Senior/Principal Carbon and Sustainability Consultant
Senior/Principal Carbon and Sustainability Consultant
SNC-Lavalin’s Atkins business is one of the world’s most respected design, engineering and project management consultancies, with over 50,000 employees worldwide. At Atkins, we offer more than just a job. We offer an opportunity to make a difference and shape the world to benefit future generations and the natural environment.
Our Environment Practice is a vibrant network of people providing world class consultancy and advisory services. We care about outcomes for our clients and the unprecedented challenges they face – climate change, rapid urbanisation, consumerisation, economic uncertainty, security threats and technology-driven change. The work we do is important and influential, it shapes the way our clients think, enables them to make better decisions and to deliver their projects in a world of disruption and change. Great ideas come from great people when they collaborate – this is our core strength.
Do you want to make a real difference in driving the carbon performance of major infrastructure projects, contributing to the transition to a zero carbon and a carbon positive future? We are looking to recruit a Senior or Principal Consultant with strong experience in carbon management and integrating sustainability in the design and construction of infrastructure projects to join our growing team of dedicated sustainability and environmental professionals.
You will provide carbon and sustainability leadership for an exciting range of high-profile projects, across a range of market sectors including large scale energy projects, major water infrastructure schemes, airport, rail and highways improvement schemes. Our key clients include Network Rail, TfL, Highways England, Environment Agency, and water and energy companies.
Based in the Environment division of our UK Infrastructure business, the successful candidate will work collaboratively with our infrastructure and other built asset project teams throughout the project lifecycle and, in particular, the design and construction phases of projects.
This is an excellent career development opportunity for a candidate with proven experience, looking to progress their career to the next level through working on high profile infrastructure projects throughout the UK.
Key Responsibilities Providing technical leadership on carbon and net zero for our existing portfolio of major infrastructure projects
- Supporting the technical skills and career development our growing team of carbon and sustainability professionals
- Leading the business development of our carbon management services, and developing relationships with existing and new clients
- Managing the development of carbon and sustainable design and management approaches, methods and solutions.
- Developing carbon strategies, design and management plans.
- Project manage and coordinate of sustainability inputs on major projects.
- Provide advice to clients around delivery of their net zero ambitions
- Represent the company and continue to build personal, team and company reputation.
- The successful candidate will be educated to degree level in a sustainability / environment related discipline and will have achieved, or be working towards, chartered status and / or full or associate membership of a recognised relevant professional body. You will possess strong sustainability related expertise, a wide range of skill sets and a willingness to become involved in a broad selection of projects.
- Have an excellent understanding of carbon and in particular he ity, in particular carbon and resource efficiency, in an infrastructure project context.
- Possess strong interpersonal skills and experience working collaboratively with a range of technical specialists at different levels.
- Be highly self-motivated, possessing strong enthusiasm and commitment to delivering sustainable outcomes.
- Be flexible, adaptable and prepared to take on new challenges and work from other Atkins or client office locations.
- Have strong report writing, communication and presentation skills.
- Have experience of UK sustainability and environmental regulations, guidance and standards. Knowledge of international regulatory frameworks, guidance and standards would be an advantage.
- Knowledge of standards and methods for assessing and reporting on carbon performance of infrastructure projects
- Excellent verbal communicator with the ability to present with confidence to a wide range of audiences and communicate technical concepts simply and clearly
- Excellent writing skills - clarity in scientific writing is key. Able to adapt writing style to produce documents for different types of audience, including non-specialists.
- Highly motivated and proactive; focused on achieving and delivering technical excellence
- Ability to engage and enthuse staff and clients
- Strong technical performance.
- Skilled at collaborative working, have good interpersonal skills and an ability to communicate effectively
- Flexible and prepared to take on new challenges
- Well organised; able lead multiple projects running simultaneously
- Attention to detail and desire to work to high standards consistently
What we offer
Atkins recognise that there are many well qualified people who are looking to further their career, but who cannot commit to full time employment. We support flexible working arrangements and are interested to discuss how we can accommodate individual requirements.As part of this commitment, we understand the need for a diverse and flexible workforce, where a work-life balance is important. So, by default Atkins offers flexible working, where there is no fixed 9 ‘till 5, no need for a 5-day week, no requirement for a full-time contract, and no requirement to spend all your working time in the office. Our IT systems support home-working, so where you have parental or carer duties; or you simply need to be elsewhere for a parcel, servicing your car, or waiting in for a tradesperson; Atkins will work for you. Similarly, Atkins’ corporate social responsibility provides the opportunity to give something back to the community, and we run professional networks supporting groups such as local schools, charities, parents, those coming out of the armed-forces and women in engineering.
Atkins develops individuals through a portfolio of training and development activities designed to help you make the best of your abilities and talents. These are reviewed with individuals through an annual development process. We support staff in achieving and maintaining membership of relevant institutions. You will also be part of our global Technical Networks, which provide a flow of technically orientated information and ideas through the company. Atkins will support you in your professional development, whether with the IEMA, CIWEM or others. This includes paying your annual membership and providing access to training.
Rewards and Benefits
We offer a competitive salary that is regularly tested against other consultants with a default 25-days leave each year plus bank holidays and options to buy some or sell of that leave.
To support and safeguard your physical and mental wellbeing we provide an employee assistance programme offering advice and support in times of need. Our offices run their own sports and social club providing activities such wine tasting, as surf trips, and a kids’ Christmas party. You will also have access to our Flexible Benefits, where you can opt in to a wide range of benefits to complement your work/life balance: such as medical insurance, gym membership, the cycle-to-work scheme, child care vouchers, charitable giving, additional pension contributions etc.
Please refer to our website for details of our full benefits package . https://www.yourrewardatkins.com/#benefits
This role may require security clearance and offers of employment will be dependent on obtaining the relevant level of clearance. If this is necessary, it will be discussed with you at interview. If applying to this role please do not make reference to (in conversation) or include in your application or CV, details of any current or previously held security clearance. ATKINS, part of the SNC Lavalin Group, is committed to having a diverse and inclusive workforce. As an Equal Opportunities Employer, we value applications from all backgrounds, cultures and ability.
Environment & geoscience
Sciences - multidiscipline
SNC-Lavalin’s Atkins business is one of the world’s most respected design, engineering and project management consultancies, with over 50,000 employees worldwide. At Atkins, we offer more than just a
Our Latest Articles
Recently viewed jobs