Senior Project Manager
Senior Project Manager
Are you an experienced and capable Project Manager looking for your next role leading technical projects in the exciting offshore renewables industry? This could be the role for you.
At Atkins, we invest in people as one of the world’s leading engineering and design consultancies. Our philosophy is to help our people navigate a career path which enables them to achieve their ambitions. We offer flexible, rewarding work packages tailored towards career progression, which are founded on the principles of growth, ambition and excellence.
Our global Resources business is delivering engineering, design and consultancy solutions to the oil and gas, renewables, electrical generation, transmission and distribution sectors all over the world. People join us because they share a desire to be at the forefront of the energy sector and deliver outstanding projects. We empower our people to be the professional individuals they want to be, working on projects they feel proud of, making a different to the world they live in and the legacy they leave behind.
With the COVID-19 pandemic, 2020 and 2021 has been unprecedented in the challenges that the world and the offshore industry has faced. Despite these challenges, the industry remains a key sector to deliver global climate targets and to provide low carbon energy for future generations, and as such we are delighted to continue our recruitment campaign to attract the best talent into Atkins.
The past few months have also highlighted what a truly global business we are, with our use of digital collaboration platforms enabling globally diverse teams to continue delivering for our clients no matter where staff are based. Our well-established flexible working practices and digital approach have proven that having a positive work life balance is achievable even in the most challenging of times, making Atkins a great place to develop your career. Although the future remains uncertain, the tools, systems and support available to you upon joining will enable a successful, remote induction into the business and will enhance your ability to work flexibly and remotely if required.
Atkins’ offshore engineering capability dates back to the 1970’s and we have been at the forefront of the market ever since. Much of our capability originated in the oil and gas sector, and we are still heavily involved in this area. However, we have successfully transferred many of our skills onto a growing number of fixed and floating offshore renewables projects.
Due to continued growth in projects, we are looking for a driven and proactive Project Manager with experience of delivering design and consulting projects in regulated industries. Experience of offshore structures projects in either the Oil & Gas or Renewable industry would be an advantage.
Working within our Resources team based at our offices in Bristol, Epsom or London you will guide the delivery of Atkins technical projects and programmes or work directly for our clients embedded into their major projects. You must be mobile and willing to be seconded to work at locations across the UK if required.
You must be able to appreciate complex, practical, regulatory, technical and commercial issues and to work constructively with a broad range of stakeholders; you will be establishing and guiding project teams that are either local to you, or distributed across multiple sites.
Other aspects of the role will include supporting the growth of our project delivery capabilities in Energy through building a reputation for excellence, mentoring others, supporting business development and bidding activities.
- Building and developing relationships internally and externally is a key part of this role.
- You will be client focused, and you are excellent at communicating and listening as well as managing and influencing stakeholders.
- You enjoy new challenges and are keen to learn, whilst also wanting to support others within our diverse multi-disciplinary teams. You are able to guide technical teams, understand and manage the design of offshore and subsea structures.
- The role requires the ability to successfully manage the delivery, commercial and quality performance of projects and proactively deploy a range of techniques to control delivery, cost, manage risk and change. A flexible approach with the ability to adapt to individual situations and remain calm under pressure will also be needed for this role, as will the ability to work effectively within a team.
- You are proactive in addressing issues and mitigating risks. You are comfortable having difficult conversations as necessary and conduct them in a reasonable manner to maintain the positive working relationships that you have built. You thrive on responsibility and accountability for delivering projects.
You have a strong background in project management with the following minimum qualifications:
- Engineering degree, honours or equivalent in civil, mechanical, structural, naval architecture or similar.
- Chartered Engineer with a recognised engineering institution.
In addition to having excellent people and problem-solving skills, you will also have a range of the following desirable experience and attributes:
- A responsible attitude towards and leadership in health, safety and security for people, the environment and our client’s assets.
- Direct experience of project management of multi-disciplined design projects, demonstrating accountability for quality, time, cost and technical performance parameters agreed with client.
- Experience of guiding and directing local and geographically disparate teams and resources.
- Able to motivate self and teams, deal with conflict and create a strong delivery culture.
- Direct and demonstrable experience of applying a range of project management principles and skills to deliver successful project outcomes on a range of engineering / technical projects.
- Passion for the Offshore Energy sector (Oil & Gas or Renewables) with experience including design, construction and decommissioning (including CDM, IOSH, supplier and contractor management).
- Knowledge of Professional Services and Engineering & Construction Contracts.
- Willingness to travel for short or medium term in UK as business requires.
- Professional Project Management qualification (APMP or equivalent).
Travel to other Atkins premises and client sites may be necessary. You should be willing to work flexibly and outside of normal working hours to satisfy the requirements of the role.
Please refer to our website for full details of our benefits package, which includes the opportunity to purchase up to 15 days additional annual leave per year on top of our standard 25 days paid annual leave.
ATKINS, part of the SNC Lavalin Group, is committed to having a diverse and inclusive workforce. As an Equal Opportunities Employer, we value applications from all backgrounds, cultures and ability.
This role may require security clearance and offers of employment will be dependent on obtaining the relevant level of clearance. If this is necessary, it will be discussed with you at interview.
If applying to this role please do not make reference to (in conversation) or include in your application or CV, details of any current or previously held security clearance.
Atkins recognise that there are many well qualified people who are looking to further their career, but who cannot commit to full time employment.
We support flexible working arrangements and are interested to discuss how we can accommodate individual requirements.
We are sorry but we currently have no jobs in this area.
Continue browsing to look at our other available opportunities
Our Latest Articles
Recently viewed jobs