Atkins’ UK Transportation business brings together the capabilities of our Rail, Highway and Local Transport teams, into a single business of 3,000 talented engineering professionals transport planners and consultants. The unique breadth of services in Transportation, combined with our scale, makes Atkins the leading UK transportation infrastructure consultancy. We create a culture and environment to inspire our people, ensure collaboration with our clients and continue to shape the future of mobility.
The Central Rail Systems Alliance is formed by partners Network Rail, Balfour Beatty, Atkins and TSO. The CRSA is responsible for the delivery of multi-disciplinary railway upgrade projects on the North West & Central and Eastern regions of Network Rail’s recently devolved routes. The programme of works delivered by the teams is valued at £2bn and manages the development, design and delivery of Switches and Crossings and Plain Line renewals as its core business but is also responsible for the delivery of major enhancement projects.
We are seeking a highly self-motivated P6 Planner with extensive experience in the detailed planning of large complex rail projects. The role within the Central Rail Systems Alliance, based in Birmingham, requires a strong technical background in the rail industry and experience of working with/alongside Network Rail. As the Planner, you will report into the PMO Planning Lead, with accountability to the Project Manager.
- A detailed understanding of rail technologies, including but not limited to: Signalling, Track (P-Way), Structures (tunnels, bridges, earthworks, embankments, buildings, structures, gantries, access platforms etc), Electrification & Plant and Telecoms.
- Experience of programming multi-disciplinary engineering design and managing the resulting interfaces.
- Must have a good understanding of how projects are designed, procured, constructed and commissioned.
- Expert user of Primavera P6.
- This role requires the Planner to carry out their Project Control duties with limited supervision, and work under their own initiative in the production of Project Programmes and Tender Programmes.
- Experience of various forms of contract, including NEC.
- Experience of Schedule Risk and Cost analysis.
- Experience of Claims.
- Experience of working with company Enterprise systems.
- Prepares project resource histograms, performance analysis data and CPI/SPI information.
- Must demonstrate a detailed understanding of Project Controls Techniques including, budget and spend management, change control, Earned Value Management, data analysis, trend analysis and Work Package Management.
- Experience of working on large projects up to £50m.
- Ability to drive numerous projects simultaneously with the skills required to quickly adapt to changing priorities.
- Experienced Engineering Professional with a qualification in Mechanical/Civil Engineering preferred.
- Member of the APM preferred.
- You will be responsible for all aspects of the Projects programme and Project Controls.
- Represent and drive Project Controls Policy, attend and lead client progress meetings.
- Responsible for the completion of projects to time and cost.
- Provide supervision to junior members of the team as required.
- Familiar with commercial and financial aspects of project management.
- Building relationships with limited set of common clients and maintaining regular client contact.
- Have a good understanding of Transportation technologies and markets.
- Provision of project performance data, project schedules and reports in a concise and timely manner as required by the project teams.
- Successful in identifying any project deviations and slippages, reports and communicates issues to senior members of the team.
- Ensuring that all issues within the programme are highlighted and understood by Senior Management and giving appropriate planning advice.
- You will deliver the Period Programme Update and information regarding changes and delays that have impacted the programme on a period by period basis.
- Delivering the necessary reports to allow Senior Managers to direct the project appropriately.
This is an opportunity to join a dynamic, world class team working on some of the UK’s largest rail infrastructure projects. You will be part of an experienced team that have a significant impact on the successful delivery of a portfolio of projects using project controls tools and techniques that provide concise information to the projects they support. Salary negotiable and dependant on experience.
Atkins recognise that there are many well qualified people who are looking to further their career, but who cannot commit to full time employment. We support flexible working arrangements and are interested to discuss how we can accommodate individual requirements
ATKINS, part of the SNC Lavalin Group, is committed to having a diverse and inclusive workforce. As an Equal Opportunities Employer, we value applications from all backgrounds, cultures and ability.
This role may require security clearance and offers of employment will be dependent on obtaining the relevant level of clearance. If this is necessary, it will be discussed with you at interview.
If applying to this role please do not make reference to (in conversation) or include in your application or CV, details of any current or previously held security clearance.
#LI-UK #LI-ATKINS #LI-Transportation
Atkins’ UK Transportation business brings together the capabilities of our Rail, Highway and Local Transport teams, into a single business of 3,000 talented engineering professionals transport planner
Our Latest Articles
Recently viewed jobs