Senior/Principal Mechanical Engineer
Senior/Principal Mechanical Engineer
Senior/Principal Mechanical Engineer -
Birmingham, Derby, Bristol, Epsom, or Warrington
Atkins, an SNC-Lavalin company, is a world-leader in engineering and design consultancy and construction; we have the breadth and depth of expertise to respond to the most technically challenging and time-critical infrastructure projects. Applying a networked management approach, and with a focus on staff empowerment, trust and agility, our fast-paced business can match your ambitions. The Infrastructure division is currently looking for senior/principal mechanical engineers to join our mechanical, electrical and process (MEP) teams in various UK locations and we plan to utilise your specialist skills to provide innovative multidisciplinary engineering solutions for our clients.
The national MEP practice is a well-established, multidisciplinary, water engineering team. We have an extensive portfolio of UK and International projects, helping our clients address asset creation, process improvement and plant optimisation needs. Our locally focused teams incorporate expert process, mechanical and electrical engineers who provide a multidisciplinary approach to solving our clients’ problems in creating, managing, building and investing in water and wastewater infrastructure.
By drawing on the experience and knowledge of our worldwide mechanical engineering technical network you will be encouraged to enhance your continuing professional development through developing and exploiting ground-breaking technological engineering advances within the water industry. From this class-leading technical foundation, your abilities will be developed to allow you to craft innovative, sustainable solutions and help us and our clients to take advantage of the digital revolution and embed resilience in our delivered solutions. And you will help us let the world know just how good you and we are at this!
Degree-qualified and ideally chartered, you will have the right blend of management skills, personal qualities and technical expertise to bring our solutions and projects to life. You will be positive and enthusiastic, a confident communicator at all levels, and a team player. You will have spent a high proportion of your career in the water industry and in positions of responsibility, and have a solid understand of the investment process (strategy, need, feasibility, design, realise, manage) as it relates to water utility projects. You will encourage and motivate those around you to work to your own high standards of quality and compliance. Using your own and our technical knowledge networks you will both educate and learn from those around you. You will be happy to stretch yourself and work outside of your comfort zone when the need arises.
Why work with us?
As mechanical engineers, we understand the importance of water treatment plant and equipment. Our clients’ core business may be municipal water and wastewater services, or alternatively water and wastewater treatment may be a utility on which their core business depends. We know that treating the right quantity of water to the right quality at the lowest whole life cost and carbon is fundamental. This is enabled with smart, efficient and experienced mechanical engineering - we deliver innovative, cost-effective and sustainable wet infrastructure solutions to our clients. Smart mechanical engineering starts by understanding the fundamentals of mechanical asset design, selection and management and then applying knowledge, experience and tools to identify the best value plant for the job. We provide industry-leading mechanical engineering services right through the project lifecycle, with value added in particular during the feasibility, outline and detailed design stages.
We employ a range of proprietary and in-house developed digital tools to facilitate our work. We use 3D laser scanning and 360o cameras to quickly establish plant constraints. We create and use intelligent P+IDs linked up with advanced, 3D, plant visualization and virtual reality techniques to immerse the designer and the operator in the solutions we create. We have pump selection, sizing and optimizing models that allow us to give our clients exactly what they need – optimal, efficient and cost-effective solutions to their often complex and conflicting problems.
Our people demonstrate thought leadership and align us with our clients’ values and desired outcomes at project and programme level. We champion sustainable, best value solutions and deliver them more effectively by being, individually and collectively, faster, smarter and more reliable.
Rewards, benefits and career development
We offer a comprehensive and competitive salary and benefits package commensurate with the role and your skills and experience. Please refer to our website for further details. Our teams work core hours although specific working hours can in the right circumstances be adjusted to suit the needs of the individual. Working locations, whilst needing to match the requirements of our work and our clients, can also be flexible if the need arises. If flexible working is essential or a preference for you, please let us know so we can discuss what possibilities may exist.
Detailed role requirements:
- Educated to degree level with a mechanical engineering bias; ideally a chartered Member of a recognised engineering institution
- Computer-literate and able to work effectively work with the basic Microsoft suite of programmes as a minimum
- Broad experience within the water and/or wastewater engineering sector
- Ability to provide a customer-focussed service with a sound understanding of the water sector regulatory framework
- Understanding of water and wastewater treatment technologies; an interest in developing and/or exploiting new and emerging technologies and techniques
- Ability to complete assignments on time, within budget and to a high technical standard
- A well-developed understanding of the design process
- An ability to manage and mentor teams and/or individuals and/or projects, potentially split across disciplines, locations and stakeholders
- A developing external profile and reputation; a desire and willingness to raise the profile of oneself and the Company
- Willingness to contribute to and develop our technical knowledge networks
- Excellent interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills
- Well-motivated, with a positive outlook and approachable manner
- Capable of building and maintaining strong relationships with colleagues and clients
- Ability to influence at a project or technical level, inside and outside of the Company
- Ability to be flexible and to multi-task and prioritise when necessary
- Flexible and able to work within the rest of the UK and overseas, as work demands and if necessary
- Leadership qualities in a project team environment
Responsibilities (may vary depending on assignment)
- Plant and infrastructure surveys and assessments, using cutting-edge technologies and techniques as appropriate
- Feasibility, outline and detailed mechanical design, research and development work including equipment specifications, plant schedules, access, lifting and maintenance strategies, technical risk assessments, control philosophies, process flow diagrams, P&IDs and commissioning strategies, cost and programme estimations
- Plant specifications; supplier equipment assessment and evaluation
- Technical report writing at all stages of the project lifecycle
- Liaison with clients within the UK and worldwide.
- Support and/or lead bids, fee proposals or offers of service; development of activity schedules/work plans
- Understanding of HAZOP, DSEAR, CDM, WIMES, Sewers for Adoption, British and European Standards and other statutory, regulatory and non-regulatory provisions and guidance
- Development of standard and bespoke design solutions for the water industry and beyond
- Meet and exceed quality, programme, budgetary and H&S requirements on projects
- Preparing technical papers and presentations for conferences, colleagues and clients
- Support and/or deliver technical and ‘expert witness’ investigations and appraisals
- Ownership of specific skill areas or activities within our technical knowledge networks; contributing to technical network activities, to broaden your and our skills, experience and technical reputation
- Supporting and mentoring less experienced colleagues
- Working with and developing design tools such as system curve calculations, hydraulic calculations, automated design tools, standardised or packaged plant designs
Our technical networks offer fantastic opportunities for you to grow your experience, expertise and reputation amongst your peers and beyond. Our broad range of projects, and wide pool of expert people will help you and your career grow to suit your aspirations and desires. We will help you to develop professionally and personally through a portfolio of training and development activities designed to help you make the best of your abilities and talents. Your development plan will be regularly reviewed through an on-going career development process. We actively support staff who seek to achieve membership of relevant professional institutions.
This role may require security clearance and offers of employment will be dependent on obtaining the relevant level of clearance. If this is necessary, it will be discussed with you at interview.
If applying to this role please do not make reference to (in conversation) or include in your application or CV, details of any current or previously held security clearance.
Atkins recognise that there are many well qualified people who are looking to further their career, but who cannot commit to full time employment. We support flexible working arrangements and are interested to discuss how we can accommodate individual requirements.
ATKINS, part of the SNC Lavalin Group, is committed to having a diverse and inclusive workforce. As an Equal Opportunities Employer, we value applications from all backgrounds, cultures and ability.
We are sorry but we currently have no jobs in this area.
Continue browsing to look at our other available opportunities
Our Latest Articles
Recently viewed jobs