Atkins have recently enjoyed a number of major projects wins including Cornwall Capacity Enhancement, Norwich Yarmouth Lowestoft and Shepperton signalling projects..
Atkins are therefore seeking to recruit a enthusiastic and conscientious designer into our Transportation Systems Practice (Rail Signalling) to be Assistant Signalling Designer / Signalling Designer within our design team.
Atkins has one of the UK Rail industry’s largest signalling engineering teams and as such you will be joining our Signalling Systems Practice which comprises a team of over 100 professional signalling design personnel, project engineers and engineering managers. This, together with Atkins broader cross discipline capability and our Global Design Centre, means our engineers have an unrivalled collective knowledge to tap into and learn from.
This role is that of a Assistant Signalling Designer / Signalling Designer reporting to a Signalling Design Manager.
Primary functions include:
• Preparation and production of railway signalling designs, specifications, reports and working drawings ensuring compliance with all contractual and statutory requirements within agreed timescales and performance parameters
• Assisting in the preparation of estimates and tender documentation
• Working within a records / document management system
• Assisting with correlation or other site survey works
• Undertaking design office cover (out of office hours)
• Creating and managing of trackers / registers for Design deliverables
• Supporting project engineering and delivery as required, including opportunities to go trackside undertaking Assistant Testing duties during commissioning periods
Essential Qualifications and Experience:
• Knowledge and experience of signalling
• HNC / HND / Degree or other technical qualification, preferable electrical or electronic
Desirable Qualifications and Experience:
• Holds an IRSE Licence(s), preferably a design license
• Experience of working within the railway signalling environment
• Experience of working within a design environment
• Experience of using appropriate industry standard CAD packages
• Knowledge of signalling equipment and systems, particularly electronic systems
• Willing and able to learn
• Good written and verbal communication skills
• Can do attitude and flexible
• Able to work within a team, but also be self motivating
• Fit and able to work trackside / hold PTS
• Ability to manage time efficiently and prioritise duties
With design offices in Glasgow, York, Swindon and Birmingham we offer flexibility in location.
The role will be office based, but the candidate will be required to work at other project sites / offices.
This role may require security clearance and offers of employment will be dependent on obtaining the relevant level of clearance. If this is necessary it will be discussed with you at interview.
If applying to this role please do not make reference to (in conversation) or include in your application or CV, details of any current or previously held security clearance.
Our Latest Articles