Senior Rolling Stock Electrical Consultant
Atkins has the depth and breadth of expertise to respond to the most technically challenging and time-critical infrastructure projects and the urgent transition to a low-carbon economy.
Atkins seeks an energetic and highly motivated self-starter to join our Boise, Idaho Rail & Transit Group as a Senior Rolling Stock Electrical Consultant.
To provide high quality rolling stock consultancy services to clients primarily in the field of electrical systems, such as vehicle control circuits, propulsion and traction control, auxiliary power/battery, EMI/EMC, software, lighting, high voltage collection and distribution, communication systems, monitoring & diagnostics, and/or other rail vehicle electrical systems. Knowledge and expertise in a secondary discipline or knowledge base, such as mechanical engineering. Reliability, Availability, Maintainability and Safety (RAMS) or testing, is desired. Provide guidance and expertise regarding standards, regulations, analysis, and engineering. May be required to support others within the Atkins Rail & Transit group, including compilation of bids and marketing the services of the Atkins Rail & Transit Group.
- Provide regular, in-depth vehicle electrical system expertise, both written and verbal, to internal and external customers. These systems may include propulsion/traction control, auxiliary power/battery, lighting, communications and EMI/EMC.
- Participate in specification reviews, design reviews, first article inspections, and tests of the rail vehicle components or systems in either a lead role and in a support role.
- Provide quality feedback and reports to the client, Atkins project team, and the vehicle builders based on the specification, designs, regulations, and personal experience.
- Manage all aspects of assignments, expected of an electrical engineering type, that are undertaken for a client, which may include estimating, tendering, planning and execution.
- Ensure that work is completed within deadlines, to budget, and to the client's satisfaction.
- Ensure that all work is undertaken in accordance with Atkins Rail & Transit's procedures and corporate requirements, including the Quality Management System, Safety Management System and Ethics/Compliance.
- Maintain professional expertise by participating in an approved Continuing Professional Development program, such as pursuing or maintaining a professional engineering license.
- Assist the Department Manager, Electrical Services and Director, Rolling Stock Systems in realizing Group and Regional objectives.
- Support the development of strategies to grow Atkins Rail & Transit’s rolling stock electrical services product line.
- Domestic and international travel will range from 0% to 50% on a month-to-month basis.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- B.S. or M.S. in Engineering preferred. This level may be achieved with fifteen years experience since Bachelor's or fourteen years since Master's. In lieu of a degree, 20 years of theoretical and applied experience in advanced Rail Signaling Systems required. Typical incumbent has 20+ years of experience.
- Thorough knowledge of a major transit signal system. Strong quantitative, analytical, problem solving, decision-making skills, and critical-thinking abilities. Strong persuasive ability, technical writing and communications skills are expected at this level, proven through technical presentations, technical papers and/or participation in technical committees. May be eligible for project management training.
- Registration as a licensed professional engineer is generally required. However, extensive experience may be substituted in lieu of licensing.
- When acting in the role of project/task manager or engineering lead:
- Ensure that each assignment or project is undertaken by individuals or by teams having appropriate levels of qualifications, professional expertise and experience.
- Ensure that the roles and responsibilities of team members on each assignment or project are defined and understood.
- Ensure submitted work is checked to ensure compliance to internal quality standards and the client’s expectations.
- Ensure at least a general understanding of project tasks managed at a project engineer level, which may include topics that cover mechanical engineering, structural engineering, operations and maintenance, reliability, quality, and safety.
Atkins offers its employees a robust rewards package which includes: a competitive salary; a broad benefits package including medical/RX, dental, vision, life, disability, legal, hospitalization and other valuable voluntary options; generous time-off programs; flexible work schedules; 401(k) with employer match; professional and career development opportunities through our corporate university, as well as a highly-regarded tuition reimbursement program; and an unmatched culture focused on client-service, quality, and tireless pursuit of excellence in all we do. Atkins is an equal opportunity, drug-free employer committed to diversity in the workplace. EOE/Minorities/Females/Vet/Disability.
Please view Atkins Equal Opportunity Statement here: https://careers.snclavalin.com/equal-opportunities-statement
Atkins cares about your privacy.
Please consult our Privacy Notice to know more about how we collect, use and transfer your Personal Data.
By submitting your personal information to Atkins, you confirm that you have read and accept our Privacy Notice.
Atkins will not accept unsolicited resumes from recruiters, headhunters, contract recruiters, search firms or employment agencies. In the event a recruiter or agency submits a resume or candidate, Atkins explicitly reserves the right to recruit and hire those candidate(s) at its discretion, and without any financial obligation whatsoever to the recruiter or agency. Any such unsolicited resume or candidate contact information, including those submitted directly to Atkins hiring managers or any other employee, shall become the property of Atkins upon receipt.
Our Latest Articles