Senior Traffic Engineer
This vacancy has now expired... why not:
SNC-Lavalin’s Atkins business was ranked as the world’s 3rd largest global design firm by ENR in 2018 with nearly 55,000 employees worldwide. We have the depth and breadth of expertise to respond to the most technically challenging and time-critical infrastructure projects and the urgent transition to a low-carbon economy.
SNC-Lavalin’s Atkins business seeks an energetic and highly motivated self-starter to join our ITS team in Orlando, FL as a Senior Traffic Engineer. This position will be embedded at the client office.
Under direction, applies full competency in conventional engineering work and broad knowledge of precedents in specialty area. On design assignments, understands how to clearly convey the design intent to engineering drawings and specifications. On assignments involving engineering investigations and planning work, has a firm grasp of the
fundamentals of engineering processes and their application to operating systems. On projects involving engineering services related to construction activities, has developed a thorough understanding of construction methods and the manner in which engineering drawings and specifications are translated into the constructed product. Upholds engineering ethics and standards of conduct.
- Performs work that involves conventional engineering practice but may include a variety of complex features such as conflicting design requirements, unsuitability of conventional materials or procedures, or difficult coordination requirements.
- Review project submittals, including conceptual, preliminary and final ITS plans. Confirm compliance with State, Federal and Turnpike design criteria and Standards.
- Record review comments in Electronic Review Comments system, (ERC), and confirm compliance to comments with responses and subsequent submittals.
- Assist in performing post-design oversight such as shop drawing reviews and construction requests for information.
- Participate in the production of minor in-house ITS-related design tasks ranging from the preparation of concept plans to signed and sealed contract documents.
- Perform field investigations and inspections and evaluate existing conditions of ITS facilities.
- Develop and evaluate communication systems between field devices and central traffic management centers utilizing Gigabit Ethernet and ATM optical networks.
- Prepare staff hour estimates and review Scope of Services prior to negotiations for original contract and Supplemental Agreements.
- Coordinate with Project Managers on units and staff hour meetings and with other disciplines to provide a multidiscipline approach to negotiations.
- Assist in the supervision, scheduling, and checking of work of project team members and work closely with other disciplines on multi-discipline projects.
- Support the Turnpike Traffic Design Engineer and lead in the development and update of Turnpike criteria and design-related policies and procedures.
- Help to identify needed programmatic initiatives that can result in program or project efficiencies and safety improvements.
- Represent the Client at meetings, making decisions and recommendations on behalf of the Client concerning project issues and disseminating the results of the meetings to the appropriate Client and GEC staff.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- B.S. or M.S. in Engineering. This level may be achieved by Engineers with four years' experience since B.S.; three years experience since M.S. Incumbents typically have six to ten years' experience since Bachelor's degree.
- Microsoft Office Suite
- Adobe Acrobat Professional
- PE is required.
- A minimum of three (3) years of State DOT ITS design experience.
- Registered Professional Engineer in Florida, or the ability to be registered within one (1) year.
- Experience with Florida Department of Transportation (FDOT) Policy and Procedures, including the Florida Design Manual (FDM), FDOT Standard Plans, and Standard Specifications desired.
- Experience within the tolls industry and with ITS design for toll facilities is a plus, but not required.
- Strong interpersonal skills; good public speaking ability; strong technical documentation and report preparation skills; knowledge of production support systems and personal computer proficiency.
- Position may require limited daily and overnight travel on as needed basis to support the Client.
Atkins offers its employees a robust rewards package which includes: a competitive salary; a broad benefits package including medical/RX, dental, vision, life, disability, legal, hospitalization and other valuable voluntary options; generous time-off programs; flexible work schedules; 401(k) with employer match; professional and career development opportunities through our corporate university, as well as a highly-regarded tuition reimbursement program; and an unmatched culture focused on client-service, quality, and tireless pursuit of excellence in all we do. Atkins is an equal opportunity, drug-free employer committed to diversity in the workplace. EOE/Minorities/Females/Vet/Disability.
Please view Atkins Equal Opportunity Statement here:
Atkins cares about your privacy.
Please consult our Privacy Notice to know more about how we collect, use and transfer your Personal Data.
By submitting your personal information to Atkins, you confirm that you have read and accept our Privacy Notice.