Signalling Principles Designer
Signalling Principles Designer
Signalling Principles Designer
Are you ready to take up a vital role in shaping some of our exciting projects? How about joining our talented team, where everyone has a voice, and together we face our clients' problems head-on. It's a diverse and inclusive work environment where world-class talent knows no distinctions.
We know that different people have different priorities, which is why we're here to support you. Flexible and remote working is a central part of our culture. So, talk to us about what's ideal for you – from reduced weeks to buying more leave over school holidays. And if you're returning from a career break, ask us how we can help you transition back into work with us.
Atkins’ UK Transportation business brings together the capabilities of our Rail, Highway and Local Transport teams, into a single business of 3,000 talented engineering professionals transport planners and consultants. The unique breadth of services in Transportation, combined with our scale, makes Atkins the leading UK transportation infrastructure consultancy. We create a culture and environment to inspire our people, ensure collaboration with our clients and continue to shape the future of mobility.
As one of the industry’s largest signalling organisations, we deliver various projects from schemes development to detailed design, construction, test and final commissioning stages. With over 100 professional signalling engineers, we have a collective depth and breadth of knowledge that can support and nurture your development as you tackle new challenges and your career progresses.
We are currently engaged in the delivery of significant projects, including the Feltham Re-signalling Programme and East West Rail (EWR) Phase 2. Additionally, we are Network Rail’s ‘S&T Framework’ contractor for Anglia, South East and Wessex routes which includes a substantial quantity of signalling renewals and enhancement projects. We are also the multi-disciplinary design organisation within the Central Rail Systems Alliance (CRSA), which covers Network Rail’s LNE and LNW routes and includes the delivery of all signalling design for plain line and S&C renewals throughout the duration of CP6 and CP7 (10 Years). In addition, we are supporting the delivery of various enhancement works along both of these routes, offering opportunities to get involved in a wide portfolio of work.
For this role we are looking for individuals at ‘Signalling Principles Designer’ level to join our Signalling Design Team in York.
Here you will have the opportunity to develop signalling projects from various stages, engaging with clients and stakeholders and providing the best possible design solutions. Work includes all stages of the project development lifecycle, from feasibility studies and optioneering through to single option scheme plan development to ‘Approval in Principle’ status. Projects range from small scale alterations, through to major signalling renewals and enhancement schemes. The technology can vary from the most modern computer based interlockings and control systems through to mechanical signal boxes, often with the requirement to integrate different generations of technology.
If you are ready to take your career to the next level, and wish to join a professional team, committed to technical integrity, innovation and development of its people, then contact us today.
The primary function of the role is to provide signalling principles design support during the early development stages of projects, with opportunities to provide further support or gain experience during detailed design, construction, test and final commissioning stages, including:
- Preparation of signalling schemes designs, specifications and reports, applying first principles for relevant parts of new or altered signalling systems, to meet client requirements
- Ensure all deliverables produced comply with contractual and statutory requirements, including delivery within agreed timescales and performance parameters
- Technical liaison with other team disciplines, departments and externally with the wider Atkins organisation, contractors, clients and stakeholders
- Supporting signalling estimates/tenders, as required
- Providing mentoring, support, guidance and development of junior staff
- Holds a current IRSE Signalling Principles Designer Licence (1.1.550)
- Schemes Development experience with broad knowledge of UK railway signalling standards, design processes and procedures
- Proficient in using appropriate industry standard CAD packages and signalling tools for the development of signalling scheme plans
- Knowledge or experience of undertaking signalling surveys, including knowledge of a broad range of lineside equipment and technologies
- Highly motivated, thorough and disciplined with the ability to work collaboratively with team members, manages time efficiently, prioritise duties and focused on results
- Excellent communication skills, including high standard of English for written communications
Desirable Qualifications and Experience
- HNC/HND/Degree Qualification(s) in Electrical Engineering
- Detailed design experience
- Membership of the IRSE and/or IET
- Gaining evidence towards IRSE Signalling Design Verifier Licence (1.1.550)
- PTS holder
- Atkins recognise there are many well qualified people who are looking to further their career and cannot commit to full time employment. We support flexible working arrangements and are interested to discuss how we can accommodate individual requirements.
- Atkins develops individuals through a portfolio of training and development activities designed to help you make the best of your abilities and talents. These are reviewed with individuals through an annual appraisal process. We actively support staff in achieving corporate membership of relevant institutions.
Why work for Atkins?
Our Transportation teams are reinventing transport for a challenging yet exciting future. We're creating new ideas and smart solutions for cities, people and the environment. You'll be working alongside some of the top people in our industry, solving challenges that bring together traditional engineering and new technologies. As part of our organisation, you'll be in a privileged position, delivering what's right for governments and communities. You'll be helping us to improve our leading environmental performance while enabling others to do the same.
Meeting your needs
To help you get the most out of life in and outside of work, we offer employees "Total Reward." It's a package that can be tailored to your changing lifestyle, career and personal needs. You'll enjoy benefits such as partner discounts, leadership training, professional, accreditations, and career planning for any stage of your career.
Making sure you're supported is important to us. So, if you identify as having a disability, tell us ahead of your interview. And let's talk through any adjustments you might need.
More about us
Atkins, a member of the SNC-Lavalin Group, is a leading global consultancy with over 80 years of design and engineering expertise. With us, you'll be surrounded by the skills, knowledge and support to help you succeed. Together, we can deliver projects which have a positive, sustainable impact on the world.
Atkins, ranked as one of LinkedIn’s Top 25 Companies, where UK professionals want to work and stay once, they join.
Atkins recognise that there are many well qualified people who are looking to further their career, but who cannot commit to full time employment. We support flexible working arrangements and are interested to discuss how we can accommodate individual requirements.
ATKINS, part of the SNC Lavalin Group, is committed to having a diverse and inclusive workforce. As an Equal Opportunities Employer, we value applications from all backgrounds, cultures and ability.
This role may require security clearance and offers of employment will be dependent on obtaining the relevant level of clearance. If this is necessary, it will be discussed with you at interview.
If applying to this role please do not make reference to (in conversation) or include in your application or CV, details of any current or previously held security clearance.
#LI-UK #LI-ATKINS #LI-Transportation
Signalling Principles Design Verifier (York / Birmingham)Are you ready to take up a vital role in shaping some of our exciting projects? How about joining our talented team, where everyone has a voice
Atkins’ UK Transportation business brings together the capabilities of our Rail, Highway and Local Transport teams, into a single business of 3,000 talented engineering professionals transport planner
Our Latest Articles
Recently viewed jobs