Signalling Design Manager
This vacancy has now expired... why not:
Atkins are part of the recently awarded Track Renewals Alliance for the Central Region which covers Network Rail’s LNE and LNW routes. As part of the Alliance team working with Network Rail, Balfour Beatty and TSO, Atkins are responsible for delivery of all signalling design for plain line and S&C renewals over the next two Network Rail control periods (10 years). In addition to the significant volumes of track renewals design coming from these major mainline routes, the Track Alliance will be involved in the delivery of enhancement works along both routes, offering opportunities for the design teams to get involved in a wider portfolio of project work types in addition to the core track renewals.
We currently have a number of exciting opportunities for IRSE licensed signalling designers, at all levels, to join the Alliance team working in the LNW region out of offices in Birmingham. This provides an exciting opportunity for designers to be involved in a wide variety of renewals and enhancement projects covering a range of signalling technologies and working as part of a close-knit team with members from the client, contracting and consulting design parts of our industry. Seeing projects through from early GRIP scheme development to detailed design, installation and testing also provides great experience and career development for motivated individuals.
Whilst we are recruiting these positions to work as part of the Alliance team, Atkins has one of the Rail industry’s largest signalling design teams so you will be part of a wider team of over 100 professional signalling design engineers, with a collective depth and breadth of knowledge that can support and nurture your development as your career moves forward and you tackle new challenges.
So if you are ready to take your career to the next level, and wish to join a professional team, committed to technical integrity, innovation and development of its people, then contact us today.
For this role we are looking for individuals at Signalling Design Manager / Design CRE level to be based initially in our design offices in Birmingham (the Axis).
- Able to carry out Safety Critical Work
- Holds current IRSE Engineering Manager (Design) license (7.8.110E) and has previously held, or currently holds Signalling Verifier Licence and Signalling Principles Designer licences (1.1.160 and 1.1.550)
- Extensive senior level experience of UK signalling design delivery including knowledge of UK railway standards, design processes and procedures at both outline design (NR GRIP 3 to 4) and detailed design (NR GRIP5+) levels
- Proven experience of undertaking Signalling Design Contractors Responsible Engineer (CRE) duties in a variety of project environments involving a range of typical technologies currently deployed in the UK.
- Experience of signalling design / design management for S&C track renewals and/or stageworks.
- Excellent communication skills and the ability to work closely with team members located in different offices including excellent standard of English for written communications
- Able to communicate complex technical information to people without detailed knowledge of railway signalling systems
Desirable Qualifications and Experience
- Chartered Engineer (CEng) and/or has passed the IRSE professional examinations
- Degree Qualification(s) in Electrical Engineering or equivalent
- IRSE workplace assessor
- Fit and able to work trackside / hold PTS
To manage and lead teams engaged in project delivery throughout the project lifecycle, from inception to completion, including -
- Be responsible for the signalling design delivery of projects to ensure they comply with client requirements, company procedures, meet all operational, technical and safety principles and by doing so fulfil the role requirements of Signalling Design CRE when appointed.
- Ensure signalling design projects/packages are successfully delivered to budget and programme
- Attending meetings and technical liaison with alliance members, colleagues, clients and contractors
- Leading estimates / tenders as required
- Line management of design staff
- Provide mentoring, support, guidance and development of all staff
- Undertaking design office cover during commissionings, including bank holidays and weekends
- Thorough and disciplined
- Highly motivated self starter and flexible
- Collaborative team player, focused on results
- Excellent communicator
- Able to manage time efficiently and prioritise duties
ATKINS, part of the SNC Lavalin Group, is committed to having a diverse and inclusive workforce. As an Equal Opportunities Employer, we value applications from all backgrounds, cultures and ability.
This role may require security clearance and offers of employment will be dependent on obtaining the relevant level of clearance. If this is necessary, it will be discussed with you at interview.
If applying to this role please do not make reference to (in conversation) or include in your application or CV, details of any current or previously held security clearance.
Our Latest Articles