Senior Town Planner
Atkins, a member of SNC Lavalin is one of the world’s leading environmental, design and engineering consultancies offering unparalleled opportunities for talented individuals in search of a rewarding career. Our Planning and Environmental Consenting team based in South West and Wales works alongside teams in London, Epsom, Birmingham and Warrington on a variety of major development projects and related works. To find out about our recent varied and interesting Planning projects see our Planning brochure.
We require an experienced Senior Planner to be located in the South West Region. The appointed candidate will join a progressive team of planners which is strongly integrated with our transport, engineering, design and environmental businesses. We serve a wide range of UK and international clients from both the public and private sectors. While the post would be based in Bristol, the successful candidate may also be required to work out of other UK Atkins or Client offices, where the need arises, in order to meet the demands of fluctuating workloads.
The position requires a Chartered Planner, combining an excellent track record in planning with particular experience in providing advice to our growing markets in the development, transportation, energy and water sectors.
- Identification, development and pursuit of new business and marketing opportunities in a range of sectors
- Preparation of tender responses
- Preparation of planning applications and supporting documents
- Provision of planning advice to external and internal clients
- Management, including financial management, of projects
- Resource allocation in liaison with the regional manager
- Mentoring of junior staff
- A relevant planning degree
- Chartered membership of the Royal Town Planning Institute 5 or more years post qualification experience in a planning role
- A sound, in-depth knowledge of planning law and procedures, including the changing planning system at national and local levels
- Experience in the management and delivery of multi-disciplinary planning projects
- Proven ability to manage budgets
- Capability to work alongside and co-ordinate a range of technical specialists providing input into planning submissions and EIAs
- Consultancy experience is an advantage, as is a need to demonstrate commercial expertise.
- Development Consent Order experience is desirable, as is a willingness to undertake secondment into client businesses as is deemed necessary.
- Experience in both the South-West and Wales regions would be preferable.
The successful applicant must be flexible and self-motivated and be expected to demonstrate the following:
- Good communication skills, with ability to draft reports to a high standard
- Ability to work under pressure, and have proven success in meeting tight deadlines
- Confident team worker, but able to work with limited supervision
- Commercial awareness and business development skills.
Atkins develops individuals through a portfolio of training and development activities designed to help you make the best of your abilities and talents. These are reviewed with individuals through an annual appraisal process. We actively support staff in achieving corporate membership of relevant institutions
Rewards and Benefits
Please refer to our website for details of our full benefits package
This role may require security clearance and offers of employment will be dependent on obtaining the relevant level of clearance. If this is necessary it will be discussed with you at interview.
If applying to this role please do not make reference to (in conversation) or include in your application or CV, details of any current or previously held security clearance.
ATKINS, part of the SNC Lavalin Group, is committed to having a diverse and inclusive workforce. As an Equal Opportunities Employer, we value applications from all backgrounds, cultures and ability.