Senior Principal Electrical Engineer
This position has primary responsibility for executing Electrical Engineering work and project level coordination of all Electrical Engineering activities and possibly multiple office project execution. Ensuring all engineering work is completed on schedule, on budget and in accordance with client and company established work procedures. This position requires a thorough knowledge of Electrical Engineering and engineering techniques generally in the Power sector. Specific areas of expertise: Switchgear/MCC/Switchyard/substation/relay protection and coordination, plant load studies/grounding and lightning protection, EHV/HV/MV/LV distribution, arc flash studies, black start, islanding and standby power designs (microgrid). Responsibilities may include planning schedules and budgets, supporting proposals, modifying drawings, specifications, calculations and leading the design team in new approaches to streamline deliverables.
- Work on medium or large size engineering projects with minimum supervision
- Able to lead a team of electrical engineers and designers on major projects as a lead engineer and/or engineer of record
- Define scope of work, prepare estimate (all classes from conceptual to detailed) and schedule for electrical engineering portion of work in a project
- Prepare accurate and complete designs and calculations as required to meet project requirements
- Work in coordination with other discipline leads to ensure effective quality product
- Conduct field investigations when needed; produce field reports with detailed sketches
- Keep up to date on new engineering processes, techniques, and IMS and standards
- Develop and recommend improvements in engineering and design standards to lower cost and improve work quality and facilitate maintenance
- Investigate and resolve unusual design and field engineering problems by devising new approaches
- Ensure that effective methods and design/engineering techniques are used
- Resolve project issues and problems
- Provide technical guidance to co-workers
- Collaborate with design team to maximize design value
- Provide input to the Department Manager during the preparation of the performance evaluation of the electrical engineers / designers assigned to his/her project
- Must be able to work with the team in developing improved work processes for the department
- Work autonomously without direct supervision
- Generate work-hour estimates and forecasts
- Budget and schedule responsibility
- Multiple office project execution
- Perform other duties as assigned
- BSEE degree plus 15 years of hands on engineering experience required in Thermal Power, Renewables or other heavy industries. Experience as a Lead for at least five years is required.
- P.E. license (ability WA state, or ability to get P.E. license in WA state) is required.
- Excellent verbal, written communication skills required.
- In depth knowledge of electrical calculation computer applications (ETAP, SKM, CDEGS).
- Demonstrated ability to adapt to changes in technology.
- Ability to integrate new technologies into daily work processes
- Experience working with other disciplines understanding their interface requirements.
- Experience with design and/or construction of plants desirable.
- In depth knowledge of NEC, IEC & IEEE standards, methods and practices.
- Experience working in the Engineering Services market preferred.
- MS Office (Must be highly proficient in Excel and Word, working knowledge in Access) and SmartPlant experience required.
- Basic design and construction knowledge required.
- Familiar with PIP as well as Electric Utility (NESC) Standards.
- Working knowledge of electrical layout and design complying with industry standards.