Signalling Design Checker/ Senior Signalling Design Checker
Atkins are engaged in the delivery of signalling design on a number of significant projects and programmes, including the Croydon Area Remodelling Scheme (CARS), Norwich Yarmouth Lowestoft re-signalling, Feltham Re-signalling Programme and the East West Rail Phase 2 scheme. In addition to these, Atkins has recently been awarded the S&T Framework for Anglia, South East and Wessex (CP6), which includes a substantial quantity of level crossings upgrade / renewals projects.
We are also a key part of the Central Rail Systems Alliance (CRSA), with responsibility for the delivery of signalling design for all plain line and S&C renewals over the next two control periods (10 years), covering both LNE and LNW routes. Signalling design for various enhancement projects along these routes may also be delivered by Atkins.
Atkins are therefore seeking to recruit enthusiastic and conscientious IRSE licensed Signalling Principles Designers and Checkers to join our Transportation Systems Practice (Rail Signalling).
Whilst we are recruiting these positions within the signalling team in York, Atkins is one of the UK Railway industry’s largest signalling delivery organisations, delivering projects from early GRIP schemes development to detailed design, installation, test and final commissioning stages. Therefore, you will be part of a wider team of over 100 professional signalling engineers, with a collective depth and breadth of knowledge that can support and nurture your development as your career moves forward and you tackle new challenges.
If you are ready to take your career to the next level, and wish to join a professional team, committed to technical integrity, innovation and development of its people, then contact us today.
For this vacancy, subject to experience we are looking for individuals at Signalling Design Checker and/or Senior Signalling Design Checker level to be based in our design offices in York (Northern House).
- Holds a current IRSE Signalling Principles Designer Licence (1.1.550) and Signalling Design Verifier Licence (1.1.160)
- Substantial schemes development experience, with broad knowledge of UK railway standards, design processes and procedures (GRIP stage 1 to 4)
- Proficient in using appropriate industry standard CAD packages and signalling tools for the development of scheme plans and supporting designs
- Experience of undertaking signalling surveys, including knowledge of a broad range of lineside equipment and technologies
- Excellent communication skills and the ability to work closely with team members, including excellent standard of English for written communications
Desirable Qualifications and Experience
- HNC/HND/Degree Qualification(s) in Electrical Engineering or similar
- Detailed design experience (GRIP stage 5 to 8)
- Work package management / experience leading projects
- Membership of the IRSE and/or IET
- Fit and able to work trackside / PTS holder
The primary function of the role is to provide design delivery support in day to day duties throughout the project lifecycle, from inception to completion, including -
- Preparation, production and verification of railway signalling designs specifications and reports, applying first principles as required
- Ensure all deliverables produced comply with contractual and statutory requirements, including delivery within agreed timescales and performance parameters
- Liaising and meeting with others including clients, stakeholders and external railway contractors
- Supporting estimates/tenders as required
- Mentoring, support, guidance and development of junior staff
- Technical liaison with other team disciplines, departments and externally with the wider Atkins organisation, clients and stakeholders
- Highly motivated self-starter and flexible
- Collaborative team player, focused on results
- Thorough and disciplined
- Excellent communicator
- Able to manage time efficiently and prioritise duties
ATKINS, part of the SNC Lavalin Group, is committed to having a diverse and inclusive workforce. As an Equal Opportunities Employer, we value applications from all backgrounds, cultures and ability.
This role may require security clearance and offers of employment will be dependent on obtaining the relevant level of clearance. If this is necessary, it will be discussed with you at interview.
If applying to this role please do not make reference to (in conversation) or include in your application or CV, details of any current or previously held security clearance.
Our Latest Articles