Are you ready to take up a vital role in shaping some of our exciting projects? How about joining our talented team, where everyone has a voice, and together we face our clients' problems head-on. It's a diverse and inclusive work environment where world-class talent knows no distinctions.
We know that different people have different priorities, which is why we're here to support you. Flexible and remote working is a central part of our culture. So, talk to us about what's ideal for you – from reduced weeks to buying more leave over school holidays. And if you're returning from a career break, ask us how we can help you transition back into work with us.
Atkins are engaged in the delivery of signalling design on a number of significant projects and programmes, including the Feltham Re-signalling Programme and the East West Rail Phase 2 scheme. In addition to these, Atkins has recently been awarded the S&T Framework for Anglia, South East and Wessex (CP6), which includes a substantial quantity of level crossings upgrade / renewals projects.
We are also a key part of the Central Rail Systems Alliance (CRSA), with responsibility for the delivery of signalling design for all plain line and S&C renewals over the next two control periods (10 years), covering both LNE and LNW routes. Signalling design for various enhancement projects along these routes may also be delivered by Atkins.
Atkins are therefore seeking to recruit an enthusiastic and conscientious IRSE licensed Signalling Designer to join our Transportation Systems Practice (Rail Signalling).
Whilst we are recruiting these positions within the signalling team in Swindon, Atkins is one of the UK Railway industry’s largest signalling delivery organisations, delivering projects from early GRIP schemes development to detailed design, installation, test and final commissioning stages. Therefore, you will be part of a wider team of over 100 professional signalling engineers, with a collective depth and breadth of knowledge that can support and nurture your development as your career moves forward and you tackle new challenges.
If you are ready to take your career to the next level, and wish to join a professional team, committed to technical integrity, innovation and development of its people, then contact us today.
For this vacancy we are looking for individuals at Signalling Designer level to be based in our design office in central Swindon (Milford House).
- Holds a current IRSE 1.1.510 Signalling Designer Licence
- Substantial signalling detailed design experience, with broad knowledge of UK railway standards, design processes and procedures (GRIP stages 4 to 8)
- Proficient in using appropriate industry standard CAD packages and signalling tools for the development of scheme plans and supporting designs
- Experience of undertaking signalling surveys, including knowledge of a broad range of lineside equipment and technologies
- Excellent communication skills and the ability to work closely with team members, including excellent standard of English for written communications
Desirable Qualifications and Experience
- HNC/HND/Degree Qualification(s) in Electrical Engineering or similar
- Scheme development design experience (GRIP stages 1 to 3)
- Membership of the IRSE and/or IET
- Fit and able to work trackside / PTS holder
The primary function of the role is to provide design delivery support in day to day duties throughout the project lifecycle, from inception to completion, including -
- Preparation and production of railway signalling designs specifications and reports. The primary role is the production of detailed design alterations to existing signalling systems.
- Ensure all deliverables produced comply with contractual and statutory requirements, including delivery within agreed timescales and performance parameters
- Liaising and meeting with others including clients, stakeholders and external railway contractors
- Supporting estimates/tenders as required
- Mentoring, support, guidance and development of junior staff
- Technical liaison with other team disciplines, departments and externally with the wider Atkins organisation, clients and stakeholders
- Highly motivated self-starter and flexible
- Collaborative team player, focused on results
- Thorough and disciplined
- Excellent communicator
- Able to manage time efficiently and prioritise duties
Flexible Benefits and Training
- The health and well-being of our staff is paramount, and as such Atkins offers a wide range of flexible benefits for all employees.
- Benefits include flexible holiday packages, bike4work, corporate gym membership and health insurance discounts and 24h access to our Employee Assistance Programme for confidential support on both personal and work-related issues.
- Flexible and part-time working is also a key part of Atkins approach to health and wellbeing, and as such applicants are welcome to discuss their specific working requirements if invited for interview.
- Atkins develops individuals through a portfolio of training and development activities designed to help you make the best of your abilities and talents. These are reviewed with individuals through an annual appraisal process. We actively support staff in achieving corporate membership of relevant institutions.
Why work for Atkins?
Our Transportation teams are reinventing transport for a challenging yet exciting future. We're creating new ideas and smart solutions for cities, people and the environment. You'll be working alongside some of the top people in our industry, solving challenges that bring together traditional engineering and new technologies. As part of our organisation, you'll be in a privileged position, delivering what's right for governments and communities. You'll be helping us to improve our leading environmental performance while enabling others to do the same.
Meeting your needs
To help you get the most out of life in and outside of work, we offer employees "Total Reward." It's a package that can be tailored to your changing lifestyle, career and personal needs. You'll enjoy benefits such as partner discounts, leadership training, professional, accreditations, and career planning for any stage of your career.
Making sure you're supported is important to us. So, if you identify as having a disability, tell us ahead of your interview. And let's talk through any adjustments you might need.
More about us
Atkins, a member of the SNC-Lavalin Group, is a leading global consultancy with over 80 years of design and engineering expertise. With us, you'll be surrounded by the skills, knowledge and support to help you succeed. Together, we can deliver projects which have a positive, sustainable impact on the world.
Atkins, ranked as one of LinkedIn’s Top 25 Companies, where UK professionals want to work and stay once, they join.
Atkins recognise that there are many well qualified people who are looking to further their career, but who cannot commit to full time employment. We support flexible working arrangements and are interested to discuss how we can accommodate individual requirements.
ATKINS, part of the SNC Lavalin Group, is committed to having a diverse and inclusive workforce. As an Equal Opportunities Employer, we value applications from all backgrounds, cultures and ability.
This role may require security clearance and offers of employment will be dependent on obtaining the relevant level of clearance. If this is necessary, it will be discussed with you at interview.
If applying to this role please do not make reference to (in conversation) or include in your application or CV, details of any current or previously held security clearance.
#LI-UK #LI-ATKINS #LI-Transportation
Senior Signalling Design Checker Are you ready to take up a vital role in shaping some of our exciting projects? How about joining our talented team, where everyone has a voice, and together we face o
Our Latest Articles
Recently viewed jobs