Signalling Principles Designer/ Verifier
Atkins have recently enjoyed a number of major projects wins including Cornwall Capacity Enhancement, Norwich Yarmouth Lowestoft and Feltham signalling projects.
Atkins are therefore seeking to recruit a enthusiastic and conscientious designer into our Transportation Systems Practice (Rail Signalling) to be Principles Designer / Verifier within our design team.
Atkins has one of the UK Rail industry’s largest signalling engineering teams and as such you will be joining our Signalling Systems Practice which comprises a team of over 100 professional signalling design personnel, project engineers and engineering managers. This, together with Atkins broader cross discipline capability and our Global Design Centre, means our engineers have an unrivalled collective knowledge to tap into and learn from.
So if you are ready to take your career to the next level, and wish to join a professional team, committed to technical integrity, innovation and development of its people, then contact us today.
For this role we are looking for individuals at Signalling Principles Designer / Verifier level to be based in our design office in central Swindon.
- Able to carry out Safety Critical Work
- Holds current IRSE Signalling Verifier Licence and Signalling Principles Designer licences (1.1.160 and 1.1.550)
- Significant UK signalling principles design/checking experience including knowledge of UK railway standards, design processes and procedures preferable at both outline design (NR GRIP 3 to 4) and detailed design (NR GRIP5+) levels
- Experience of using appropriate industry standard CAD packages
- Experience of signalling design for level crossings and/or stageworks involving a broad range of lineside equipment and technologies
- Creating and managing of trackers / registers for Design deliverables
- Excellent communication skills and the ability to work closely with team members located in different offices including excellent standard of English for written communications
Desirable Qualifications and Experience
- HNC/HND/Degree Qualification(s) in Electrical Engineering or similar
- Fit and able to work trackside / hold PTS
To lead and support project delivery in day to day duties throughout the project lifecycle, from inception to completion, including -
- Preparation, production and verification of railway signalling designs, specifications, reports and working drawings using first principles for relevant parts of a new or altered signalling systems, ensuring compliance with all contractual and statutory requirements.
- To ensure all design produced complies with client requirements, alliance/company procedures, meets all operational, technical and safety principles and is successfully delivered to budget and programme
- Liaising and meeting with others including client, construction and testing staff and other railway contractors
- Supporting estimates/tenders as required
- Mentoring, support, guidance and development of junior staff
- Technical liaison with other alliance team disciplines, departments and externally with the wider Atkins organisation and client
- Undertaking design office cover during commissioning periods, including bank holidays and weekends
- Highly motivated self starter and flexible
- Collaborative team player, focused on results
- Thorough and disciplined
- Excellent communicator
- Able to manage time efficiently and prioritise duties
This role may require security clearance and offers of employment will be dependent on obtaining the relevant level of clearance. If this is necessary, it will be discussed with you at interview.
If applying to this role please do not make reference to (in conversation) or include in your application or CV, details of any current or previously held security clearance.
Our Latest Articles