Senior/Principal Systems Engineer
SNC-Lavalin Group Member, Atkins, is a member of the Aurora Engineering Partnership which, subject to contract, will support the Defence Equipment & Support (DE&S) transformation strategy as the Engineering Delivery Partner. We are mobilising to support this contract which is one of the largest and most transformative technical services contracts which DE&S has let. We will advise, support and deliver engineering throughout the next decade, across maritime, air, land and information environments and at all points in the lifecycle, from discovery through to implementation.
Who we are
SNC Lavalin (Atkins) is one of the world’s most respected design, engineering and project management consultancies.
What you will work on
The Systems Discipline team provides engineering support to a large portfolio of programmes and projects across energy, transport, aerospace and security sectors so you can expect to be involved in a diverse range of roles throughout your career with us. We want to offer a supportive, flexible and engaging work environment alongside significant opportunity for our people to develop. Our top corporate value is ‘Outstanding People’ and we want to encourage, develop and support our people in all that they do.
What we are after
We aim to attract applications from a diverse group of people who:
- Share our Values – Safety, Integrity, Collaboration, Innovation
- Are intrinsically motivated by engineering challenges
- Want to use the latest methods and tools and deliver solutions in a better way
- Want to collaborate with those in other disciplines and with partners and clients
- Can act as trusted advisors, leaders and team members
- Are flexible to adapt to new environments, ways of working and roles
- Want to develop continually as professionals
- Are dedicated to delivering high quality output
Where you will work
You will be based in our offices in Bristol. The nature of the work that Atkins undertakes may mean that at times you have to work at client sites away from your home location.
As a proud supporter of the Armed Forces, Atkins’ Employees are supported to participate with one of a number of reserve forces and will receive up to an additional 10 days paid leave to maintain their annual training commitment.
Atkins aims to be supportive and flexible in our approach to assigning particular roles, balancing business and personal needs. You may work on a small consultancy project or as part of a large multi-disciplinary delivery team. You may need to balance your time across a number of projects at the same time or work, with focus, on a single programme for an extended period. Your responsibilities may include:
- Delivering identified engineering outputs within time, cost and quality constraints as part of an engineering service to a client
- Draft and implement strategies to achieve successful client decision milestones
- Provide consultancy to client project and engineering managers
- Fulfil a senior role within a client’s own delivery team
- Managing multi-party and multidisciplinary teams to execute an engineering plan
- Development of engineering documentation e.g. System Requirements Document, Acceptance Plan, Verification & Validation requirements Matrix
- Engage Subject Matter Experts to capture requirements, risks or solution options
- Conduct technical analysis and make recommendations
- Engage with wider industry to understand and shape potential solutions
- Deliver an analysis report to identify key risks and shortfalls
- Participate in or lead Design Reviews
- Implement quality assurance to satisfy both corporate and client
- Achieve client acceptance across a range of engineering deliverables
What we need from you
We value the diversity within our teams and encourage an application if you can meet some, most or all of the requirements here:
- Degree qualified in a relevant discipline such as Engineering, Mathematics, Science, Software or equivalent depth of experience in an engineering field
- Professionally recognised with an appropriate institution e.g. CEng, CSEP
- A minimum of 5 years’ experience in any of these areas:
- Working in complex systems from digital, communications, sensors, platforms to software and advanced technology integration
- Applying Systems Engineering processes (e.g. ISO15288:2015) across the lifecycle
- Using modelling languages e.g. UML, SysML, Archimate
- Managing projects and teams
- Understanding of different tools and techniques applied to engineering to capture requirements and develop solution designs e.g. Model Based Systems Engineering
- Understanding of engineering within the MOD’s procurement framework, Acquisition System Guidance (ASG)
- Strong interpersonal skills and able to build trusted relationships
- Ability to understand, simplify and explain subject matter to non-engineers and senior stakeholders
This role may require security clearance and offers of employment will be dependent on obtaining the relevant level of clearance. If this is necessary it will be discussed with you at interview.
If applying to this role please do not make reference to (in conversation) or include in your application or CV, details of any current or previously held security clearance.
ATKINS, part of the SNC Lavalin Group, is committed to having a diverse and inclusive workforce. As an Equal Opportunities Employer, we value applications from all backgrounds, cultures and ability.