Signalling Principles Designer
Signalling Principles Designer
Atkins’ UK Transportation business brings together the capabilities of our Rail, Highway and Local Transport teams, into a single business of 3,000 talented engineering professionals transport planners and consultants. The unique breadth of services in Transportation, combined with our scale, makes Atkins the leading UK transportation infrastructure consultancy. We create a culture and environment to inspire our people, ensure collaboration with our clients and continue to shape the future of mobility.
As one of the industry’s largest signalling organisations, we deliver various projects from schemes development to detailed design, construction, test and final commissioning stages. With over 100 professional signalling engineers, we have a collective depth and breadth of knowledge that can support and nurture your development, as your career progresses and you tackle new challenges.
We are currently engaged in the delivery of significant projects, including the Croydon Area Remodelling Scheme (CARS), Feltham Re-signalling Programme and East West Rail (EWR) Phase 2. Additionally, we have been awarded the S&T Framework for Anglia, South East and Wessex, which includes a substantial quantity of signalling renewals and enhancement projects. We have also been also awarded the Central Rail Systems Alliance (CRSA), which covers Network Rail’s LNE and LNW routes and includes the delivery of all signalling design for plain line and S&C renewals throughout the duration of CP6 and CP7 (10 Years). In addition, we are supporting the delivery of various enhancement works along both of these routes, offering opportunities to get involved in a wide portfolio of work.
For this role we are looking for individuals at ‘Signalling Principles Designer’ level to be based from our multi-disciplinary design offices in York.
If you are ready to take your career to the next level, and wish to join a professional team, committed to technical integrity, innovation and development of its people, then contact us today.
The primary function of the role is to provide signalling principles design support during the early development stages of projects (GRIP1-4), with opportunities to provide further support or gain experience during detailed design, construction, test and final commissioning stages (GRIP5-8), including:
- Preparation of signalling schemes designs, specifications and reports, applying first principles for relevant parts of new or altered signalling systems
- Ensure all deliverables produced comply with contractual and statutory requirements, including delivery within agreed timescales and performance parameters
- Technical liaison with other team disciplines, departments and externally with the wider Atkins organisation, contractors, clients and stakeholders
- Supporting signalling estimates/tenders, as required
- Providing mentoring, support, guidance and development of junior staff
- Holds a current IRSE Signalling Principles Designer Licence (1.1.550)
- Significant Schemes Development experience (GRIP1-4), with broad knowledge of UK railway signalling standards, design processes and procedures
- Proficient in using appropriate industry standard CAD packages and signalling tools for the development of signalling scheme plans
- Experience of undertaking signalling surveys, including knowledge of a broad range of lineside equipment and technologies
- Highly motivated self-starter, thorough and disciplined with the ability to work collaboratively with team members, manages time efficiently, prioritise duties and focused on results
- Excellent communication skills, including high standard of English for written communications
Desirable Qualifications and Experience
- HNC/HND/Degree Qualification(s) in Electrical Engineering
- Detailed design experience (GRIP5-8)
- Membership of the IRSE and/or IET
- Gaining evidence towards IRSE Signalling Design Verifier Licence (1.1.160)
- PTS holder
Atkins recognise there are many well qualified people who are looking to further their career and cannot commit to full time employment. We support flexible working arrangements and are interested to discuss how we can accommodate individual requirements.
ATKINS, part of the SNC Lavalin Group, is committed to having a diverse and inclusive workforce. As an Equal Opportunities Employer, we value applications from all backgrounds, cultures and ability.
This role may require security clearance and offers of employment will be dependent on obtaining the relevant level of clearance. If this is necessary, it will be discussed with you at interview.
If applying to this role please do not make reference to (in conversation) or include in your application or CV, details of any current or previously held security clearance.
#LI-UK #LI-ATKINS #LI-Transportation
Atkins’ UK Transportation business brings together the capabilities of our Rail, Highway and Local Transport teams, into a single business of 3,000 talented engineering professionals transport planner
Our Latest Articles
Recently viewed jobs