Senior Structural Engineer
SNC-Lavalin Inc is seeking a Senior/Intermediate Structural Engineer for our Infrastructure Engineering team out of our Halifax, NS office. Seize the opportunity to have an impact working on a variety of projects not only in Nova Scotia and Atlantic Infrastructure, but also to be a part of major projects taking place across Canada (see Trillium and the recently announced Réseau express métropolitain).
At SNC-Lavalin, we believe the world-class expertise and unwavering commitment of our employees are the reasons for our success. The three pillars of Safety, Ethics and Quality are paramount and the ideal candidate will be outstanding in each of these areas. We value teamwork, respect and openness above all else, and we empower our people to grow and learn. Join us, as we work to become the world’s most sought-after engineering and construction firm.
This position includes a broad range of consulting tasks. Candidates must have strong verbal and written communication skills, have a keen interest in a fast paced work environment, and be proficient in organization, and time/budget management. The successful applicant must be able to work interchangeably in a team setting, and independently, and will be expected to liaise with professional staff including engineers, subcontractors and clients.
- Structural design lead to plan, execute and control projects through all phases from initial feasibility and conceptual design through preliminary design/definition, detailed design, tender and construction for steel, concrete, masonry and wood structures;
- Manage and coordinate project work with clients in a multidiscipline team environment to achieve well interfaced solutions;
- Manage project technical and quality performance for service delivery to meet project requirements, deadlines and budget;
- Participate in design meetings with the client, architect and other consultants;
- Prepare technical specifications, design reports and construction cost estimates;
- Lead and provide structural support during construction phase, including conducting field reviews, review of remedial solutions and progress payments;
- Complete structural and building condition assessments and write technical reports;
- Mentor and support the development of junior technical staff.
- Respond to request for proposals;
- Develop new and maintain existing client relationships;
- Provide support to business development and strategic initiatives,
- Keep abreast of new technical developments, design standard and code updates and estimate their impacts;
- Other duties as assigned; and
- Occasional travel within Canada for site assessments or site support.
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in Structural (Civil) Engineering
- Registered or eligible for registration as a Professional Engineer with ENS;
- Minimum 8+ years of structural engineering experience, preferably in a consulting environment;
- Suitable experience (including field experience) in the structural design for new and renovation projects for a variety of project types including Light Industrial, Institutional (schools, prisons), Health Care (hospitals, laboratories), and Transportation (maintenance facilities, transit facilities).
- Heavy industrial experience is an asset;
- Proficiency with MS Office Suite and experience with structural finite element engineering design software such as ETABS, SAFE, SAP & SFRAME;
- Solid understanding of industry and regulatory standards and design criteria;
- General working knowledge of other engineering disciplines and of reciprocal effects of the work upon other disciplines/fields;
- Work independently with strong attention to detail and project oversight;
- Working knowledge of Project Management fundamentals an asset;
- Seismic analysis and design experience an asset;
- Effective written and verbal communication skills in English. French communication skills an asset;
- Bridge design experience an asset.
- Only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
- We are an equal opportunity employer.
Founded in 1911, SNC-Lavalin is a global fully integrated professional services and project management company and a major player in the ownership of infrastructure. From offices around the world, SNC-Lavalin's employees are proud to build what matters. Our teams provide comprehensive end-to-end project solutions – including capital investment, consulting, design, engineering, construction, sustaining capital and operations and maintenance – to clients in oil and gas, mining and metallurgy, infrastructure and power. On July 3, 2017, SNC-Lavalin acquired Atkins, one of the world's most respected design, engineering and project management consultancies. http://www.snclavalin.com
At SNC-Lavalin, we seek to hire individuals with diverse characteristics, backgrounds and perspectives. We strongly believe that world-class talent makes no distinctions based on gender, ethnic or national origin, sexual identity and orientation, age, religion or disability, but enriches itself through these differences.