Senior Structural Engineer
Senior Structural Design Engineer
Are you an experienced Structural Design Engineer with experience in offshore wind looking for your next career opportunity? This could be the role for you.
Are you interested in working for a world-leading engineering and design consultancy, working on some of the largest most complex offshore windfarm projects? If so, we’d love you to apply for this role.
Our Energy business has been operating for over four decades and the pace of change has never been greater than it is now. These are critical times in how the world generates and uses Energy. Our Design and Engineering teams are key to the multi-disciplinary design and assurance services that we provide to our Clients in the Renewables, Oil & Gas, and Petrochemical Markets.
In this role, you will work with the Offshore Wind Team in our Glasgow or Edinburgh offices, leading the technical delivery of offshore wind structures designs. You’ll be working closely with our Clients, undertaking client office visits in the UK and overseas. By working with the vibrant Energy and Consultancy Business, you will have the opportunity to work across the whole market including Renewables and Oil & Gas.
You will have good experience in a Structural Analysis and Design role, with specific experience in undertaking primary steel analysis of offshore wind turbine substructures. You will have experience of delivering full packages of design work. You will be able to appreciate complex practical, technical and commercial issues and to work constructively with a broad range of stakeholders; leading or supporting project teams that are either local to you or distributed across multiple sites.
The opportunities we have are varied in size and nature. We are particularly keen to speak to individuals who have good networks in the Offshore Wind Industry and can help to shape the future of our business.
Other aspects of the role will include supporting the growth of our capabilities through building a reputation for excellence, mentoring & training others.
You’ll have excellent communication, listening, stakeholder management and influencing skills. You’ll be able to manage client relationships, engage constructively with multiple stakeholders and lead technical delivery teams. Through your work you will also help support and shape the development of future business.
You’ll enjoy turning your hand to new challenges and will be keen to learn, whilst also wanting to support others within our diverse multi-disciplinary teams. In addition to having excellent people and problem solving skills, you’ll also be able to demonstrate the following:
• Experience of offshore structural design and analysis
• Experience in the application of offshore structural standards including ISO, DNVGL, IEC & NORSOK
• An understanding of the fundamentals of structural engineering and of relevant offshore structural codes and standards.
• Linear and non-linear FEA experience in DNVGL SESAM or similar software.
• Experience in the application of spectral and deterministic fatigue methodologies
• Experience in the use of SESAM for offshore wind modules is preferred and in particular the use of the Fatigue Manager module.
• Technical understanding of environmental wave loading and soil/pile interaction.
• An Engineering degree (honours or equivalent) in civil, mechanical, structural, or similar engineering discipline.
• Proven success in helping to deliver structural projects against external and internal time, cost and quality objectives.
• Experience of applying appropriate quality assurance and reporting.
• Self-motivated, positive, enthusiastic, reliable, consistent and mature approach to work – appropriate to delivering growth in the face of challenging market conditions.
• Willingness to develop a wide range of skills and flexibility to work on variety of projects.
• Experience of working with local and geographically disparate teams and resources. Able to motivate self and teams, deal with conflict and create a strong delivery culture.
• Experience of leading teams of engineers to deliver complete packages of work, as well as being the main point of contact for technical discussions with clients.
• Some work outside normal office hours may be necessary. Travel to and from client sites and/or temporary secondment to client’s offices may also be required.
• This is an exciting time for Atkins; we are diversifying our portfolio to become a more global organisation, whilst also continuing to grow our Energy sector in the UK. There will be opportunities for international travel and applicants with a desire for non-UK based assignments will be welcomed.
• Atkins recognises that there are many well qualified people who are looking to further their career in engineering, but who cannot commit to full time employment. We support flexible working arrangements and are interested to discuss how we can accommodate individual requirements.
This role may require security clearance and offers of employment will be dependent on obtaining the relevant level of clearance. If this is necessary it will be discussed with you at interview.
If applying to this role please do not make reference to (in conversation) or include in your application or CV, details of any current or previously held security clearance.
ATKINS, part of the SNC Lavalin Group, is committed to having a diverse and inclusive workforce. As an Equal Opportunities Employer, we value applications from all backgrounds, cultures and ability.