Senior/Principal Systems Safety Engineer
This vacancy has now expired... why not:
Atkins is looking for experienced Railway Engineering Safety Professionals of all levels to help us deliver rail projects of varying scale and discrete studies within our transportation division.
Atkins works from a range of locations in the UK. This opportunity is advertised for positions based within our teams in London, Birmingham and Manchester, other locations may be considered for extraordinary candidates.
The Safety Practice works predominantly in the UK rail domain with some work internationally. We work on many of the major rail infrastructure delivery projects including HS2, Crossrail and East West Rail as well as numerous smaller projects.
We help our clients understand and make decisions confidently in complex situations to ensure that engineering safety is integral to the decision-making process; we cover legislative compliance, independent audit/assessment, technology development, engineering process, scheme development and design, construction and commissioning operations and maintenance. Understanding projects from different stakeholders’ point of view, we help our clients to find the best solutions to their challenges. Working across the wider Atkins design and delivery teams, we support each other to develop and deliver, and take opportunities for socialising together too. We are keen to hear from experienced and committed individuals who are seeking new challenges in their careers.
Becoming a Safety Engineer with Atkins will provide opportunities to:
- Lead the delivery of Engineering Safety Management on major projects working across all engineering disciplines.
- Work with industry leading organisations to define and solve problems, challenge decisions and facilitate our clients' thinking.
- Take a leading role in driving the development and sharing of knowledge across the team, mentoring and developing other staff.
- Work with clients and the wider business to develop and realise opportunities within the rail industry.
- Work with both internal and external customers to deliver Engineering Safety Management – including technical scope definition and management, process definition, solution integration, performance analysis and assurance.
- Engage with stakeholders to ensure that their needs are understood, and shape our services in response.
- Work across the business to align process, share knowledge and drive innovation.
- Continuously develop your skills and competence to maintain professional qualification.
We are looking for systematic thinkers with an appropriate level of understanding of Engineering Safety methods, process and legislation; as well as valid experience within at least one major industry, preferably connected with the railway industry. You should have significant experience within a number of the key areas of:
- Application and management of Engineering Safety Management within the rail industry in accordance with the Common Safety Method for Risk Evaluation and Assessment and BS EN 50126, 50128 & 50129.
- Hazard identification and management techniques.
- Authoring of Safety Cases and Safety Justification Reports.
- Qualitative and/or Quantitative Risk Assessment.
- SIL assessment/development.
- Assessment Body and ISA assessments and/or approval processes.
- Application of TSIs including NoBo and DeBo associated approval processes in accordance with the Railways (Interoperability) Regulations.
- Reliability, Availability & Maintainability (RAM) analysis and assurance.
We support flexible working and equal opportunities as we believe that diverse teams provide the best mix of interpersonal and technical skills needed to exceed our customers’ expectations.
Atkins is a big infrastructure consultancy that offers great scope for developing your career, and we don’t believe there’s a better place to be right now. You’ll develop your skills through experience working on a range of projects we have, with focused training and development whilst working as part of a vibrant and social team. You’ll make the most of your analytical skills, client focus and commercial acumen to deliver interesting, high quality projects. We’re very agile and flexible in the way we work and respond to new challenges, presenting many opportunities to upskill, grow your career and move between sectors.
This role may require security clearance and offers of employment will be dependent on obtaining the relevant level of clearance. If this is necessary it will be discussed with you at interview.
If applying to this role please do not make reference to (in conversation) or include in your application or CV, details of any current or previously held security clearance.
Our Latest Articles