Senior/Principal Geotechnical Engineer
Senior/Principal Geotechnical Engineer
We have an opportunity for a dynamic and motivated Senior/Principal Geotechnical Engineer based in our Glasgow or Edinburgh offices.
SNC-Lavalin’s Atkins business is one of the world’s most respected design, engineering and project management consultancies, with over 50,000 employees worldwide. At Atkins, we offer more than just a job. We offer an opportunity to make a difference and shape the world to benefit future generations and the natural environment.
We are seeking an experienced Senior / Principal Geotechnical Engineer to join our geotechnical team in Scotland working in the energy and infrastructure sectors. This is a fantastic opportunity to take a leading role in the ground engineering input to some of our most challenging projects.
As one of the UK’s leading geotechnical consultancies Atkins offers a comprehensive service in ground technology. With more than 350 UK based geotechnical professionals, Atkins’ geotechnical reputation is built on the skills, excellence and commitment of our people in all aspects of geotechnical engineering.
Atkins has an impressive current portfolio of prestigious geotechnical projects in the UK and internationally. We need to increase our team to meet the growing demands from our clients, especially in the infrastructure sector (particularly rail, highways & water) and the energy sector, which includes carbon capture & storage, renewable energy (wind, current and hydro-power), low carbon engineering, offshore and onshore oil & gas and nuclear power.
In our Scottish offices we have a rapidly expanding workload and an exciting portfolio of prestigious geotechnical projects in the UK and internationally we need to increase our resources to meet the growing demands from our clients, especially in the infrastructure sector. As a result, we’re looking to grow our team. We are looking for someone with the drive and enthusiasm to embrace the future. We have the depth of knowledge and breadth of expertise to help you build a bright career in this exciting and rapidly evolving sector.
- The successful applicant will be a senior/principal geotechnical engineer with a proven technical and project management track record. The role will include the mentoring of junior geotechnical engineers and therefore good communication skills are essential.
- The candidate will have a degree in civil engineering or geology with a post graduate qualification in a geotechnical subject and hold chartered status as either a civil engineer or geologist.
- Candidates should have the right flare and ability that will help us develop and expand our infrastructure geotechnics capability by building on the existing portfolio of our rapidly expanding, flexible and outward looking team that can tackle work across a broad spectrum of sectors.
Candidates should have:
- Extensive experience in one or more of the following sectors: highways, rail or water geotechnics.
- A strong academic background with a relevant degree (ideally MSc or equivalent)
- Chartered status.
- Proven experience of acting as a senior/principal geotechnical engineer in a fast-moving engineering consultancy environment.
- Project management - Experience and understanding of the needs and approaches to the engineering consultancy and design markets, including relationships with clients, work planning and commercial management.
- Proven geotechnical design experience.
- Application of CDM Regulations in a design and ground investigation environment.
- Excellent interpersonal and technical skills and the ability to develop and lead geotechnical design teams.
- Excellent communication skills and confidence to liaise with clients.
- Good commercial track record in negotiating and running successful jobs.
- Excellent report writing skills with the ability to self-check and produce accurate work.
- A willingness to travel on short assignments both within the UK and overseas.
- A valid UK driving licence.
What we offer?
Atkins recognise that there are many well qualified people who are looking to further their career, but who cannot commit to full time employment. We support flexible working arrangements and are interested to discuss how we can accommodate individual requirements. As part of this commitment, we understand the need for a diverse and flexible workforce, where a work-life balance is important. So, by default Atkins offers flexible working, where there is no fixed 9 ‘till 5, no need for a 5-day week, no requirement for a full-time contract, and no requirement to spend all your working time in the office.
Our IT systems support homeworking, so where you have parental or career duties; or you simply need to be elsewhere for a parcel, servicing your car, or waiting in for a tradesperson; Atkins will work for you. Similarly, Atkins’ corporate social responsibility provides the opportunity to give something back to the community, and we run professional networks supporting groups such as local schools, charities, parents, those coming out of the armed-forces and women in engineering.
Rewards and Benefits:
We offer a competitive salary that is regularly tested against other consultants with a default 25-days leave each year plus bank holidays and options to buy some or sell of that leave. Salary and benefits will be commensurate with experience and qualifications.
To support and safeguard your physical and mental wellbeing we provide an employee assistance programme offering advice and support in times of need. Our offices run their own sports and social clubs providing a wide range of activities. You will also have access to our Flexible Benefits, where you can opt in to a wide range of benefits to complement your work/life balance: such as medical insurance, gym membership, the cycle-to-work scheme, child care vouchers, charitable giving, additional pension contributions etc.
Please refer to our website for details of our full benefits package.
Training and Development:
Atkins develops individuals through a portfolio of training and development activities designed to help you make the best of your abilities and talents. These are reviewed with individuals through an annual development process. We support staff in achieving and maintaining membership of relevant institutions. You will also be part of our global Technical Networks, which provide a flow of technically orientated information and ideas through the company.
The learning and development experience in our Ground Engineering team is different to that at most other companies. Here we thoroughly recognise the importance of our people and we invest for the long term to provide them with the technical, commercial and managerial expertise they need throughout their career. At Atkins our staff continue to learn and develop irrespective of their position or experience.
Our investment includes our acclaimed technical conferences, regular presentations and discussion groups, field trips, bespoke training courses as well as active on the job mentoring. Fulfilling learning and development experiences include the opportunity for international assignments in a variety of countries.
We have also increased our investment even further by launching our Ground Engineering Professionals Programme, facilitating strong professional development to match the passion and skills of our talented people post Chartership.
We welcome the opportunity to discuss a flexible working pattern for this vacancy. For roles advertised under the category of flexible working we would encourage you to explore the flexible working options we are able to offer during the interview process.
ATKINS, part of the SNC Lavalin Group, is committed to having a diverse and inclusive workforce. As an Equal Opportunities Employer, we value applications from all backgrounds, cultures and ability.
This role may require security clearance and offers of employment will be dependent on obtaining the relevant level of clearance. If this is necessary, it will be discussed with you at interview.
If applying to this role please do not make reference to (in conversation) or include in your application or CV, details of any current or previously held security clearance.
We are sorry but we currently have no jobs in this area.
Continue browsing to look at our other available opportunities
Our Latest Articles
Recently viewed jobs