Senior Water Resources/ Drainage Engineer
Atkins has the depth and breadth of expertise to respond to the most technically challenging and time-critical infrastructure projects and the urgent transition to a low-carbon economy.
Atkins seeks an energetic and highly motivated self-starter to join our Houston, Texas Water Resources Group as a Senior Water Resources/ Drainage Engineer.
This is a great opportunity to work on a variety of water-related projects involving hydrologic and hydraulic (H&H) modeling and analysis, schematic drainage design and riverine hydraulics. This person will mentor junior staff and review engineering calculations, perform field observations, prepare develop or perform quality control review of 1D and 2D computer models for urban drainage analysis, floodplain mapping, watershed planning and closed conduit and open channel design. This individual must be competent in performing water resources engineering work and demonstrate a broad knowledge of hydrologic/hydraulic analysis and design methods.
- Plans, schedules, conducts or coordinates detailed phases of the engineering work in a part of a major project or in a total project of moderate scope.
- Performs preliminary engineering design and/or reviews the design and drafting work of junior engineers, designers or drafters.
- Works with external clients at progress meetings and throughout project to meet client needs, project schedules, goals and deadlines.
- Prepares cost and man-hour estimates, job budgets and schedules.
- Performs quality control and guidance of junior staff related to hydrologic/hydraulic models or methods.
- Prepares or oversees the preparation of final plans and reports and submits them for approval.
- Conducts or oversees personnel involved in engineering investigations and planning work.
- Coordinates work with other engineers and professionals within and outside own discipline, and with support services staff.
- May manage or assist in the management of projects.
- May perform other duties as the supervisor may from time to time deem necessary.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- B.S. or M.S. in Engineering. M.S. or graduate level technical coursework preferred. This level may be achieved by Engineers with seven years of experience since B.S. or 6 years since M.S. Typical incumbent has ten to fourteen years of experience.
- Good technical writing and communications skills. May be eligible to receive project management training.
- Experience and familiarity with the following programs is required: ArcGIS, HY-8, HEC-HMS, HEC-RAS, Microstation.
- Experience with the following programs is preferred but not necessary: Geopak, Inroads Storm & Sanitary, EPA-SWMM, AutoCAD. The qualified candidate is proficient in schematic drainage design and riverine hydraulics.
- P.E. license is required (Texas preferred).
- CFM and TxDOT precertified is preferred.
General Competencies expected of all Professionals and Managers are as follows: Client Service, Commitment, Communication, Innovation & Continuous Improvement, Professionalism, Quality, and Teamwork.
Ability to process paper/electronic documents and utilize computer equipment; ability to communicate clearly both orally and in writing; ability to visit project sites if necessary. Job also requires ability to assemble and analyze data.
Atkins offers its employees a robust rewards package which includes: a competitive salary; a broad benefits package including medical/RX, dental, vision, life, disability, legal, hospitalization and other valuable voluntary options; generous time-off programs; flexible work schedules; 401(k) with employer match; professional and career development opportunities through our corporate university, as well as a highly-regarded tuition reimbursement program; and an unmatched culture focused on client-service, quality, and tireless pursuit of excellence in all we do. Atkins is an equal opportunity, drug-free employer committed to diversity in the workplace. EOE/Minorities/Females/Vet/Disability.
Please view Atkins Equal Opportunity Statement here:
Atkins cares about your privacy.
Please consult our to know more about how we collect, use and transfer your Personal Data.
By submitting your personal information to Atkins, you confirm that you have read and accept our Privacy Notice.