Senior Project Manager
R-025795 Senior Project Manager / Project Manager - Major Project Delivery
The Atkins UK Infrastructure Project Delivery Practice (PDP) is the centre of excellence for the delivery of infrastructure projects and the home unit for our project management staff. The team is responsible for delivery of design services across our Markets of Water Infrastructure, Defence Infrastructure, Aviation, Energy, Stations and Urban Developments. These may be delivered as single major projects or a programme of smaller projects. Our Clients include, AWE, Berkeley Homes, BAE Systems, DIO, DE+S, EDF, Horizon, Environment Agency, Heathrow, Birmingham, London City and Gatwick Airports, High Speed 2, The Metropolitan Police, United Utilities, Scottish Water, Port of Cromarty, Sellafield, Seven Trent Water, St Modwen, Thames Water, Transport for London and the FCO.
We have an exciting new opportunity in our Project Delivery Practice for a Senior / Associate Project Managers to be based from our Belfast office. As a Senior / Associate Project Manager you would be responsible for delivery of major multi-disciplinary projects from concept through to construction on our expanding portfolio of the biggest and most challenging projects across all Market Sectors. In the South West region in particular our project delivery team are playing a lead on some of the regions most complex and industry leading projects.
As Senior Project Manager will be responsible for (but not limited to) the following activities:
- The successful delivery of the project to agreed targets, e.g. programme, budget and quality;
- Identifying and agreeing project objectives and developing a strategy for achieving these;
- Identifying and managing any matters that could pose a potential contractual/commercial risk to Atkins;
- Leading the project team – building, motivating, maintaining, coaching, guiding and developing the team;
- Facilitating communication, co-ordination and information flow with the Client and within the project team, including any subcontractors and partners (internal and external);
- With input from the Discipline Leads, agreeing commercial trading arrangements and communication plan for working with other teams, issuing Inter-Unit Task Orders to all internal teams and purchase orders to external teams, including our Global Delivery Centre (GDC) in Bangalore and New Delhi;
- Assembling and owning the project delivery programme and delivery plans;
- Protecting the commercial interest of Atkins, including timely and accurate invoicing and effective credit control for optimal cash flow (with the support of the finance community); comparing revenue with predicted costs and identifying risk allowances, margin and provisions – at project set-up and monthly thereafter, including Earned Value reporting;
- Closing out the project on completion, archiving project documentation, updating market information, ensuring that lessons learnt are captured and disseminated internally and ensuring that a Client Satisfaction survey is initiated.
- Chartered Engineer/Architect or equivalent with demonstrable experience managing design, build and/or operate commissions on large infrastructure projects
- Market sector experience across a range of Water Infrastructure, Rail, Aviation, Defence, Energy and Urban Development projects
- Excellent interpersonal, organizational and communication skills both verbal and written
- A hard working and flexible individual, who is a team player, possesses great attention to detail, is reliable, proactive and shows initiative whilst able to keep cool under pressure and when working to often demanding deadlines.
- Ability to manage and motivate a team and demonstrate good leadership qualities
- Understands and has experience in deploying various forms of construction contract, in particular NEC3 or 4.
- Experience of managing design projects to time, cost and quality objectives and familiar with programming and earned value techniques
- Self-motivated and able to work both independently and within a larger multi-discipline team
- Familiar with BIM and has an understanding of 3D modelling tools for design and coordination purposes and the associated Information attributes that can be assigned and managed within the Model.
- Customer focused with excellent client relationship management skills
- A supportive and encouraging approach to mentoring less experienced members of the team
- Ability to adapt to different cultures and working environments to build rapport with clients
- Be available to travel across the UK and work away from home, with potential periods overseas on assignments, when required
- Holds a valid UK driving license
Atkins develops individuals through a portfolio of training and development activities designed to help you make the best of your abilities and talents. These are reviewed with individuals through an annual appraisal process. We actively support staff in achieving chartership and corporate membership of relevant institutions.
Rewards and Benefits
Please refer to our website for details of our full benefits package.
This role may require security clearance and offers of employment will be dependent on obtaining the relevant level of clearance. If this is necessary, it will be discussed with you at interview.
If applying to this role please do not make reference to (in conversation) or include in your application or CV, details of any current or previously held security clearance.