Senior/Principal Geo-environmental or Engineering Geologist
We have a great opportunity for a dynamic and motivated Senior/Principal Geo-environmental Engineer or Engineering Geologist to grow our Contaminated Land & Hydrogeology team in Birmingham. We are seeking an experienced engineer or geologist to take a leading role and input into some of our exciting and challenging contaminated land and ground engineering projects joining a strong team of 19 geo-environmental and geotechnical engineers, environmental consultants and hydrogeologists. The work involves local, national and international projects and frameworks being delivered by Atkins across a range of exciting markets, including the development of Cities, Transportation and Energy Infrastructure. We are looking for someone with the drive and enthusiasm to embrace the future of the industry. We have the depth of knowledge and breadth of expertise to help you build a bright career in this exciting and rapidly evolving sector.
SNC Lavalin’s Atkins business is one of the world’s leading engineering and design consultancies; we have the breadth and depth of expertise to respond to the most technically challenging and time critical infrastructure projects. The Contaminated Land & Hydrogeology Practice is a well-established, award winning, multi-disciplinary, environmental and engineering practice with an extensive portfolio of regeneration and development projects and a highly skilled team; notably with staff winning various awards over the past years.
Our Practice provides support to a number of the UK’s largest infrastructure projects as well as a number of national frameworks with some of the UK’s most knowledgeable clients servicing a range of complex and challenging brownfield sites. Our national practice has considerable experience working with private clients / developers on the investigation, assessment, remediation and redevelopment of brownfield land as well as servicing internal teams for road, rail and other infrastructure and energy projects.
We are looking for highly motivated, proactive, confident and ambitious individuals with excellent communication, writing and presentation skills and proven experience in the field of contaminated land investigation, reclamation, remediation and earthworks. The individual must be capable of delivering the high standard of geo-environmental consultancy services for which Atkins is renowned. The successful applicant will have a proven technical, commercial and project management track record. Candidates should have the right flare and ability to help us develop and expand our infrastructure and energy capability by building on our existing and rapidly expanding portfolio.
- Providing technical guidance, constructive support and mentoring to junior staff and supporting their technical development.
- Liaison with clients, stakeholders, regulators, sub contractors and other internal disciplines.
- Project management and the technical delivery of a wide variety of projects including management of finances, and programme delivery.
- Organising / managing / checking Phase 1 Desk Studies.
- Design Phase 2 site investigations, complete specification, contracts and bills of quantities and preparation of tenders / tender assessments.
- Organising / managing Phase 2 site investigation and monitoring works, including contractor supervision, soil sampling and ground gas/vapour/groundwater/surface water monitoring/sampling, scheduling or supporting others in contractor management, liaison and supervision.
- Preparation of Remediation, Reclamation and Earthworks Specifications.
- Preparation of H&S Plans for site investigations and managing health and safety.
- Supervision of contractors on earthworks, demolition schemes, remediation schemes, materials management projects, etc.
- Factual and interpretative reporting.
- Supporting senior management in developing new business and the preparation of commercial offers.
- Working with the local and wider Atkins team in advancing local and national projects.
- Developing own competence and maintain CPD necessary to fulfil the responsibilities of the role, with support from the business on own training and development needs.
- Degree qualified in a relevant engineering or science subject (e.g. geology, geotechnics, hydrogeology, chemistry, environmental science) with 2.1 achievement or better.
- Masters qualified in a relevant specialism preferred, but not essential.
- Chartered with GeolSoc, IES, IEMA, CIWEM or equivalent. If not Chartered, we would expect the candidate, with our support, to become chartered 6 to 12 months after joining.
- Demonstrate a proven track record in contaminated land investigation and assessment with knowledge and experience in Phase 1 Desk Studies, Phase 2 Site Investigations, options appraisals, and remediation design, supervision and verification / validation for a range of different types of projects and clients.
- Demonstrate a proven track record of project management of contaminated land and brownfield projects including managing project teams resulting in delivery to high standards.
- Relevant H&S training, e.g. CSCS, CITB Site Supervisors Safety Training Scheme, HSG47, SHEA Gas and SCO 1& 2, Persons & BESC.
- Experience and knowledge of NEC3 contracts and gasworks and coal carbonisation-related land contamination sites, electricity substation and high voltage-related land contamination sites is desirable, but not essential.
- Experience in the supervision of reclamation / remediation works and earthworks.
- Commercial awareness and understanding including being able to complete tenders.
- Ability and willingness to travel throughout the UK and work on short term assignments.
- Full UK driving licence.
We welcome the opportunity to discuss a flexible working pattern and flexible working locations for this vacancy. For roles advertised under the category of flexible working we would encourage you to explore the flexible working options we are able to offer during the interview process.
Atkins is committed to developing its staff and has recently established a professional’s programme which focuses the professional development of senior staff within the company. Atkins also invests in the core technical disciplines that comprise our business with established technical network forums for contaminated land and brownfield regeneration which drives knowledge sharing, staff development and innovation across our practice and broader business.
We encourage participation in all forms of training and have an active programme of in-house and well as external training in addition to the professional program and technical networks noted above.
Rewards and Benefits
Please refer to our website for details of our full benefits package.