This vacancy has now expired... why not:
Atkins are part of the recently awarded Track Renewals Alliance for the Central Region which covers Network Rail’s LNE and LNW routes. As part of the Alliance team working with Network Rail, Balfour Beatty and TSO, Atkins are responsible for delivery of all signalling design for plain line and S&C renewals over the next two Network Rail control periods (10 years). In addition to the significant volumes of track renewals design coming from these major mainline routes, the Track Alliance will be involved in the delivery of enhancement works along both routes, offering opportunities for the design teams to get involved in a wider portfolio of project work types in addition to the core track renewals.
We currently have a number of exciting opportunities for IRSE licensed signalling designers, at all levels, to join the Alliance team working in the LNW region out of offices in Birmingham. This provides an exciting opportunity for designers to be involved in a wide variety of renewals and enhancement projects covering a range of signalling technologies and working as part of a close-knit team with members from the client, contracting and consulting design parts of our industry. Seeing projects through from early GRIP scheme development to detailed design, installation and testing also provides great experience and career development for motivated individuals.
Whilst we are recruiting these positions to work as part of the Alliance team, Atkins has one of the Rail industry’s largest signalling design teams so you will be part of a wider team of over 100 professional signalling design engineers, with a collective depth and breadth of knowledge that can support and nurture your development as your career moves forward and you tackle new challenges.
So if you are ready to take your career to the next level, and wish to join a professional team, committed to technical integrity, innovation and development of its people, then contact us today.
For this role we are looking for individuals at Signalling Designer level to be based initially in our design offices in Birmingham (the Axis).
- Able to carry out Safety Critical Work
- Holds current IRSE Signalling Designer licence (1.1.510)
- Experience including knowledge of UK railway standards, design processes and procedures preferable at both outline design (NR GRIP 3 to 4) and detailed design (NR GRIP5+) stages.
- Experience of using appropriate industry standard CAD packages
- Experience of signalling design in the UK mainline railway environment including a range of different lineside technologies and types of project.
- Good communication skills and the ability to work closely with team members including excellent standard of English for written communications
Desirable Qualifications and Experience
- HNC/HND Qualification(s) in Electrical Engineering or similar
- Fit and able to work trackside / hold PTS
- Experience of signalling design for S&C track renewals and/or stageworks.
Primary functions of the role include:
- Preparation and production of railway signalling designs, specifications, reports and working drawings ensuring compliance with all contractual and statutory requirements within agreed timescales and performance parameters.
- Assisting in the preparation of estimates and tender documentation
- Working within a records / document management system
- Assisting with correlation or other site survey works
- Undertaking design office cover (out of office hours)
- Creating and managing of trackers / registers for Design deliverables
- Supporting project engineering and delivery as required, including opportunities to go trackside undertaking Assistant Testing duties during commissioning periods
- Willing and able to learn
- Good written and verbal communication skills
- Can do attitude and flexible
- Able to work within a team but also be self-motivated
- Ability to manage time efficiently and prioritise duties
ATKINS, part of the SNC Lavalin Group, is committed to having a diverse and inclusive workforce. As an Equal Opportunities Employer, we value applications from all backgrounds, cultures and ability.
This role may require security clearance and offers of employment will be dependent on obtaining the relevant level of clearance. If this is necessary, it will be discussed with you at interview.
If applying to this role please do not make reference to (in conversation) or include in your application or CV, details of any current or previously held security clearance.
Our Latest Articles