Senior Waste Management Specialist
Senior Waste Management Specialist
Sr Waste Management Specialist
Why join us?
We are hiring! The Sr Waste Management Specialist is an integral part of our Nuclear team. This position is based out of our office in Oak Ridge, TN.
Atkins is one of the world’s most respected design, engineering and project management consultancies. Atkins has been providing infrastructure planning, engineering, construction, environmental consulting, urban planning, architecture, and program management services to public and private clients across the United States for more than 50 years.
Atkins has the depth and breadth of expertise to respond to the most technically challenging and time-critical infrastructure projects and the urgent transition to a low-carbon economy.
How will you contribute to the team?
- Interprets waste management and transportation rules, regulations and policies to assist generators in the proper compliant management of facility and project waste, including low-level, mixed, transuranic waste (TRU), hazardous, recyclable and non-regulated waste.
- Complies with DOT regulations, EPA regulations and DOE Orders as applicable.
- Reviews existing procedures and prepares revisions and checklist updates to incorporate regulatory requirements and changes as well as customer driven revisions.
- Makes waste packaging determinations.
- Performs marking, labeling, and placarding determinations.
- Calculates radionuclide and other hazardous material inventories for packages and conveyance.
- Provide guidance and oversight for loading, handling, segregation, and securement of loads.
- Prepares shipping papers/records and waste manifests in accordance with state and federal regulations.
- Interfaces with onsite and offsite treatment, storage and disposal units for acceptance of various waste streams for treatment and/or disposal including development of waste profiles and related documentation.
- Teams and interfaces with treatment, storage, disposal, generators and/or other customers and regulators to resolve specific waste management related concerns.
- Works under general supervision.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
What will you contribute?
- Bachelor of Engineering or related Science degree required or equivalent experience
- Q Clearance or the ability to obtain a Q clearance
- Advanced Radioactive and Mixed Waste Shipper Certification
- Minimum of 10+ years experience conducting onsite waste shipping manifests and waste characterization
- Detailed knowledge of state and federal transportation and environmental regulations (WAC, FMSCA, RCRA, CERLA and TSCA)
- Organized and disciplined approach to documentation, development, maintenance and tracking of waste activities
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Intermediate computer skills, including Microsoft Word and Excel
- Proficiency with eMWaste database.
What we offer at Atkins:
At Atkins, you will enjoy a robust rewards package which includes:
- Opportunity to work on various projects of various sizes
- Competitive salary
- Flexible work schedules
- Paid Time Off (PTO)
- Group Insurance
- Retirement Savings Plan with employer match
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
- Learning and development programs, training, career opportunities and a highly regarded tuition reimbursement program
If this sounds like you and you would like to expand your career with us, apply today!
Atkins is an equal opportunity, drug-free employer committed to diversity in the workplace. EOE/Minorities/Females/Vet/Disability.
Please review Atkins Equal Opportunity Statement here:
Atkins cares about your privacy and are committed to protecting your privacy. Please consult our Privacy Notice on our Careers site to know more about how we collect, use and transfer your Personal Data.
By submitting your personal information to Atkins, you confirm that you have read and accept our Privacy Notice.
Note to staffing and direct hire agencies:
In the event a recruiter or agency who is not on our preferred supplier list submits a resume/candidate to anyone in the company, SNC-Lavalin family of companies, we explicitly reserve the right to recruit and hire the candidate(s) at our discretion and without any financial obligation to the recruiter or agency. https://careers.snclavalin.com/recruitment-agencies
We are sorry but we currently have no jobs in this area.
Continue browsing to look at our other available opportunities
Our Latest Articles
Recently viewed jobs