Atkins has a thriving safety-critical software team providing consultancy and engineering services to a range of clients in industries such as Nuclear Power, Defence, Rail and Aerospace. The role is to provide consultancy to Atkins’ clients, who will be responsible for systems having a significant programmable element that are used in a safety or security critical context. Atkins provides a service to our clients to provide advice on how to develop and verify such systems to ensure that they meet engineering standards and regulatory requirements, as well as providing services to develop and verify programmable systems.
What you can bring?
- Knowledge of design, development and test of real-time, embedded software, particularly in a safety-critical context.
- Experience of applying standards used in safety and mission-critical industries such as IEC 61508, DEF-STAN 00-55 and 00-56, ARP4754/4761 and/or RTCA DO-178/DO-254.
- Experience of developing and / or assuring Software, Programmable Logic Devices (PLD) and Complex Electronic Hardware (CEH) Systems.
- We are especially interested in hearing from candidates that have demonstrable experience of providing independent advice, support and guidance in an Aerospace, Rail, Nuclear, Medical or other safety critical environment.
- Experience of developing pragmatic and novel solutions to complex problems, with an ability to think “outside of the box” where required.
- Degree-level qualification in Electronics Engineering, Software Engineering, Safety-critical systems engineering, Computer Science or STEM subject. Chartered Engineer status, or membership of a relevant professional body is expected.
- To support current long term programmes we are very interested in people who have demonstrable software and Complex Electronic Hardware (CEH) development and test experience in C, C++, ADA, Verilog or VEHDL programming languages.
- Track record of developing or verifying and validating safety-critical systems and/or software in a highly regulated industry such as Nuclear, Medical or Aerospace.
- Strong problem-solving skills.
- Ability to contribute to all elements of the project lifecycle.
- Excellent communication skills in the English language, both written and verbal, and with colleagues and clients.
- Ability to work effectively both individually and as part of a team.
- A strong work ethic and level of professionalism.
- Candidate needs to be organised and be able to think creatively.
Let's shape the future by doing things right.
You might know us for the great work we do across our wide variety of projects. We're proud to say it's thanks to our people's diversity of thought, expertise and knowledge. And when you join us, you'll be a part of this genuinely collaborative environment, where everyone's voice is valued and treated equally.
We're passionate about what we do, but we don't take ourselves too seriously. Simply put, this a great place to be. So, when it comes to your life outside of work, ask us about our flexible and remote working policies designed to help you get the most out of life.
Why work for Atkins?
The UK is the first major economy to legislate for a Net Zero target by 2050. To achieve this, our Energy Teams are ensuring a mix of secure and sustainable energies that can meet our industry and lifestyle demands today, and in 30 years' time. We help to power our world through exciting new technologies and intelligent cybersecurity systems on projects that vary greatly in size, scope, and scale. So, you'll be creating the right safe and resilient systems across nuclear power, renewables, decarbonisation development, new builds and energy efficiency.
We value your diversity and believe that everyone deserves to thrive – no exceptions. You'll be part of a culture committed to finding new talent from underrepresented groups. We're Disability Confident, an Inclusive Employer, and support STEM Returners. We also want to see more women in senior roles at Atkins. In the energy sector, we've signed up to the AXIS Pledge, promising to make equal pay, equal leadership, and equal opportunities a reality.
Meeting your needs:
When you start with us, you'll enjoy “Total Reward,” a package that can be tailored to your lifestyle, career and personal needs. From flexible holidays to life assurance, health & wellbeing benefits, and career planning for the senior stage of your career.
Making sure you're supported is important to us. So, if you identify as having a disability, tell us ahead of your interview. And let's talk about any adjustments you might need.
More about us:
Atkins, a member of the SNC-Lavalin Group, is a leading global consultancy with over 80 years of design and engineering expertise. With us, you'll be surrounded by the skills, knowledge and support to help you succeed. Together, we can deliver projects which have a positive, sustainable impact on the world.
Atkins is committed to having a diverse and inclusive workforce. As an Equal Opportunities Employer, we value applications from all backgrounds, cultures and ability.
This role may require security clearance and offers of employment will be dependent on obtaining the relevant level of clearance. If this is necessary, it will be discussed with you at interview.
If applying to this role please do not make reference to (in conversation) or include in your application or CV, details of any current or previously held security clearance.
Join us by building a carbon free future.Are you a committed, connected and enthusiastic individual who will naturally bring knowledge and experience of mature and proven data analytics solutions from
Associate Director, Global Head of Robotics, NuclearAre you a motivated and driven team player who will naturally bring knowledge and experience of mature and proven robotic solutions from other secto
Our Latest Articles
Recently viewed jobs