Senior/ Principal Town Planner
Atkins, member of the SNC-Lavalin Group, is one of the world’s leading multi-disciplinary consultancy firms offering unparalleled opportunities for talented individuals in search of a rewarding career. Our Planning and Environment team based in Warrington, Manchester and Leeds works directly with Atkins’ wide range of businesses in the UK and across the world on a variety of major infrastructure and development projects. The Atkins UK Planning and Environment team is one of the UK’s leading consultancies, at the forefront of thought-leadership in the field of Planning. We have lots of interesting projects working for a range of clients including Highways England, Network Rail, EDF, Environment Agency, Homes England, Peel Holdings, the Ministry of Defence and several local authorities and LEPs.
We require experienced Senior and Principal Planners to join our team in the North. The people appointed will join a progressive national planning team with a wide range of client interests in the public and private sectors. The positions will provide additional capacity to deliver our expanding workload and will play a key role in the development of our growing national business. The successful candidates will work within a dynamic multi-disciplinary environment with colleagues in environmental, engineering and design disciplines across the wider Atkins UK and international teams. We are looking for people with a real passion for Planning and the skills to deliver transformative and high quality infrastructure and communities.
There may be a requirement to work out of other UK offices or client offices, where the need arises, to meet the demands of fluctuating workloads. We provide a very flexible working environment with opportunities to work from home and from our regional offices and to hours which suit you. The positions require Chartered Planners combining an excellent track record in planning with experience in providing advice to our growing markets in the development, transportation, energy, aviation and water sectors.
- Preparation of planning applications and relevant supporting documents for a range of development proposals, including planning applications, Transport and Works Act Orders and Development Consent Order applications;
- Negotiation of planning submissions through the consenting process;
- Preparation of strategy and policy documents, evidence-based studies and associated advice;
- Identification, development and pursuit of new business and marketing opportunities across a range of sectors;
- Preparation of tender responses;
- Provision of planning advice to external and internal clients;
- Co-ordination of and / or input into EIAs;
- Management of project or tender opportunities;
- Resource allocation in liaison with the regional manager; and
- Management / mentoring of junior staff.
- A relevant planning degree and full RTPI membership (or related / equivalent qualifications / professional membership);
- Experience working in planning practice or a local authority planning team;
- Sound knowledge of planning law and procedures, including the changing planning system at national, regional and local levels;
- Working knowledge or experience of the infrastructure consenting process;
- Experience in the management and delivery of multi-disciplinary planning projects;
- Experience of working alongside and co-ordinating a range of technical specialists providing input into planning submissions and EIAs;
- Commercial awareness and business development skills would be advantageous.
The individual must be self-motivated, enthusiastic, determined and resilient should be able to demonstrate that they can:
- Work under pressure, with excellent time management skills and success in meeting tight deadlines;
- Manage multiple assignments;
- Work well as part of multi-disciplinary teams with the confidence to input effectively as an individual across a range of projects;
- Prepare accurate reports to a high standard;
- Demonstrate strong verbal communication skills and the aptitude to rationally explain, explore and discuss town planning issues;
- Flexibly apply knowledge and experience to a variety of planning related tasks.
Atkins develops individuals through a portfolio of training and development activities designed to help you make the best of your abilities and talents. These are reviewed with individuals through an annual appraisal process. We actively support staff in achieving chartership and corporate membership of relevant institutions.
Rewards and Benefits
Please refer to our website for details of our full benefits package.
This role may require security clearance and offers of employment will be dependent on obtaining the relevant level of clearance. If this is necessary it will be discussed with you at interview.
If applying to this role please do not make reference to (in conversation) or include in your application or CV, details of any current or previously held security clearance.
ATKINS, part of the SNC Lavalin Group, is committed to having a diverse and inclusive workforce. As an Equal Opportunities Employer, we value applications from all backgrounds, cultures and ability.