Senior Technical Lead - Transport Economics and Business Case
This vacancy has now expired... why not:
Now part of the SNC-Lavalin group, Atkins’ UK Transportation business brings together the capabilities of our Rail, Highway and Local Transport teams, into a single business of 3,000 talented transport planners and engineering professionals. The unique breadth of services in Transportation, combined with our scale, makes Atkins the leading UK transportation infrastructure consultancy. We create a culture and environment to inspire our people, ensure collaboration with our clients and continue to shape the future of mobility.
The transportation infrastructure sector is experiencing unprecedented levels of investment and Atkins is playing lead roles in projects to upgrade existing transport networks to deliver future demand including major new road schemes, high-speed rail as well as extensive public transport enhancements. Our teams are currently delivering exciting and important policy, strategy, modelling and research projects throughout the transportation sector. We are at the forefront of national and international policy making, supporting key decision makers at all levels; and are also supporting the development of cutting-edge technology in the transport sector.
We have a growth plan to respond to this pipeline of work and are currently recruiting talented individuals to help deliver transport planning projects for our expanding client base. With over 300 specialists in our Transport Planning business we have the flexibility and resources to provide our clients with an extensive range of services including transport business case development, policy and strategy planning, traffic modelling, scheme appraisal, travel demand management and development planning.
We are currently recruiting an established transport economist to lead our pursuit and delivery of top level public sector transport strategy, transport appraisal and evaluation, for regional and national bodies particularly in the field of transport investment and economic performance. This reflects the increasing emphasis on the delivery of improved productivity, employment and housing growth and a spatially better-balanced economy through transport infrastructure and service investments.
We would like to discuss this senior position with prospective candidates who can demonstrate an appropriate level of experience and technical expertise. We are seeking an enthusiastic individual who can contribute to shaping and growing a high performing, dynamic team, working seamlessly across our national business.
With a network of offices across England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland we are flexible where candidates can be based. We offer a fantastic environment with fresh, modern offices that buzz with the excitement of people working at the leading edge of our industry. Join us and you’ll be joining a business that places no limits on how far you can progress.
Successful applicants will be flexible, self-motivated and will be expected to demonstrate the following:
- Excellent communication skills with strong report writing capability
- Sound technical competence
- Ability to work under pressure and proven success in meeting deadlines
- Confident team worker with ablity to work independently
- Experience of working to time and budget constraints
Successful candidates will have:
- Appropriate academic and professional qualifications - degree qualified in a relevant discipline (such as Transport Planning, Economics etc)
- Relevant previous experience of working in a Transport Planning Consultancy, in Central Government or a Local Authority
- Experience of developing client relationships and successful work winning activity
- Strong track record of managing teams to successfully deliver projects and bids
- Knowledge and appreciation of current UK transport sector
It is desirable that candidates will be able to demonstrate technical skills and competencies commensurate with their level of experience in areas such as:
- Expert knowledge in the business case development process and transport economic appraisal guidance and tools, and their practical applications in case making for capturing conventional and wider economic impacts from transformational schemes
- Expertise in selected areas relevant to economic impacts from transport investment such as productivity uplift, employment effects or induced development
- A track record of leading pursuit and delivery of high-quality economics and transport planning work
- Ability to champion and confidently articulate technical approaches to different audience including clients and key industry stakeholders
- Proven experience in leading method statements, bids and client communication
Rewards and Benefits
We started out as Atkins, one of the most respected international design, engineering and project management consultancies in the world. Today we are part of global giant SNC-Lavalin. Work with us and you’ll enjoy all the benefits a multinational company can offer — from great employee benefits, to travel and exposure to impressive world-wide clients and projects.
With a goal to be a truly diverse employer, we promote an inclusive culture for everyone in the SNC-Lavalin Atkins family and have an ongoing commitment to pursuing improvements for all underrepresented groups.
This role may require security clearance and offers of employment will be dependent on obtaining the relevant level of clearance. If this is necessary, it will be discussed with you at interview.
If applying to this role please do not make reference to (in conversation) or include in your application or CV, details of any current or previously held security clearance.
#transportplanner Transport Planner
Our Latest Articles