Senior Technical Lead - Transport Policy and Strategy
Senior Technical Lead - Transport Policy and Strategy
Are you ready to take up a vital role in shaping some of our exciting projects? How about joining our talented team, where everyone has a voice, and together we face our clients' problems head-on. It's a diverse and inclusive work environment where world-class talent knows no distinctions.
We know that different people have different priorities, which is why we're here to support you. Flexible and remote working is a central part of our culture. So, talk to us about what's ideal for you – from reduced weeks to buying more leave over school holidays. And if you're returning from a career break, ask us how we can help you transition back into work with us.
The transportation infrastructure sector is experiencing unprecedented levels of investment and Atkins is playing lead roles in projects to upgrade existing transport networks to deliver future demand including major new road schemes, high-speed rail as well as extensive public transport enhancements. We are also working closely with our clients to adapt to the ongoing Covid-19 environment. Our teams are currently delivering exciting and important policy, strategy, modelling and research projects throughout the transportation sector. We are at the forefront of national and international policy making, supporting key decision makers at al levels; and are also supporting the development of cutting-edge technology in the transport sector.
We have a growth plan to respond to this pipeline of work and are currently recruiting talented individuals to help win and deliver transport planning projects for our expanding client base. With over 300 specialists in our Transport Planning business we have the flexibility and resources to provide our clients with an extensive range of services including transport policy and strategy planning, traffic modelling, scheme appraisal, travel demand management and development planning.
- We are currently recruiting a senior leader with demonstrable skills to lead the pursuit and delivery of our public sector transport policy and strategy projects in the north of England. In particular we anticipate a focus on strategic transport planning projects for national and sub-regional organisations including Highways England, Transport for the North and Combined Authorities; as well as oversight of transport strategy development for local authority clients.
- The role will require working closely with other senior transport planning staff across the UK, and with our market-facing teams to develop work-winning strategies, secure high-profile commissions and provide technical oversight of those commissions. This is a predominantly a seller/doer role requiring strong influencing skills, but is not likely to involve a significant amount of people or team management other than within bid and project teams.
- Understanding of the role of transport as an enabler of broader policy outcomes, particularly economic performance and growth, and climate change, would be a particular advantage; as would a strong knowledge of these issues in the North of England. An appreciation of the full range of interventions available to public sector bodies to achieve those outcomes is essential.
- We would like to discuss this senior position with prospective candidates who can demonstrate an appropriate level of experience and technical expertise. We are seeking an enthusiastic individual who can contribute to shaping and growing a high performing, dynamic team, working seamlessly across our national business.
- We anticipate that this post will be based in either our Manchester or possibly Leeds offices. We offer a fantastic environment with fresh, modern offices that buzz with the excitement of people working at the leading edge of our industry. We also offer flexible working in line with current government Covid policies. Join us and you’ll be joining a business that places no limits on how far you can progress.
Successful applicants will be flexible, self-motivated and will be expected to demonstrate the following:
- Excellent communication skills with strong report writing capability
- Sound technical competence
- Ability to work under pressure and proven success in meeting deadlines
- Confident team worker with ablity to work independently
- Experience of working to time and budget constraints.
Successful candidates will have:
- Appropriate academic and professional qualifications - degree qualified in a relevant discipline (such as Transport Planning, Economics etc)
- Relevant previous experience of working in a Transport Planning Consultancy, in Central Government or a Local Authority
- Experience of developing client relationships and successful work winning activity
- Strong track record of managing teams to successfully deliver against business objectives and targets
- Knowledge and appreciation of current UK transport sector.
It is desirable that candidates will be able to demonstrate technical skills and competencies commensurate with their level of experience in areas such as:
- Local transport planning
- Transport policy/strategy
- Sustainable transport
- Stakeholder engagement/ public consultation.
Why work for Atkins?
Our Transportation teams are reinventing transport for a challenging yet exciting future. We're creating new ideas and smart solutions for cities, people and the environment. You'll be working alongside some of the top people in our industry, solving challenges that bring together traditional engineering and new technologies. As part of our organisation, you'll be in a privileged position, delivering what's right for governments and communities. You'll be helping us to improve our leading environmental performance while enabling others to do the same.
Meeting your needs
To help you get the most out of life in and outside of work, we offer employees "Total Reward." It's a package that can be tailored to your changing lifestyle, career and personal needs. You'll enjoy benefits such as partner discounts, leadership training, professional, accreditations, and career planning for any stage of your career.
Making sure you're supported is important to us. So if you identify as having a disability, tell us ahead of your interview. And let's talk through any adjustments you might need.
More about us
Atkins, a member of the SNC-Lavalin Group, is a leading global consultancy with over 80 years of design and engineering expertise. With us, you'll be surrounded by the skills, knowledge and support to help you succeed. Together, we can deliver projects which have a positive, sustainable impact on the world.
Atkins, ranked as one of LinkedIn’s Top 25 Companies, where UK professionals want to work and stay once they join.
Atkins recognise that there are many well qualified people who are looking to further their career, but who cannot commit to full time employment. We support flexible working arrangements and are interested to discuss how we can accommodate individual requirements.
ATKINS, part of the SNC Lavalin Group, is committed to having a diverse and inclusive workforce. As an Equal Opportunities Employer, we value applications from all backgrounds, cultures and ability.
This role may require security clearance and offers of employment will be dependent on obtaining the relevant level of clearance. If this is necessary it will be discussed with you at interview.
If applying to this role please do not make reference to (in conversation) or include in your application or CV, details of any current or previously held security clearance.
#LI-UK #LI-ATKINS #LI-Transportation
Are you ready to take up a vital role in shaping some of our exciting projects? How about joining our talented team, where everyone has a voice, and together we face our clients' problems head-on. It'
Our Latest Articles
Recently viewed jobs