Atkins’ UK Transportation business brings together the capabilities of our Rail, Highway and Local Transport teams, into a single business of 3,000 talented engineering professionals transport planners and consultants. The unique breadth of services in Transportation, combined with our scale, makes Atkins the leading UK transportation infrastructure consultancy. We create a culture and environment to inspire our people, ensure collaboration with our clients and continue to shape the future of mobility.
Atkins are part of the recently awarded Track Renewals Alliance for the Central Region which covers Network Rail’s LNE and LNW routes. As part of the Alliance team working with Network Rail, Balfour Beatty and TSO, Atkins are responsible for delivery of all signalling design for plain line and S&C renewals over the next two Network Rail control periods (10 years). In addition to the significant volumes of track renewals design coming from these major mainline routes, the Track Alliance will be involved in the delivery of enhancement works along both routes, offering opportunities for the design teams to get involved in a wider portfolio of project work types in addition to the core track renewals.
We currently have a number of opportunities for IRSE licensed signalling designers, at all levels, to join the Alliance team working in the LNW region out of offices in Birmingham. This provides an exciting opportunity for designers to be involved in a wide variety of renewals and enhancement projects, covering a range of signalling technologies and working as part of a close-knit team that comprises the client, contracting and consulting sectors of our industry. Delivering projects from early GRIP scheme development through to detailed design, installation and testing will provide valuable experience and career development for motivated individuals.
Whilst we are recruiting these positions to work as part of the Alliance, Atkins has one of the Rail industry’s largest signalling design teams so you will become part of a wider team of over 100 professional signalling design engineers, with a collective depth and breadth of knowledge that can support and nurture your development, as your career moves forward and you tackle new challenges.
If you are ready to take your career to the next level, and wish to join a professional team, committed to technical integrity, innovation and development of its people, then contact us today.
For this role we are looking for individuals at Signalling Designer level to be based in our design offices in Birmingham.
- Able to carry out Safety Critical Work
- Holds current IRSE Signalling Designer licence (1.1.510)
- Experience including knowledge of UK railway standards, design processes and procedures preferable at both outline design (NR GRIP 3 to 4) and detailed design (NR GRIP5+) stages.
- Experience of using appropriate industry standard CAD packages
- Experience of signalling design in the UK mainline railway environment including a range of different lineside technologies and types of project.
- Good communication skills and the ability to work closely with team members including excellent standard of English for written communications
Desirable Qualifications and Experience
- HNC/HND Qualification(s) in Electrical Engineering or similar
- Fit and able to work trackside / hold PTS
- Experience of signalling design for S&C track renewals and/or stageworks.
- Preparation and production of railway signalling designs, specifications, reports and working drawings ensuring compliance with all contractual and statutory requirements within agreed timescales and performance parameters.
- Assisting in the preparation of estimates and tender documentation
- Working within a records / document management system
- Assisting with correlation or other site survey works
- Undertaking design office cover (out of office hours)
- Creating and managing of trackers / registers for Design deliverables
- Supporting project engineering and delivery as required, including opportunities to go trackside undertaking Assistant Testing duties during commissioning periods
- Willing and able to learn
- Good written and verbal communication skills
- Can do attitude and flexible
- Able to work within a team but also be self-motivated
- Ability to manage time efficiently and prioritise duties
Atkins recognise that there are many well qualified people who are looking to further their career, but who cannot commit to full time employment. We support flexible working arrangements and are interested to discuss how we can accommodate individual requirements
ATKINS, part of the SNC Lavalin Group, is committed to having a diverse and inclusive workforce. As an Equal Opportunities Employer, we value applications from all backgrounds, cultures and ability.
This role may require security clearance and offers of employment will be dependent on obtaining the relevant level of clearance. If this is necessary, it will be discussed with you at interview.
If applying to this role please do not make reference to (in conversation) or include in your application or CV, details of any current or previously held security clearance.
Atkins’ UK Transportation business brings together the capabilities of our Rail, Highway and Local Transport teams, into a single business of 3,000 talented engineering professionals transport planner
Senior Testing Engineer (Principles) IRSE 1.3.180, 1.3.170 (Work From Home Opportunity)Are you ready to take up a vital role in shaping some of our exciting projects? How about joining our talented te
Our Latest Articles
Recently viewed jobs