Senior Structural Vehicle Engineer – Rolling Stock
This vacancy has now expired... why not:
- Conducting thorough and in depth design reviews and technical assessments.
- Preparing and delivering presentations and reports
- Preparing technical minutes of meetings
- Timely completion of time booking and expense submittal
- Maintaining professional confidentiality relating to client information
- Maintaining professional expertise by participating in approved Continuing Professional Development programs
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Providing high quality rail vehicle systems engineering and project support on multiple projects focused on mechanical structures and systems
- Providing professional level of service at all points of contact with the client, including email, phone and face to face meetings.
- Delivering output in line with the quality standards of SNC-Lavalin.
- Achieving on-time task deliverables.
- Building organizational knowledge of rail system technology, regulations, requirements, and guidelines.
- Supporting proposal development as assigned
- Supporting business development and technical contributions to proposals, as required.
- Pursuing professional development in industry areas and technical knowledge.
- Supporting the training and development of junior technical staff.
- Following applicable business policies and protocols including those of our clients, where necessary.
- Ensuring all work is undertaken in accordance with SNC-Lavalin’s procedures, including quality procedures and safety management system.
- Working well in a team environment where team members may not necessarily be co-located.
- Computer literacy to a professional standard in relation to word processing and spreadsheets, including competency in databases and project management tools.
- The Senior Structural Engineer may be required to lead projects and coordinate the efforts of others within the team, including associates and sub-contractors.
- The Senior Structural Engineer is expected to provide day-to-day guidance to SNC-Lavalin team members in their areas of specialization and knowledge and provide mentoring of junior technical staff, including Engineers-In-Training.
- The Senior Structural Engineer is expected to engage in periodic business development activities to support the pursuit and award of related work assignments
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required.
Education and/or Equivalent Experience:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Mechanical Engineering plus ten (10) to fifteen (15) years relevant experience required.
- Relevant experience includes:
- Vehicle structural design and/or manufacturing experience, including experience with carbodies, truck frames and Crash Energy Management (CEM) system.
- Experience with the vehicle fleet procurement process.
- Experience working with rail vehicle manufacturers as a design or production engineer, including machine design, structural design, welding metallurgy, manufacturing processes and design for manufacturing.
- Experience performing detailed calculations and analyses relative to rail vehicle structures (e.g., classical stress analysis, linear and non-linear Finite Analysis, vibration analysis, etc.).
- Extensive experience using FEA software including ANSYS, ABAQYS, HyperMesh or equivalent.
- Knowledge of North American industrial standards and codes, including, ASTM, ASME, ANSI, AWS, MIL, NFPA, EPA, IEEE, etc.
- Experience designing and/or manufacturing both stainless steel and aluminum carbodies is considered an asset.
- Knowledge of international rail vehicle standards is considered an asset, including EN, UIC and DIN standards.
- Demonstrated experience with developing junior staff through mentoring, training and work-shadowing is considered an asset.
- Professional Engineering Status (or equivalent) will be beneficial.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English required.
SNC-Lavalin is one of the world's largest engineering and construction companies. Our Rail & Transit Engineering Unit is responsible for the development and execution of large transportation infrastructure projects valued at several billion.
We offer an opportunity to work on some of the largest projects in North America. You will work in an environment that will give you an opportunity to excel and advance in your career.
Appropriate accommodations will be provided upon request throughout the recruitment and hiring process as required by Company policy and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA).
Successful applicants will be notified about SNC-Lavalin’s accommodation policies at the time the employment offer is extended, and the information will be shared with new personnel during the onboarding process.
Founded in 1911, SNC-Lavalin is a global fully integrated professional services and project management company and a major player in the ownership of infrastructure. From offices around the world, SNC-Lavalin's employees are proud to build what matters. Our teams provide comprehensive end-to-end project solutions – including capital investment, consulting, design, engineering, construction, sustaining capital and operations and maintenance – to clients in oil and gas, mining and metallurgy, infrastructure and power. On July 3, 2017, SNC-Lavalin acquired Atkins, one of the world's most respected design, engineering and project management consultancies. http://www.snclavalin.com
At SNC-Lavalin, we seek to hire individuals with diverse characteristics, backgrounds and perspectives. We strongly believe that world-class talent makes no distinctions based on gender, ethnic or national origin, sexual identity and orientation, age, religion or disability, but enriches itself through these differences.