Senior Process Engineer (Ammonia)
The person in this position will work closely with all disciplines (engineering, HSE, procurement, quality, etc) and project management to manage design responsibilities and to resolve design related issues associated with the project.
To perform this role successfully, the individual will be responsible for, but not limited to, the following:
- Providing process engineering and technical expertise for clients in the chemical fertilizer industries, with emphasis in Ammonia Synthesis;
- Equipment sizing;
- Hydraulic calculations;
- Heat and mass balance preparation;
- Develop process concepts;
- Carry out technical evaluations and vendor documentation review;
- Develop process design criteria as a basis of the process design;
- Review and direct development of process flow diagrams and piping and instrumentation diagrams;
- Review and direct development of process equipment specifications and data sheets;
- Review and direct development of process safety engineering (relief load estimation, relief system design, and relief valve sizing and selection);
- Provide input to debottlenecking and troubleshooting studies;
- Provide assistance and support to Operations during commissioning and start-up;
- Conduct strategic technology assessments;
- Perform trade-off studies;
- Write detailed engineering reports, studies and briefs;
- Assist in business development activities, such as the preparation of proposals to prospective clients, including development of scopes of work, of execution methodologies, of engineering estimates, definition of project schedules, and the identification of project teams;
- Prepare man-hour estimates;
- Determine process staffing requirements on projects;
- Manage large groups of process engineers on a project including assigning work to staff;
- Prioritize and schedule project process staff work;
- Participate in project cost estimates;
- Provide technical guidance and leadership to process project staff;
- Oversee the technical accuracy, completeness, and quality of all process engineering deliverables and activities on a project.
- Prepare technical quality audits on multiple projects.
- University degree in Chemical Engineering from a recognized institution with 20+ years of experience;
- Registered or eligible for registration as a P.Eng. in the Province of Ontario;
- Minimum 5-10 years of process experience in chemical fertilizer industries, with emphasis in Ammonia Synthesis, both in design and start-up/commissioning of projects;
- Competent analysing outputs and running HYSIS, PROII, FlareNet and Hydraulic Systems;
- Knowledge of process safety methodologies: HAZOP, SIL, LOPA among others;
- Competent to coordinate, review and check work carried out by other engineers;
- Excellent communications skills;
- Capable of working under tight deadlines while achieving objectives;
- Strong interpersonal skills, a positive attitude, and a desire to perform design engineering;
- Ability to deal with competing priorities and manage time appropriately;
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills;
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office software (Word, Excel, Outlook);
- Self-starter with the ability to work independently when required;
- Strong experiences in interdisciplinary coordination;
- Experience in leading teams of engineers and designers on projects.
Appropriate accommodations will be provided upon request throughout the recruitment and hiring process as required by Company policy and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA).
Successful applicants will be notified about SNC-Lavalin’s accommodation policies at the time the employment offer is extended, and the information will be shared with new personnel during the onboarding process.
Founded in 1911, SNC-Lavalin is a global fully integrated professional services and project management company and a major player in the ownership of infrastructure. From offices around the world, SNC-Lavalin's employees are proud to build what matters. Our teams provide comprehensive end-to-end project solutions – including capital investment, consulting, design, engineering, construction, sustaining capital and operations and maintenance – to clients in oil and gas, mining and metallurgy, infrastructure and power. On July 3, 2017, SNC-Lavalin acquired Atkins, one of the world's most respected design, engineering and project management consultancies. http://www.snclavalin.com
At SNC-Lavalin, we seek to hire individuals with diverse characteristics, backgrounds and perspectives. We strongly believe that world-class talent makes no distinctions based on gender, ethnic or national origin, sexual identity and orientation, age, religion or disability, but enriches itself through these differences