Atkins’ UK Transportation business brings together the capabilities of our Rail, Highway and Local Transport teams, into a single business of 3,000 talented engineering professionals transport planners and consultants. The unique breadth of services in Transportation, combined with our scale, makes Atkins the leading UK transportation infrastructure consultancy. We create a culture and environment to inspire our people, ensure collaboration with our clients and continue to shape the future of mobility.
Our Transportation Business is currently seeking a Senior or Principal Engineer in our bridges, civils and geomatics team in Chelmsford. The successful candidate will support the delivery of a wide variety of multi-disciplinary projects in Chelmsford and the wider UK, including major highways improvement schemes, local authority schemes and the Highways England Eastern Region contract.
Using your people, technical and delivery skills, you’ll be responsible for delivering a variety of structural and bridge design packages for new highways schemes, maintenance and assessment works. Your duties will include the management of both individual design packages and entire projects, managing resources and project finances to ensure our schemes are delivered profitably, to programme, and in accordance with Atkins’ quality assurance systems.
You will have a background in bridges/structural design and experience in delivering a range of multi-disciplinary projects within the highway and local authority environments. You’ll be familiar with working in large, geographically dispersed multidisciplinary design teams on projects at varying stages of development from feasibility through to detailed design.
- BEng / MEng or MSc degree in civil engineering or equivalent.
- Chartered status and membership of the ICE, IHT or IStructE.
- The role will be varied, requiring a balance of relevant industry experience, technical ability, people, stakeholder management and project management skills. Essential criteria are noted below:
- Experience of working with key clients such as Highways England, Local Authorities and major Contractors.
- Ability to lead bids and tenders.
- Sufficient experience to undertake technical reviews of designs.
- Good understanding of relevant design standards (e.g. DMRB, TSRGD, MCHW, Eurocodes and those of Highways England and Manual for Streets).
- Ability to develop and agree scopes and manage the internal technical supply chain, including budgets, programme and quality of deliverables, delivering within set time frame.
- Strong project management skills, commercial awareness, financial control and ability to deliver across a range of contract types. This will include an ability to manage stakeholders, e.g. specialist suppliers, independent checkers and local authorities.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills with the ability to converse with a wide range of Clients and colleagues across a number of engineering disciplines.
- Experience of line/team management.
- Experience of work winning and developing Client relationships.
- Excellent spoken and written English.
- We are looking for an enthusiastic individual to work in a dynamic environment as part of a wider team. The preferred candidate will be able to take ownership of their projects and responsibilities and will be comfortable working independently and leading a team. This is an exciting opportunity for someone with team or line management experience, strong leadership skills, with the opportunity to manage and grow our Eastern region team, for the right candidate.
Flexible Benefits and Training
- The health and wellbeing of our staff is paramount, and as such Atkins offers a wide range of flexible benefits for all employees. Benefits include flexible holiday packages, bike4work, corporate gym membership and health insurance discounts and 24h access to our Employee Assistance Programme for confidential support on both personal and work-related issues.
- Flexible and part-time working is also a key part of Atkins approach to health and wellbeing, and as such applicants are welcome to discuss their specific working requirements if invited for interview. Full details of our benefits package can be found here: https://www.yourrewardatkins.com/#benefits
- Providing exceptional training for our staff is a cornerstone of our commitment to our workforce, and as such the successful candidate can expect mentoring and development throughout their career with Atkins.
- We develop our individuals through a portfolio of training and development activities designed to help you make the best of your abilities and talents. These are reviewed with individuals through annual and mid-year appraisals, supplemented by regular 1-2-1s with line managers.
Atkins recognize that there are many well qualified people who are looking to further their career, but who cannot commit to full time employment. We support flexible working arrangements and are interested to discuss how we can accommodate individual requirements
ATKINS, part of the SNC Lavalin Group, is committed to having a diverse and inclusive workforce. As an Equal Opportunities Employer, we value applications from all backgrounds, cultures and ability.
This role may require security clearance and offers of employment will be dependent on obtaining the relevant level of clearance. If this is necessary, it will be discussed with you at interview.
If applying to this role please do not make reference to (in conversation) or include in your application or CV, details of any current or previously held security clearance.
Highways EngineerAtkins’ UK Transportation business brings together the capabilities of our Rail, Highway and Local Transport teams, into a single business of 3,000 talented engineering professionals
Our Latest Articles
Recently viewed jobs