Senior Solid Waste Engineer
Senior Solid Waste Engineer
Why join us?
SNC-Lavalin provides cutting-edge engineering, procurement, construction and financing solutions to projects in more than 100 countries around the world. From the Canadian Arctic to the Southern African region and Australasia, our multicultural workforce is driven by a fierce pride in their work and a pioneering vision.
SNC-Lavalin is truly a global leader in its field and has been chosen to design and build some of the most prestigious projects in the world.
SNC-Lavalin is seeking a Senior Engineer in the Solid Waste field to join our growing group of professionals in providing innovative solutions to our clients and building what matters. Our Environment & Geoscience group requires a Senior Engineer to oversee complex environmental projects in the waste management sector. This position has the opportunity to be based in Ontario (Ottawa, Burlington, or Toronto).
The successful candidate will bring developed leadership skills and be able to communicate effectively with our staff and clients and provide appropriate technical direction on a project basis. Liaising with regulatory agencies, networking with professionals and developing business would be secondary duties in this role.
How will you contribute to the team?
To perform this role successfully, the individual will be responsible for but not limited to the following:
- Management of projects of varying complexity involving the engineering design for solid waste management facilities, including some or all of landfills, organics processing, material recovery facilities, transfer stations and public drop-off facilities – including detailed design, cost estimating, tender and specification support and construction supervision/contract administration services.
- Providing specialist input or leading waste planning related opportunities including: preparing design and operations plans; generating or modifying monitoring plans for groundwater, surface water, landfill gases; obtaining environmental compliance approvals and amendments for waste operations, air quality and stormwater management discharges.
- Providing expertise related to operations based support including the calculation of landfill liabilities, complete capacity studies and estimate waste density and consumption rates, assess operations capacities, coordinate supplemental studies completed by specialists including noise assessments, odour assessments, traffic impact reviews, etc.
- Support projects across Canada with an Ontario focus.
- Senior reviewer for detailed designs and/or acting as engineering design lead.
- Management of personnel and resources.
- Project management (tracking costs and managing budgets, hiring and directing subcontractors, etc.).
- Ensuring client satisfaction, soliciting new work.
- Evaluating and analyzing data using a variety of standardized and complex methods.
- Executing technical tasks requiring accuracy in calculations, completeness and adherence to prescribed data testing methods.
- Preparing and reviewing reports, proposals and other project documents of varying complexity.
- Liaising with clients and contacts to secure additional business.
- Supervising junior and intermediate engineering and non-engineering stream staff on an individual project basis and providing technical direction and mentoring.
- Promoting team effort and collaboration.
What will you contribute?
- Must be licensed as a P.Eng. by Professional Engineers Ontario (PEO).
- A minimum of 10 years of practical solid waste management consulting experience including relevant experience in various facets of the waste management sector.
- Possess expertise in at least one of the following relevant disciplines and demonstrable familiarity with the others: landfill engineering design/construction management; environmental compliance and operations support; and/or waste management planning support.
- Strong knowledge of environmental laws, regulations and guidelines as they apply to waste management focused environmental projects in Ontario and Canada.
- Ability to identify and manage implementation of practical, cost-effective solutions to client problems and/or resolve potential non-compliance situations.
- Strong commitment to teamwork and multi-disciplinary communication skills.
- Self-motivated, with the ability to manage time and multiple projects accordingly.
- Demonstrated expertise in contractor supervision, project management and contract administration.
- Proven technical writing skills.
- Demonstrated ability to source and generate new work from new and existing clients.
- Desire and ability to present innovative technical findings at conferences and/or workshops.
- Understanding and/or proficiency with sector related computer software and all Microsoft Office products.
What we offer at SNC-Lavalin?
At SNC-Lavalin, you will enjoy competitive compensation, a safe and healthy work environment, and a full range of benefits (ie.: group insurance, retirement savings plan, share purchase plan, continuing education program, etc.).
- Opportunity to work on various projects of various sizes.
- Competitive salary.
- Motivational financial package & flexible benefits.
- Defined contribution pension plan in which SNC-Lavalin contributes.
- Work equipment provided according to the season (boot, bib, helmet, gloves, etc.).
- Employee Share Ownership Plan (ESOP).
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP).
- Learning and Development programs, training, career opportunities.
- The masculine gender is used only to simplify the wording.
Appropriate accommodations will be provided upon request throughout the recruitment and hiring process as required by Company policy and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA).
Successful applicants will be notified about SNC-Lavalin’s accommodation policies at the time the employment offer is extended, and the information will be shared with new personnel during the onboarding process.
At SNC-Lavalin, we seek to hire individuals with diverse characteristics, backgrounds and perspectives. We strongly believe that world-class talent makes no distinctions based on gender, ethnic or national origin, sexual identity and orientation, age, religion or disability, but enriches itself through these differences.
SNC-Lavalin cares about your privacy. SNC-Lavalin and other subsidiary or affiliated companies of SNC-Lavalin (referred to throughout as “SNC-Lavalin”) are committed to protecting your privacy. Please consult our Privacy Notice on our Careers site to know more about how we collect, use and transfer your Personal Data.
By submitting your personal information to SNC-Lavalin, you confirm that you have read and accept our Privacy Notice.
Founded in 1911, SNC-Lavalin is a global fully integrated professional services and project management company and a major player in the ownership of infrastructure. From offices around the world, SNC-Lavalin's employees are proud to build what matters. Our teams provide comprehensive end-to-end project solutions – including capital investment, consulting, design, engineering, construction, sustaining capital and operations and maintenance – to clients in oil and gas, mining and metallurgy, infrastructure and power. On July 3, 2017, SNC-Lavalin acquired Atkins, one of the world's most respected design, engineering and project management consultancies. http://www.snclavalin.com.
Our Latest Articles
Recently viewed jobs