Senior Telecoms Design Engineer – Team Leader
Senior Telecoms Design Engineer – Team Leader
Senior Telecoms Design Engineer – Team Leader– Railway Communications and Information Systems (C&IS)
The UK & Europe Transportation Division in Atkins brings together the capabilities of our key markets, Strategic Highways, Strategic Rail, Local Transport, into a single £450m turnover business of 3,750+ talented engineers and professionals. The transport infrastructure sector is experiencing unprecedented levels of investment and Atkins is playing lead roles in key projects across the UK and Europe from high-speed rail to major road programmes to Digital Railway implementation. It is not just about today, the business is investing and building new capability and services in intelligent mobility, digital asset management and new products for the rail market. Our teams work closely with Government, national and local authorities to deliver integrated transport strategies and solutions that support economic growth and improved journeys for all.
The unique breadth of services in transportation, combined with our scale, makes us the leading UK transport engineering consultancy, enabling us to inspire our people and collaborate with our clients to shape the future of transportation.
Reporting to Railway Communications Practice Manager, the Birmingham Design Team Leader will be responsible for the Line Management and day to day leadership of a group of design engineers delivering a diverse range of Rail Telecommunications Projects. A small selection of current projects include the Feltham Resignalling programme (deploying our Electrologix Interlocking and supporting fibre optic comms network solutions), East West Rail Alliance, Euston Station Enabling, High Speed 2, Level Crossing Framework, Track Alliance Framework, Network Rail Telecommunications Secondments (Part of the NRT framework), Multidisciplinary Station Design Projects including West of Fife in Scotland, to St Erth in Cornwall. We have a wide variety of projects delivered Nationwide.
Atkins Railway Communications and Information Systems (C&IS) team is part of our Signalling & Communications delivery business. As such you will be part of a resource group comprising over 400 staff, with a £100m per annum turnover. We are a key supplier to Network Rail on many of its major S&T schemes (including the Feltham Re-signalling programme) and as one of NRT’s suppliers on their Network Design and Integration Services Framework. We also have developing relationships with TFL, London Underground and several contractors. The Signalling and Comms business, core activities consist of design, construction, testing, engineering and project management of signalling projects – combined with Intelligent Transportation Systems consultancy and design, a railway safety training school and several roles around airport communications and security systems. Reflecting our technical expertise and scale, we are often involved in the largest and most complex projects, which have a significant impact on and ability to enhance the UK’s rail network and stations infrastructure.
- This role will involve undertaking the following activities:
- Providing leadership to, and resource managing, of the Birmingham telecommunications design team
- Setting the safety and engineering culture for the team
- Undertaking senior engineering roles on projects (e.g. CEM, CRE, Design Manager)
- Ensuring achievement of safety, quality, schedule and cost project objectives
- Leading the engineering input to bids, developing business opportunities and building client relationships
- Actively managing allocated budgets
- Leading the capability development of the Birmingham team and supporting the collective learning of the organisation.
- Degree or Higher Diploma in Electrical Engineering, Electronics Engineering or Communications Disciplines.
- Minimum of 10 years Current / Previous UK Railway Telecoms Design Experience.
- Team leader with proven experience
- Enthusiastic with a passion for developing teams
- CRE experience with significant co-ordination with other engineering disciplines.
- Production of stage work and final designs to the point of Approval for Construction.
- Holder of IRSE Telecoms Designer Licence (or working towards)
- A collaborative approach to all aspects of the role, both with the client and the wider telecoms team.
- Willing to travel and work at various locations within the UK
- Willing to work unsocial hours as required on an occasional basis
- To have adequate health and fitness as candidates will undergo client’s medical tests to work on their premises.
- Able to produce written communication that is easily understood.
- Good interpersonal skills
- Ability to work within a team
Why work for Atkins?
Our Transportation teams are reinventing transport for a challenging yet exciting future. We're creating new ideas and smart solutions for cities, people and the environment. You'll be working alongside some of the top people in our industry, solving challenges that bring together traditional engineering and new technologies. As part of our organisation, you'll be in a privileged position, delivering what's right for governments and communities. You'll be helping us to improve our leading environmental performance while enabling others to do the same.
Meeting your needs
To help you get the most out of life in and outside of work, we offer employees "Total Reward." It's a package that can be tailored to your changing lifestyle, career and personal needs. You'll enjoy benefits such as partner discounts, leadership training, professional, accreditations, and career planning for any stage of your career.
Making sure you're supported is important to us. So, if you identify as having a disability, tell us ahead of your interview. And let's talk through any adjustments you might need.
More about us
Atkins, a member of the SNC-Lavalin Group, is a leading global consultancy with over 80 years of design and engineering expertise. With us, you'll be surrounded by the skills, knowledge and support to help you succeed. Together, we can deliver projects which have a positive, sustainable impact on the world.
Atkins, ranked as one of LinkedIn’s Top 25 Companies, where UK professionals want to work and stay once, they join.
Atkins recognise that there are many well qualified people who are looking to further their career, but who cannot commit to full time employment. We support flexible working arrangements and are interested to discuss how we can accommodate individual requirements.
ATKINS, part of the SNC Lavalin Group, is committed to having a diverse and inclusive workforce. As an Equal Opportunities Employer, we value applications from all backgrounds, cultures and ability.
This role may require security clearance and offers of employment will be dependent on obtaining the relevant level of clearance. If this is necessary, it will be discussed with you at interview.
If applying to this role please do not make reference to (in conversation) or include in your application or CV, details of any current or previously held security clearance.
#LI-UK #LI-ATKINS #LI-Transportation
Atkins’ UK Transportation business brings together the capabilities of our Rail, Highway and Local Transport teams, into a single business of 3,000 talented engineering professionals transport planner
Our Latest Articles
Recently viewed jobs