Senior/Principal Geotechnical Engineer/Engineering Geologist
As one of the UK’s leading geotechnical consultancies Atkins offers a comprehensive service in ground technology. With a team of more than 250 geotechnical specialists working together from offices throughout the UK, Atkins’ geotechnical reputation is built on the skills, excellence and commitment of our people in all aspects of geotechnical engineering. If you are a well-qualified Principal Geotechnical Engineer or Engineering Geologist, with the drive and enthusiasm to embrace new challenges, here’s an opportunity to play a prominent role in the further growth of one of the leading ground engineering groups in the world. We are looking for a driven individual to lead and grow our ground engineering team in Belfast. In our Belfast office we have a rapidly expanding workload and an exciting portfolio of prestigious geotechnical projects both across the UK and internationally.
We see a bright future as we adapt and strengthen our technical expertise in growth areas, such as Energy, Mass Transit and Major Infrastructure. We need to increase our resources to meet the growing demands from our clients, especially in the infrastructure sector. The team have undertaken prestigious and notable work for a number of key local and international clients such as Department for Infrastructure, Rivers Agency, Northern Ireland Water, Translink as well as projects for Scottish Water, Network Rail, Highways England and Transport Scotland. Candidates should have:
- Extensive experience in one or more of the following sectors: highways, rail or water geotechnics
- A strong academic background with a relevant degree, MSc or equivalent
- Chartered status as a Civil Engineer or Geologist
- Proven experience of acting as a Principal/Senior Geotechnical engineer in a fast-moving engineering consultancy environment
- Strong geotechnical design skills and ability to assess complex problems and deliver appropriate solutions
- Excellent interpersonal and technical skills and the ability to develop and lead geotechnical design, delivering schemes to a high technical standard on time and within budget
- Excellent communication skills and confidence to liaise with and develop long term relationships with clients at the highest level to ensure the commercial and technical success of projects
- Excellent report writing skills with the ability to self-check and produce accurate work
- A flair for innovation
- Project management - experience and understanding of the needs and approaches to the engineering consultancy and design markets, including relationships with clients, work planning and commercial management
- The candidate should be able to operate as a project manager within Atkins, and as Atkins project manager for external clients
- A willingness to travel on short assignments both within the UK and overseas
- A valid driving licence
Training and Development
The learning and development experience in our Ground Engineering team is different to that at most other companies.
Here we thoroughly recognise the importance of our people and we invest for the long term to provide them with the technical, commercial and managerial expertise they need throughout their career.
At Atkins our staff continue to learn and develop irrespective of their position or experience.Our investment includes our acclaimed technical conferences, regular presentations and discussion groups, field trips, bespoke training courses as well as active on the job mentoring.
We also have our Ground Engineering Academy to provide structured support and encouragement to staff in their progression to chartership.
Fulfilling learning and development experiences include the opportunity for international assignments in a variety of countries.
We have also increased our investment even further by launching our Ground Engineering Professionals Programme, facilitating strong professional development to match the passion and skills of our talented people post-chartership.
We welcome the opportunity to discuss a flexible working pattern for this vacancy. For roles advertised under the category of flexible working we would encourage you to explore the flexible working options we are able to offer during the interview process.
ATKINS, part of the SNC Lavalin Group, is committed to having a diverse and inclusive workforce. As an Equal Opportunities Employer, we value applications from all backgrounds, cultures and ability.
This role may require security clearance and offers of employment will be dependent on obtaining the relevant level of clearance. If this is necessary it will be discussed with you at interview.
If applying to this role please do not make reference to (in conversation) or include in your application or CV, details of any current or previously held security clearance.
Our Latest Articles