Signalling Principles Designer/Verifier
Signalling Principles Designer/Verifier
Atkins’ UK Transportation business brings together the capabilities of our Rail, Highway and Local Transport teams, into a single business of 3,000 talented engineering professionals transport planners and consultants. The unique breadth of services in Transportation, combined with our scale, makes Atkins the leading UK transportation infrastructure consultancy. We create a culture and environment to inspire our people, ensure collaboration with our clients and continue to shape the future of mobility.
Atkins are part of the recently awarded Track Renewals Alliance for the Central Region which covers Network Rail’s LNE and LNW routes. As part of the Alliance team working with Network Rail, Balfour Beatty and TSO, Atkins are responsible for delivery of all signalling design for plain line and S&C renewals over the next two Network Rail control periods (10 years). In addition to the significant volumes of track renewals design coming from these major mainline routes, the Track Alliance will be involved in the delivery of enhancement works along both routes, offering opportunities for the design teams to get involved in a wider portfolio of project work types in addition to the core track renewals.
We currently have a number of opportunities for IRSE licensed signalling designers, at all levels, to join the Alliance team working in the LNW region out of offices in Birmingham. This provides an exciting opportunity for designers to be involved in a wide variety of renewals and enhancement projects, covering a range of signalling technologies and working as part of a close-knit team that comprises the client, contracting and consulting sectors of our industry. Delivering projects from early GRIP scheme development through to detailed design, installation and testing will provide valuable experience and career development for motivated individuals.
Whilst we are recruiting these positions to work as part of the Alliance, Atkins has one of the Rail industry’s largest signalling design teams so you will become part of a wider team of over 100 professional signalling design engineers, with a collective depth and breadth of knowledge that can support and nurture your development, as your career moves forward and you tackle new challenges.
If you are ready to take your career to the next level, and wish to join a professional team, committed to technical integrity, innovation and development of its people, then contact us today.
For this role we are looking for individuals at Signalling Principles Designer / Verifier level to be based in our design offices in Birmingham.
- Able to carry out Safety Critical Work
- Holds current IRSE Signalling Verifier Licence and Signalling Principles Designer licences (1.1.160 and 1.1.550)
- Significant UK signalling principles design/checking experience including knowledge of UK railway standards, design processes and procedures preferable at both outline design (NR GRIP 3 to 4) and detailed design (NR GRIP5+) levels
- Experience of using appropriate industry standard CAD packages
- Experience of signalling design for S&C track renewals and/or stageworks involving a broad range of lineside equipment and technologies
- Excellent communication skills and the ability to work closely with team members located in different offices including excellent standard of English for written communications
Desirable Qualifications and Experience
- HNC/HND/Degree Qualification(s) in Electrical Engineering or similar
- Fit and able to work trackside / hold PTS
To lead and support project delivery in day to day duties throughout the project lifecycle, from inception to completion, including -
- Preparation, production and verification of railway signalling designs, specifications, reports and working drawings using first principles for relevant parts of a new or altered signalling systems, ensuring compliance with all contractual and statutory requirements.
- To ensure all design produced complies with client requirements, alliance/company procedures, meets all operational, technical and safety principles and is successfully delivered to budget and programme
- Liaising and meeting with others including client, construction and testing staff and other railway contractors
- Supporting estimates/tenders as required
- Mentoring, support, guidance and development of junior staff
- Technical liaison with other alliance team disciplines, departments and externally with the wider Atkins organisation and client
- Undertaking design office cover during commissioning periods, including bank holidays and weekends
- Highly motivated self-starter and flexible
- Collaborative team player, focused on results
- Thorough and disciplined
- Excellent communicator
- Able to manage time efficiently and prioritise duties
Atkins recognise that there are many well qualified people who are looking to further their career, but who cannot commit to full time employment. We support flexible working arrangements and are interested to discuss how we can accommodate individual requirements
ATKINS, part of the SNC Lavalin Group, is committed to having a diverse and inclusive workforce. As an Equal Opportunities Employer, we value applications from all backgrounds, cultures and ability.
This role may require security clearance and offers of employment will be dependent on obtaining the relevant level of clearance. If this is necessary, it will be discussed with you at interview.
If applying to this role please do not make reference to (in conversation) or include in your application or CV, details of any current or previously held security clearance.
Our Latest Articles
Recently viewed jobs