Senior Radiological Protection Engineer
This vacancy has now expired... why not:
Senior Radiological Protection Engineer
Purpose of Role
To provide detailed oversight of projects and frequent technical advice in support of the technical design and review of products, technology and processes including the modification of Radiological Protection arrangements, compliant with current legislation. To provide Radiological Protection support and oversight of practical delivery of operational decommissioning work.
• To develop and manage the execution of detailed radiological protection programmes in support of projects.
• To influence and manage the impacts of decision making with regards to licence condition compliance arrangements, most notably for modifications compliance under LC22.
• Providing expert-level advice on Radiological Protection matters to ensure compliance with Ionising Radiation Regulations and any mandatory rules on client sites.
• Taking a senior leadership role within the Radiological Protection team, acting as the responsible point of contact for Radiological Protection on project work.
• Influencing the development of Project Execution Plans to ensure a fit-for-purpose approach is taken to each project.
• Seeking out and/or sponsoring potential innovations to projects and advising clients and/or project teams of lean delivery options.
• Directing and supporting Graduate Trainees, Assistant RP Engineers and RP Engineers as required, including to meet project aims and their personal development targets.
• Developing and overseeing Radiological Protection arrangements for projects, including documentation such as, Radiological Risk Assessments, Radiological Design Documents, Critical Examinations, Dose Estimates, Local Rules, Contingency Plans and Investigation Reports.
• Review of radiological monitoring data for operational packages of work.
• Manage inspectors and regulators during audits and investigations as required.
• Delivery of ALARP assessments.
• Support Best Available Technique assessments and other optioning processes.
• Advise on radioactive waste aspects of project as required with support from other specialists, if necessary.
• As a customer-focused individual, the post holder will be expected to support delivery within their range of skills, knowledge, experience and competence.
• Work with projects and clients to help solve complex and challenging problems while maintaining excellent relationships with our customers and suppliers.
• Support colleague’s learning and development through development of training packages, training delivery, knowledge sharing and experience.
• Undertake line management responsibilities for RP Engineers and Assistant RP Engineers.
• Take accountability for the standard of their own work, the work of all junior RP project staff and any direct reports through the line management chain, taking direction from the Manager as required.
• Help develop and implement effective deployment of company-wide policies, processes, systems and procedures ensuring that at all time the business remains compliant. This includes, but is not limited to, the need to comply with the company’s Equality and Diversity Policy and undertake identified associated learning and development activities.
The post holder will be required to complete training as defined in Atkins’ Common EMEA Training Profiles, supplemented by Nuclear and Power Specific Training Profiles when required. Atkins encourage and enable the post holder to develop through training and development activities. It is expected that the post holder will achieve RPA certification whilst in this role.
The main purpose of the Person Specification is to ensure that transparent and consistent criteria are applied for selection purposes. Individuals being considered for this role must therefore meet all the essential criteria reflected in this person specification. In exceptional circumstances, where the individual does not fully meet the qualification criteria, demonstrable extensive experience will be considered, provided that their technical competence is assessed by the relevant Function as ‘suitably qualified and experienced’.
Essential (E) / Desirable (D)
Education / Qualifications / Training
- Educated to NQF Level 6 (BSc or equivalent) in a scientific or engineering related discipline. E
- Member of a relevant professional institute E
- Certified RPA E
Experience / Knowledge
- Relevant experience within Nuclear industry in a Radiological Protection Role E
- Detailed Knowledge of Ionising Radiation Regulations 2017 compliance E
- Reasonable level of commercial awareness and demonstrate the ability to work within budget and programme E
- Knowledge of the Radioactive Substance Act/Environmental Permitting Regulations D
- Level of Initiative Expected
- Act and report regularly E
Individuals are required to adopt a flexible approach and be willing to travel to work on client sites.
This role may require security clearance and offers of employment will be dependent on obtaining the relevant level of clearance. If this is necessary, it will be discussed with you at interview.
If applying to this role please do not make reference to (in conversation) or include in your application or CV, details of any current or previously held security clearance.
ATKINS, part of the SNC Lavalin Group, is committed to having a diverse and inclusive workforce. As an Equal Opportunities Employer, we value applications from all backgrounds, cultures and ability.