Senior Rail Signal Engineer
Senior Rail Signal Engineer
Sr. Rail Signal Engineer
Why join us?
We are hiring! The Senior Rail Signal Engineer will be based out of our office in Houston, Texas and reports to our Senior Rail & Transit Project Director. The Senior Rail Signal Engineer serves as a recognized technical specialist throughout the company, providing advice on the resolution of major technical problems of marked importance to the organization. Provides technical expertise on programs and projects with substantial fees, developing standards for diverse activities. Upholds engineering ethics and standards of conduct. The individual in this position must be highly organized and develop important relationships with major stakeholders concerning impact and mitigation strategies of transportation system congestion. This individual will manage primarily Rail & Transit signaling projects, design, construction management, mentor staff, build and maintain client relationships, and participate in business development activities. Coordination and communication will be conducted on a regular basis with key representatives of transit agencies, counties, municipalities, State Safety Oversight (SSO), Federal Regulators, and other parties relevant to the management and/or oversight of Rail & Transit projects.
Atkins is one of the world’s most respected design, engineering and project management consultancies. Atkins has been providing infrastructure planning, engineering, construction, environmental consulting, urban planning, architecture, and program management services to public and private clients across the United States for more than 50 years. Atkins has the depth and breadth of expertise to respond to the most technically challenging and time-critical infrastructure projects and the urgent transition to a low-carbon economy.
How will you contribute to the team?
- Performs highly advanced engineering work, involving the solution of unprecedented technical problems that require major technological advances which may open the way for extensive related development, or involving management and coordination of usually large of complex projects, heavy regulatory agency involvement, or unique management requirements and/or client needs.
- Prepare plans, studies, and/or engineering designs including drawings, calculations, and specifications.
- Responsible for the review and analysis of documentation related to the design and implementation of Positive Train Control (PTC) and/or Communications Based Train Control (CBTC) systems including aspects related to equipment installed on vehicles, wayside devices and centralized control rooms, as well as distributed computer systems.
- Keep current with Federal and State funding programs and seek opportunities to define eligible projects that will support public transportation.
- Direct supporting staff of junior engineers and CADD operators.
- This position manages and conducts various assigned projects, including technical assistance and studies specifically related to public transportation.
- Provide field engineering support and respond to construction contractor questions for projects in construction.
- Review submittals and prepare detailed descriptions of review findings.
- Participate in design review meetings and technical working sessions.
- Provide oversight for federal and/or state regulators.
- Conduct presentations and meetings with local government officials as directed.
- Manage rail & transit projects and tasks, including staffing, financials, and quality reviews.
- Prepare, edit, format and produce technical reports and displays.
- Any duties as assigned by manager.
What will you contribute?
- B.S. or M.S. in Electrical Engineering or related field. M.S. or graduate level technical coursework preferred. This level may be achieved by Engineers with fifteen years experience since Bachelor's or fourteen years since Master's. Typical incumbent has 20+ years of experience in designing and implementing electronic and related rail signal and control systems, with at least 6 of the 12 years of experience in passenger rail or related transportation modes.
- P.E. license is required.
- Thorough knowledge of and experience with Positive Train Control, Communications Based Train Control, Control Center Engineering, railroad block signal systems, and associated communication and control systems as required by the project is required.
- Strong persuasive ability, technical writing and communications skills are expected at this level, proven through technical presentations, technical papers and/or participation in technical committees. May be eligible for project management training.
- Ability to process paper/electronic documents and utilize computer equipment; ability to communicate clearly both orally and in writing; ability to visit project sites if necessary. Job also requires ability to assemble and analyze data, and plan/prioritize project tasks.
What we offer at Atkins:
At Atkins, you will enjoy a robust rewards package which includes:
- Opportunity to work on various projects of various sizes
- Competitive salary
- Flexible work schedules
- Group Insurance
- Retirement Savings Plan with employer match
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
- Learning and development programs, training, career opportunities and a highly regarded tuition reimbursement program
If this sounds like you and you would like to expand your career with us, apply today!
Atkins is an equal opportunity, drug-free employer committed to diversity in the workplace. EOE/Minorities/Females/Vet/Disability.
Please review Atkins Equal Opportunity Statement here:
Atkins cares about your privacy and are committed to protecting your privacy. Please consult our Privacy Notice on our Careers site to know more about how we collect, use and transfer your Personal Data.
By submitting your personal information to Atkins, you confirm that you have read and accept our Privacy Notice.
Note to staffing and direct hire agencies:
In the event a recruiter or agency who is not on our preferred supplier list submits a resume/candidate to anyone in the company, SNC-Lavalin family of companies, we explicitly reserve the right to recruit and hire the candidate(s) at our discretion and without any financial obligation to the recruiter or agency. https://careers.snclavalin.com/recruitment-agencies
Our Latest Articles
Recently viewed jobs