Senior Track Consultant
Forming part of a small design unit your key function will be to help drive the production and delivery of a variety of rail related design projects. Due to the diversity of the business these will be varied in size and nature, ranging from relatively small single source projects to large-scale multi discipline work banks.
Your main work stream will involve the production and delivery of plain line and switches and crossings design packages as lead designer (in some cases as Contractor’s Responsible Engineer) and as such you should have an excellent knowledge of all relevant industry standards. You should have an in-depth understanding of alignment design principles. Working as a key part of the Route Systems team, you should have sufficient experience to complete items from ‘start to finish’ without assistance.
- Responsible for the preparation of P-Way design packages from feasibility through to detailed design and construction support;
- Act in the capacity of ‘CRE’;
- Respond to technical queries;
- Provide clients with the best technical solutions;
- Ensure work is undertaken effectively and productively;
- Attend technical meetings with clients;
- Assist with technical development, innovation and use of best practice;
- Support where necessary other elements of the infrastructure team;
- Support junior staff through their professional development;
- Assist in the Bid preparation;
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Minimum HND or equivalent in Civil Engineering.
- Charted Engineer through relevant professional body.
- Advanced professional design experience within the rail industry delivering Permanent Way (P-Way) design gained within a reputable engineering consultancy.
- Working knowledge of track design standards and approval process.
- Experience with Network Rail GRIP processes
- Proficient user of AutoCAD and either MX Rail or Bentley Rail Track.
- Good team working skills with the ability to develop working relationships quickly and effectively.
- Good team leading and people management skills.
- Working knowledge of surveying principles, both traditional and topographical
- Design experience within Earthworks and Drainage disciplines
- PTS certified
- Accredited user of ClearRoute 2 Gauging Software
Creation and maintenance of reporting processes and systems to ensure line manager is kept fully up to date with work progress.
Actively contribute to a continuous improvement culture.
Create, manage and maintain effective cross-functional, interdepartmental relationships to ensure the organisation delivers the most valuable service to customers.
Ensure that regular appraisals are held with the line manager.
Comply with the Data Protection Act and adhere to SNC-Lavalin Rail & Transit’s intellectual property and confidentiality regulations.
Always behave in a professional manner befitting SNC-Lavalin Rail & Transit reputation.
Accountable for proactively identifying and resolving key safety risks in all relevant projects.
Ensuring all safety accidents/incidents are reported in the correct laid out procedure and corrective action is taken where necessary.
Ensure the working environment is maintained in a safe and tidy condition.
Comply fully with SNC-Lavalin Rail & Transit’s drugs and alcohol policy.
To work closely with your Line Manager, the UK Product Director, Key Account Manager and the Account Management team in order to:-
- Deliver the highest customer service to clients through your expert advice and support;
- Contribute to identifying new sales opportunities;
- Contribute to UK marketing efforts; and
- Match resources to the sale forecast by volume and skill set.
Development and management of relationships at all levels within a client’s company to support the successful delivery of services and the securing of future work.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The following requirements are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
Chartered Engineer with a degree in a relevant discipline, or equivalent; or more than 7 years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Ability to read, write and communicate in a language additional to English advantageous.
SNC-Lavalin Rail & Transit performs its business within open plan offices and operates a no smoking policy.
Will be required to visit railway workshops/depots on occasion and must comply with local procedures and safety arrangements. May be required to work under Network Rail (or equivalent) Personal Track Safety Certification.
Our Latest Articles