Senior / Principal Ecologist
Senior / Principal Ecologist
SNC-Lavalin’s Atkins business is one of the world’s most respected design, engineering and project management consultancies, with over 50,000 employees worldwide. At Atkins, we offer more than just a job. We offer an opportunity to make a difference and shape the world to benefit future generations and the natural environment. We work on challenging and exciting projects across a range of market sectors including transportation, cities, water, energy and defence
Atkins Ecology aims to be at the forefront of innovation and technological advances, and actively encourage staff to contribute and develop new ideas. Our team and projects have won awards and commendations for biodiversity enhancements, innovation and knowledge sharing, including winning the CIEEM 2018 Large-Scale Consultancy of the Year Award and being Highly Commended in both 2019 and 2020.
To meet our growing project workload we are looking for an experienced and enthusiastic Senior/Principal Ecologist to be based in our Glasgow team.
What you will be doing
- Leading on nationally important infrastructure projects, managing project programmes and budgets;
- Collaborating with our multi-disciplinary teams within the region;
- Planning and co-ordinating field surveys, analysing and interpreting survey results;
- Undertaking stakeholder engagement;
- Designing and co-ordinating ecological mitigation works;
- Reviewing of Preliminary Ecological Appraisals, Habitats Regulations Appraisals, Ecological Impact Assessments and Biodiversity Chapters for Environmental Statements;
- Reviewing and providing guidance on protected species licence applications; and
- Managing work enquiries, preparing bids and building client relationships.
Ideally, you would have the following qualifications and/or attributes:
- A degree in ecology or closely related field;
- Membership of the Chartered Institute of Ecology and Environmental Management (CIEEM), chartership, or being on the route to chartership is also required;
- Exceptional working knowledge of UK and EU Wildlife Legislation, planning policies, licensing requirements and best practice survey techniques;
- Demonstrable experience of survey, assessment and licensing for Scottish species and habitats;
- Be capable of leading project teams, responsible and/or accountable for project scope, risks and resource requirements;
- Be accomplished at undertaking survey, reporting and review of Preliminary Ecological Appraisals, Habitat Regulations Appraisals, Ecological Impact Assessments and Biodiversity Chapters for Environmental Statements;
- Experience of preparing and reviewing protected species licence applications;
- Demonstrable specialist ecological knowledge, such strong botanical survey skills and/or survey skills for one or more protected species;
- Demonstrable experience of developing and delivering complex mitigation solutions;
- Demonstrable experience in stakeholder engagement;
- Hold at least one protected species survey licence;
- Experience or an interest in staff development and management;
- Excellent communication skills; and
- A full valid UK/EEC driving licence.
What we offer
we understand the need for a diverse and flexible workforce, where a work-life balance is important. So, by default Atkins offers flexible working, where there is no fixed 9 ‘till 5, no need for a 5-day week, no requirement for a full-time contract, and no requirement to spend all your working time in the office. Our IT systems support home-working, so where you have parental or carer duties; or you simply need to be elsewhere for a parcel, servicing your car, or waiting in for a tradesperson; Atkins will work for you. Similarly, Atkins’ corporate social responsibility provides the opportunity to give something back to the community, and we run professional networks supporting groups such as local schools, charities, parents, those coming out of the armed-forces and women in engineering.
Atkins develops individuals through a portfolio of training and development activities designed to help you make the best of your abilities and talents. These are reviewed with individuals through an annual development process. We support staff in achieving and maintaining membership of relevant institutions. You will also be part of our global Technical Networks, which provide a flow of technically orientated information and ideas through the company. Atkins will support you in your professional development, whether with the IEMA, CIWEM or others. This includes paying your annual membership and providing access to training.
Rewards and Benefits
We offer a competitive salary that is regularly tested against other consultants with a default 25-days leave each year plus bank holidays and options to buy some or sell of that leave.
To support and safeguard your physical and mental wellbeing we provide an employee assistance programme offering advice and support in times of need. Our offices run their own sports and social club providing activities such wine tasting, as surf trips, and a kids’ Christmas party. You will also have access to our Flexible Benefits, where you can opt in to a wide range of benefits to complement your work/life balance: such as medical insurance, gym membership, the cycle-to-work scheme, child care vouchers, charitable giving, additional pension contributions etc.
Please refer to our website for details of our full benefits package . https://yourrewarduk.snclavalin.com/
This role may require security clearance and offers of employment will be dependent on obtaining the relevant level of clearance. If this is necessary, it will be discussed with you at interview. If applying to this role please do not make reference to (in conversation) or include in your application or CV, details of any current or previously held security clearance.
Atkins recognise that there are many well qualified people who are looking to further their career, but who cannot commit to full time employment. We support flexible working arrangements and are interested to discuss how we can accommodate individual requirements.ATKINS, part of the SNC Lavalin Group, is committed to having a diverse and inclusive workforce. As an Equal Opportunities Employer, we value applications from all backgrounds, cultures and ability.
We are sorry but we currently have no jobs in this area.
Continue browsing to look at our other available opportunities
Our Latest Articles
Recently viewed jobs