRIP 1 thru 8
- First level of knowledge base for the team
- Might be responsible for a specific work stream on a project i.e. surveying / linespeed / S&C
- Have several Engineers reporting to them
- Being responsible for more than one deliverable at any given time
- Ensuring that their own time is managed to ensure meeting deliverable dates
- Ensuring that QA is adhered too on a package deliverable level
- Continuing Professional Development
- Attending IDR / IDC as deputy for CRE if required
- Managing local resources within a team to ensure that junior Engineer / Technicians are utilised
- Technical check of deliverables
- Checking that compliance to Quality Procedures and Processes have been adhered too
- Solving engineering problems
- Assisting with developing project cost estimates and delivering to budgets
- Checking and reviewing the work of others
- Delegating work to team members, programming deliverables and monitoring progress.
- Excellent interpersonal, organisational and communication skills;
- Ability to communicate effectively at all levels;
- A supportive and encouraging approach to mentoring less experienced members of the team; and ability to adapt to different cultures and working environments.
- Knowledge base for junior members of the team
- Ensuring Brief is adhered too for all deliverables
- Attending Design Reviews, Constructability Reviews, IDC and IDR
- Technical check of deliverables
- Assist with managing the S&C deliverables and programming resources for delivering the Domestic Workbank
- Working with team leader(s) to set weekly / monthly workload within teams
- Managing project workload within teams
Atkins, part of the SNC Lavalin Group, is committed to having a diverse and inclusive workforce. As an Equal Opportunities Employer, we value applications from all backgrounds, cultures and ability.
This role may require security clearance and offers of employment will be dependent on obtaining the relevant level of clearance. If this is necessary, it will be discussed with you at interview.
If applying to this role please do not make reference to (in conversation) or include in your application or CV, details of any current or previously held security clearance.