Atkins, member of the SNC-Lavalin Group, is one of the world’s leading multi-disciplinary consultancy firms offering unparalleled opportunities for talented individuals in search of a rewarding career.
We are currently looking to strengthen and broaden our Planning team with the appointment of an experienced and enthusiastic Senior Planner in the Midlands. The Planning team, based in London, Birmingham, Epsom, Bristol, Warrington and Leeds, works directly with Atkins’ wide multi-disciplinary teams in the UK and across the world on a variety of major infrastructure and development projects. The team is one of the UK’s leading consultancies, securing consents for major infrastructure schemes and also at the forefront of thought-leadership in the field of planning, economics and international development. It has influenced government thinking on infrastructure delivery and provides strategic planning advice in the UK to central government and its agencies, local enterprise partnerships, local authorities, combined authorities and the private sector. We also work with colleagues leading international development work with international financing institutions and government bodies. We are currently providing planning support for clients including HS2, Homes England, Highways England, EDF, Network Rail, Balfour Beatty, Severn Trent Water, Environment Agency and a number of Local Authorities.
While the post would be based in Birmingham the successful candidate may also be required to work out of other UK Atkins or client offices, where the need arises, in order to meet the demands of fluctuating workloads. Atkins recognises the importance and benefits of helping its employees balance their work and home life and offers flexible working arrangements.The position requires a Chartered Planner, combining an excellent track record in Town Planning with particular experience in providing advice to our growing markets in the development, transportation, energy and water sectors. Atkins would consider a more junior applicant, if they showed that they had the passion and desire to move towards a Senior Planner role.
- Preparation of TCPA/DCO/Highways Act/Hybrid applications including writing supporting planning documentation;
- Manage project inputs from a range of disciplines working across the firm;
- Carry out strategic planning research and policy development including for example: policy analysis, assessments of development potential, local plan support and evidence;
- Provision of planning advice to external and internal clients;
- Manage client communication, reporting and stakeholder consultation.
- Management, including financial management, of projects;
- Resource allocation in liaison with the regional team leader;
- Provide mentoring to junior staff to help the team develop its national capabilities.
- Identification, development and pursuit of new business and marketing opportunities including leading or supporting on tender responses.
- Develop client network and collaborate with colleagues across Atkins to win work.
- A relevant Town Planning degree or Masters;
- Chartered membership of the Royal Town Planning Institute or working towards RTPI Chartership;
- A sound, in-depth knowledge of planning law and procedures, including the changing planning system at national and local levels;
- Experience in the management and delivery of multi-disciplinary planning projects;
- Capability to work alongside and co-ordinate a range of technical specialists;
- Experience in strategic planning and residential development, especially working with Local Authority clients;
- Experience in the Midlands regions would be preferable;
- Proven experience of building successful relationships with internal and external stakeholders;
- A need to demonstrate commercial awareness and proven ability to manage budgets;
- Able to check and review complex documents and summarise and present the key issues in a clear and concise way, understandable to non-specialists;
- Experienced in meeting clients and managing their needs in a confident, professional manner;
- Strong report writing, verbal and presentation skills, and the aptitude to rationally explain, explore and discuss town planning issues;
- Excellent time management skills - able to prioritise and work effectively under pressure, with proven success in meeting tight deadlines;
- Flexible, adaptable and prepared to take on new challenges and work from other Atkins or client office locations;
- Personal qualities required include being self-motivated, enthusiastic, determined and resilient and with an ability to inspire.
What we offer
Atkins is ranked as one of ‘The Sunday Times 25 Best Big Companies to Work For’ and as one of the ‘The Times Top 50 Employers for Women’. We support flexible working and equal opportunities as we believe that diverse teams provide the best mix of interpersonal and technical skills needed to exceed our customers’ expectations. Our commitment to staff development is underpinned by numerous stable and long-term framework agreements with key clients
Atkins develops individuals through a portfolio of training and development activities designed to help you make the best of your abilities and talents. These are reviewed with individuals through an annual appraisal process. We actively support staff in achieving corporate membership of relevant institutions such as IEMA, RTPI, LI, ICE, CIEEM, and CIWEM.
Rewards and Benefits
Please refer to our website for details of our full benefits package . https://www.yourrewardatkins.com/#benefits
This role may require security clearance and offers of employment will be dependent on obtaining the relevant level of clearance. If this is necessary, it will be discussed with you at interview.If applying to this role please do not make reference to (in conversation) or include in your application or CV, details of any current or previously held security clearance.
ATKINS, part of the SNC Lavalin Group, is committed to having a diverse and inclusive workforce. As an Equal Opportunities Employer, we value applications from all backgrounds, cultures and ability.