Senior/Principal Civil Engineer - Water Sector
Senior/Principal Civil Engineer - Water Sector
Atkins, a member of SNC-Lavalin, is a world-leader in engineering, design consultancy and construction providing our staff with opportunities to work on the most exciting and diverse water projects worldwide, including the UK.
Following a successful start to AMP7, delivering for our clients in the UK and expansion of our international water portfolio, the Infrastructure division is seeking to appoint a number of Senior/Principal Civil Engineers to join our water engineering team based at our Epsom office.
We welcome a variety of experience and would utilise your specialist skills to support our agile and forward-thinking team in growing and delivering innovative multidisciplinary engineering solutions for our broad range of strategic UK and international clients, across clean and wastewater infrastructure and non-infrastructure.
If you have a passion for engineering and would like to join Atkins SNC-Lavalin to deliver our growth plan across the UK and globally, we would be keen to hear from you and about your career aspirations. We fully support flexible working arrangement and we are keen to explore how we can accommodate your requirements.
The successful candidate for this role would hold the following responsibilities and attributes working as part of our dynamic multidisciplinary water engineering team.
- Lead and contribute to the successful delivery of UK and/or international projects across their lifecycles: from feasibility/options assessments to detailed design, construction, commissioning and handover support.
- Supporting win work pursuits through production of proposals, fees, and scope definition in accordance with Akins’ bid management system.
- Engage with the clients and contractors, including in a Design and Build environment, to develop, innovate and implement best practice water engineering solutions.
- Collaborative working with the clients, contractors and across external/internal project teams to ensure successful and cost effective delivery of projects.
- Actively plan, execute and review engineering design deliverables including calculations, drawings, specifications and reports in accordance with relevant design standards, codes and Akins’ design management system.
- Contribute to the efficient and agile delivery of projects to meet programme and budget.
- Leadership in contributing to overall quality and safe design of technical solutions in project delivery.
- Champion the application of digital engineering initiatives and innovation in water sector solutions.
- Act as a mentor to other team members, potentially with line management responsibility.
- Bachelor’s degree with a civil engineering bias; Chartered Member of a recognised engineering institution.
- Experience of design or Design and Build projects and bid delivery in the water and/or wastewater engineering sector. International experience is beneficial but not essential.
- A strong technical water sector background, including knowledge of relevant UK and international codes and standards.
- Highly motivated, organised and with a strong desire to lead and contribute to technical excellence within project teams and the wider Atkins.
- Experience in a technical engineering lead role on projects
- Experience of working with contractors to deliver the successful implementation of engineering solutions, in a Design and Build environment.
- Excellent interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills with the ability to work both collaboratively and independently within a multidisciplinary team including clients, contractors and colleagues alike.
- Good understanding of digital initiatives and their application in the water industry.
- Flexible approach to work type and locations for project assignments, including overseas working or visits, if required.
The national Design & Advanced Technology (D&AT) practice within Atkins SNC-Lavalin Infrastructure division includes a well-established, multidisciplinary, water engineering team with a varied and extensive global portfolio of projects. Our local teams incorporate expert process, mechanical, electrical and civil engineers who provide a multidisciplinary approach to solving our clients’ problems in creating, managing, building and investing in water and wastewater infrastructure. Applying a networked management approach, and with a focus on staff empowerment, trust and agility, our fast-paced business can match your ambitions.
By drawing on the experience and knowledge of our global engineering technical network, you will be encouraged to enhance your continuing professional development through developing and exploiting ground-breaking technological engineering advances within the water industry. From this class-leading technical foundation, your abilities will be developed to allow you to craft innovative, sustainable solutions and help us and our clients to take advantage of the digital revolution and embed resilience in our delivered solutions. And you will help us let the world know just how good you and we are at this!
Why work with us?
As civil engineers, we understand the importance of water. We deliver innovative, cost-effective and sustainable infrastructure solutions to our clients. Smart engineering starts by understanding water client needs and applying knowledge, experience and tools to identify the best value solutions before any construction begins. We specialize in all aspects of water sector assets from treatment plants, desalination, pipeline and pumping stations, collection and storage systems. We continue to provide industry-leading engineering right through the project lifecycle, including during commissioning and optimization.
We employ a range of proprietary and in-house developed digital tools to facilitate our work across all disciplines in the team. This enables us to quickly and efficiently evaluate a complex range of options with a clearly auditable trail, that underpins strategic planning and stands up to Regulator scrutiny.
Our people demonstrate through leadership and align us with our clients’ values and desired outcomes at project and programme level. We champion sustainable, best value solutions and deliver them more effectively by being, individually and collectively, faster, smarter and more reliable.
Rewards, benefits and career development, training
We offer a comprehensive and competitive salary and benefits package commensurate with the role and your skills and experience. Please refer to our website for further details. Our networks offer fantastic opportunities for you to grow your experience, expertise and reputation amongst your peers and beyond. Our broad range of projects, and wide pool of expert people will help you and your career grow to suit your aspirations and personal goals. We will help you to develop professionally and personally through a portfolio of training and development activities designed to help you make the best of your abilities and talents. We are proud of our flexible working environment empowering individuals to excel.
Atkins recognise that there are many well qualified people who are looking to further their career, but who cannot commit to full time employment. We support flexible working arrangements and are interested to discuss how we can accommodate individual requirements.
This role may require security clearance and offers of employment will be dependent on obtaining the relevant level of clearance. If this is necessary, it will be discussed with you at interview.
If applying to this role please do not make reference to (in conversation) or include in your application or CV, details of any current or previously held security clearance.
ATKINS, part of the SNC Lavalin Group, is committed to having a diverse and inclusive workforce. As an Equal Opportunities Employer, we value applications from all backgrounds, cultures and ability.
Atkins, a member of SNC-Lavalin company, is a world-leader in engineering, design consultancy and construction providing our staff with opportunities to work on the most exciting and diverse water pro
“Do you have the drive, technical capability and strategic approach to work with us as an Associate Director for Desalination, leading and shaping the future of Atkins’ worldwide service offerings and
Our Latest Articles
Recently viewed jobs