Senior/Principal Environmental Consultant
Senior/Principal Environmental Consultant
Atkins as part of the SNC-Lavalin’s business is one of the world’s leading Design, Engineering and Project Management Consultancies. We have the breadth and depth of expertise to respond to the most technically challenging and time critical infrastructure projects. The Contaminated Land and Hydrogeology Practice is a well-established, award winning, multi-disciplinary, environmental and engineering practice with an extensive portfolio of regeneration and development projects and a highly skilled team winning numerous industry awards over the years.
We have a great opportunity for a dynamic and motivated Senior/Principal Consultant specialising in Contaminated Land and Brownfield development to join our Contaminated Land and Hydrogeology team in Bristol. We are seeking an experienced environmental scientist or geologist to take a leading role and input into some of our exciting and challenging contaminated land projects. The work involves local and national projects and frameworks being delivered by Atkins across a range of exciting markets, including the development of Cities, Transportation and Energy Infrastructure. We are looking for someone with the drive and enthusiasm to embrace the future of the industry.
Our Practice provides support to a number of the UK’s largest infrastructure projects as well as a number of national frameworks with some of the UK’s most knowledgeable clients servicing a range of complex and challenging brownfield sites. Our national practice has considerable experience working with private clients / developers on the investigation, assessment, remediation and redevelopment of brownfield land as well as servicing internal teams for road, rail and other infrastructure and energy projects.
We are looking for highly motivated, proactive, confident and ambitious individuals with excellent communication, writing and presentation skills and proven experience in the field of contaminated land investigation, reclamation, remediation and earthworks. The individual must be capable of delivering the high standard of geo-environmental consultancy services for which Atkins is renowned. The successful applicant will have a proven technical, commercial and project management track record. Candidates should have the right flare and ability to help us develop and expand our infrastructure and energy capability by building and developing our existing and rapidly expanding portfolio and clients.
The successful candidate will be an important part of an innovative and technically excellent team helping deliver major projects. As a member of our team you will be involved in range of office- and site-based projects, working with our experienced staff to deliver excellence to our clients, and will work closely with a wide range of other professionals to deliver holistic solutions to environmental and engineering problems.
- Providing technical guidance, constructive support and mentoring to junior staff and supporting their technical development.
- Supporting senior management in developing new business and clients and the preparation of commercial offers to win work.
- Liaison with clients, stakeholders, regulators, sub-contractors and other internal disciplines.
- Project management and technical delivery of a wide variety of projects including management of finances, and programme delivery.
- Organising / managing / reviewing Phase 1 Desk Studies and Phase 2 site investigations and reporting.
- Preparation of Remediation, Reclamation and Earthworks Specifications.
- Compliance with Health and Safety Policies and Procedures, including preparing and reviewing health and safety plans for site investigation and managing health and safety on site.
- Working with the local and wider Atkins team in advancing local and national projects.
- Supervision of contractors on earthworks, demolition schemes, remediation schemes, materials management projects, etc.
- Developing own competence and maintain CPD necessary to fulfil the responsibilities of the role, with support from the business on own training and development needs.
- Degree qualified in a relevant engineering or science subject (e.g. geology, geotechnics, hydrogeology, chemistry, environmental science).
- Masters qualified in a relevant specialism preferred, but not essential.
- A minimum of 10 years relevant post-graduate experience.
- Chartered with GeolSoc, IES, IEMA, CIWEM or equivalent. If not Chartered, we would expect the candidate, with our support, to become chartered 6 to 12 months after joining.
- Demonstrate a proven track record in contaminated land investigation and assessment with knowledge and experience in Phase 1 Desk Studies, Phase 2 Site Investigations, options appraisals, and remediation design, supervision and verification / validation for a range of different types of projects and clients.
- Demonstrate a proven track record of project management of contaminated land and brownfield projects including managing project teams resulting in delivery to high standards.
- Commercial awareness and understanding including being able to complete tenders.
- Working knowledge and demonstrable understanding of the relevant legislation, technical guidance, industry standards and best practice.
- Excellent communication skills and proven ability to manage and mentor staff as well as managing time and work as part of a team as well as individual working.
- Flexible and prepared to take on new challenges.
- Ability and willingness to travel throughout the UK and work on short term assignments.
- Full UK driving licence.
What we offer
Atkins recognise that there are many well qualified people who are looking to further their career, but who cannot commit to full time employment. We support flexible working arrangements and are interested to discuss how we can accommodate individual requirements
Atkins develops individuals through a portfolio of training and development activities designed to help you make the best of your abilities and talents. These are reviewed with individuals through an annual appraisal process. We actively support staff in achieving corporate membership of relevant institutions such as IEMA, RTPI, LI, ICE, CIEEM, and CIWEM.
Rewards and Benefits
Please refer to our website for details of our full benefits package . https://www.yourrewardatkins.com/#benefits
This role may require security clearance and offers of employment will be dependent on obtaining the relevant level of clearance. If this is necessary, it will be discussed with you at interview. If applying to this role please do not make reference to (in conversation) or include in your application or CV, details of any current or previously held security clearance. ATKINS, part of the SNC Lavalin Group, is committed to having a diverse and inclusive workforce. As an Equal Opportunities Employer, we value applications from all backgrounds, cultures and ability.
We are sorry but we currently have no jobs in this area.
Continue browsing to look at our other available opportunities
Our Latest Articles
Recently viewed jobs