(Senior) Safety Engineer
(Senior) Safety Engineer
Let's shape the future by doing things right.
You might know us for the great work we do across our wide variety of projects. We're proud to say it's thanks to our people's diversity of thought, expertise, and knowledge. And when you join us, you'll be a part of this genuinely collaborative environment, where everyone's voice is valued and treated equally.
We're passionate about what we do, but we don't take ourselves too seriously. Simply put, this a great place to be. So, when it comes to your life outside of work, ask us about our flexible and remote working policies designed to help you get the most out of life.
We are seeking applications from experienced professionals to join our world class Technical Safety team as a Safety Engineer / Senior Safety Engineer.
Foremost among your attributes you will be a great communicator with the drive and passion to develop your technical expertise in our industry leading team.
Does this sound like you? In which case, we’d love you to apply for this role.
As part of a leading consultancy, you will successfully support delivery of Safety commissions with influence in the Energy sector. You will be supporting client projects and their ongoing operations, within the Oil & Gas industry, and increasingly associated energy transition and the Renewables industry.
The role will typically include:
- Project engineering to ensure studies and projects are delivered in compliance with agreed scope, budgets, and schedules.
- Participation in / leading consultancy on safety systems (QRA, Formal Safety Assessments, COMAH, DSEAR, audits) for major hazard industries.
- Technical report authorship.
- Participation in HAZID, HAZOPs, LOPAs and other risk assessment workshops.
- Direct engagement with clients.
In addition to having excellent communication and problem-solving skills you will be able to demonstrate the following:
- Degree qualified in a relevant engineering (or related) subject.
- Chartered with a relevant institution or with equivalent experience.
- Approximately 5-10 years’ experience working in Process/Technical Safety, preferably in the Energy industry.
- Experience in risk and safety management.
- Working knowledge of QRA and other safety techniques, including consequence analysis.
- Familiar with relevant legislation and industry standards and able to apply this knowledge and advise clients in relation to these, such as COMAH, DSEAR, Safety Case Regulations etc.
- Fully computer literate in Office 365 computer packages principally MS Word and Excel.
- Ability to prepare technical reports to a high standard.
- Ability to demonstrate excellent time-management skills with proven ability to work to deadlines.
- The ability to show initiative and work independently where appropriate.
- Experience in a client-facing role, showing an understanding of commercial challenges relevant to a consultancy business, confident in selling our services and winning work
- Have a network of contacts in the industry.
- Be responsive and proactive to opportunities to growth business.
- Willingness to travel within the UK and internationally for short terms assignments to support our client’s projects.
Whilst fully supported within the team, you should still be able to demonstrate an ability to take ownership of tasks undertaken and ensure work produced is of the highest quality, applying appropriate rigour and self-checking processes. If applying at Senior engineer level, you should be confident supervising and mentoring more junior engineers where appropriate.
Note that our team works across onshore and offshore oil & gas facilities as well as a range of low carbon and renewable industries. We welcome applications from safety specialists in any of these areas and do not necessarily expect you to demonstrate experience in all sectors. This role would be engineer or senior engineer level depending on experience.
The team is largely based in Glasgow, though have been successfully working from home for the last 18 months – so we would also welcome applications from those who would prefer to be full time home workers, based elsewhere in the UK. Our team is very flexible and inclusive to people’s preferred work patterns and we would be happy for this role to be on a reduced hours or non-standard working week basis.
ATKINS, part of the SNC Lavalin Group, is committed to having a diverse and inclusive workforce. As an Equal Opportunities Employer, we value applications from all backgrounds, cultures, and ability.
This role may require security clearance and offers of employment will be dependent on obtaining the relevant level of clearance. If this is necessary, it will be discussed with you at interview.
If applying to this role please do not refer to (in conversation) or include in your application or CV, details of any current or previously held security clearance.
Atkins recognise that there are many well qualified people who are looking to further their career, but who cannot commit to full time employment.
We support flexible working arrangements and are interested to discuss how we can accommodate individual requirements.
We are sorry but we currently have no jobs in this area.
Continue browsing to look at our other available opportunities
Our Latest Articles
Recently viewed jobs