Senior Water/Wastewater Engineer and Team Lead
Atkins is one of the world’s most respected design, engineering and project management consultancies. Atkins has been providing infrastructure planning, engineering, construction, environmental consulting, urban planning, architecture, and program management services to public and private clients across the United States for more than 50 years.
Atkins has the depth and breadth of expertise to respond to the most technically challenging and time-critical infrastructure projects and the urgent transition to a low-carbon economy.
Atkins seeks an energetic and highly motivated self-starter to join our Los Angeles, CA office as a Senior Water/Wastewater Engineer and Team Lead. The Project Manager will lead and support staff performing work for public works agencies in the Los Angeles and surrounding areas, including planning and engineering design in water and wastewater infrastructure.
The ideal candidate will be self-motivated and be able to effectively carry out designs, work with diverse specialties and also be able to supervise a team of mid- and entry-level engineers and designers. Effective organizational and interpersonal skills are essential.
Executes complex assignments relating to planning, designing and preparing plans related to water and wastewater infrastructure including collection and transmission pipelines; pump stations; and water and wastewater treatment systems.
As an Senior Water/Wastewater Engineer, the candidate will apply standard engineering practices and techniques which may include the following:
- Developing Technical Engineering Documents including Reports, Specifications, Permits, Cost
- Estimates, Quantities, and Construction Plans
- Participating in conducting engineering investigations and planning work by completing well-defined tasks. These tasks may include collection and analysis of data using established procedures, performance of routine calculations, and participation in evaluating the feasibility of alternate solutions
- Performing data acquisition and analysis, researching the feasibility of alternative design approaches, site conditions, and/or regulatory agency specifications or regulations
- Organizing and performing engineering assessments, investigations and planning work
- Assisting with the preparation of hydraulic calculations with an emphasis on both pressure and gravity flow pipeline networks
- Performing quality control, maintaining quality standards in work produced, checking computations or reviews design drawings
- Preparing material for reports and permit applications, gathering information, writing rough outline, and/or preparing work progression documents and graphic presentations
- Preparing outlines, reports and/or assigned sections of reports
- Preparing outlines, presentations and/or assigned sections of presentations
- Performing field observations of construction procedures where appropriate
- Supporting the design and development of plans and drawings, including development of preliminary layouts and/or final drawings
- Contributing to the development of specifications and permit applications, and writing miscellaneous reports
- Coordinating with other disciplines as required
- Performing such other duties as the supervisor may from time to time deem necessary
- Upholding engineering ethics and professional standards of conduct
- Work closely with other units of the company to develop marketing and business development strategies to target client and business opportunities in the Southern California area
As the Team Lead for our Los Angeles and Long Beach offices, the candidate would be responsible for office leadership which may include the following:
- Workload forecasting for staff
- Staff hiring, management, retention and development
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- B.S. or M.S. in Civil, Chemical or Environmental Engineering. This level may be achieved with a Bachelor’s degree and four years’ experience since B.S.; three years’ experience since MS.
- The typical incumbent has 6 to 10 years’ experience since Bachelor's degree.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and strong technical writing and communications skills with proficiency in public speaking and presentations are a requirement.
- Ability to process paper/electronic documents and utilize computer equipment; ability to communicate clearly both orally and in writing; ability to visit project sites if necessary. Job also requires ability to plan, prioritize and review project plans and documents, evaluate alternatives, and devise appropriate solutions.
- Process, pump station and treatment plant experience is required.
- PC skills including Microsoft Office is required. Experience with Civil 3D and/or Microstation a plus.
- P.E. license is required.
- General Competencies expected of all Professionals and Managers are as follows: Client Service, Commitment, Communication, Innovation & Continuous Improvement, Professionalism, Quality, and Teamwork.
- Ability to process paper/electronic documents and utilize computer equipment; ability to communicate clearly both orally and in writing; ability to visit project sites if necessary. Job also requires ability to assemble and analyze data.
Atkins offers its employees a robust rewards package which includes: a competitive salary; a broad benefits package including medical/RX, dental, vision, life, disability, legal, hospitalization and other valuable voluntary options; generous time-off programs; flexible work schedules; 401(k) with employer match; professional and career development opportunities through our corporate university, as well as a highly-regarded tuition reimbursement program; and an unmatched culture focused on client-service, quality, and tireless pursuit of excellence in all we do. Atkins is an equal opportunity, drug-free employer committed to diversity in the workplace. EOE/Minorities/Females/Vet/Disability.
Please view Atkins Equal Opportunity Statement here:http://careers.atkinsglobal.com/File.ashx?path=Root/Documents/north-america-welcome-new-employee/Equal_Opp_Stmt.pdf
Atkins cares about your privacy.
Please consult our Privacy Notice to know more about how we collect, use and transfer your Personal Data.
By submitting your personal information to Atkins, you confirm that you have read and accept our Privacy Notice.
Our Latest Articles