Software Engineer – Safety Critical Systems
The Atkins Critical Digital Systems team specialises in consultancy, delivery and research into safety and security critical software and programmable hardware. Due to increased long-term demand from clients across many industry sectors including Nuclear Power, Rail, Defence, Automotive and Aerospace we are looking for highly motivated individuals to join our team.
This is a technical consultancy role that would suit a software engineer or mathematician with previous experience across the full development lifecycle of safety or security related software or programmable hardware systems.
The role requires a degree in a numerical discipline. It is highly desirable that candidates have exposure to some of the following:
- Experience of providing advice to safety or security critical software development teams
- Experience of the full development lifecycle gained in the Avionics, Rail, Nuclear, Medical or other safety critical environment
- Experience of high-level programming languages such as C and Ada, or low-level languages such as assembler languages or programmable hardware (FPGAs or ASICs) and Hardware Description Languages such as Verilog and VHDL
- Experience of verifying software or programmable hardware (e.g. unit testing, simulation)
To support our clients’ varied needs and our broad pipeline of work, we are also interested in candidates with one or more of the following:
- Knowledge of the standards used in software-based systems in safety- or mission-critical industries like IEC 61508 or DO-178C
- Knowledge of development and test of real-time, embedded and control systems using tools like SCADE and VectorCast
- Knowledge of formal methods using tools like Polyspace, SPARK and MALPAS
The successful candidate will:
- Have a diligent and accurate work ethic and strong problem solving skills;
- Be able to contribute to all elements of the project lifecycle;
- Have excellent communication in the English language, both written and verbal, and with colleagues and clients;
- Be able to work effectively both individually, and as part of a team;
- Have a strong work ethic and level of professionalism;
- Be organised and be able to think creatively.
- Candidates will ideally be degree qualified (min 2:1) or equivalent in a numerate discipline with a significant software engineering element.
The successful candidate will:
- Provide consultancy to clients on how to develop, procure and manage safety and security critical software
- Supervise and undertake development, assurance, verification and testing of software used in safety-critical systems.
- Manage staff and/or projects
- Research and evaluate new tools and techniques for safety and security related software
- Develop papers and present at conferences
Some work outside normal office hours may be necessary. Travel to and from client sites and/or temporary secondment to client’s offices may also be required. Secondments to other Atkins or SNC Lavalin offices in the UK or overseas may be available.
You will be required to be flexible in terms of work location and travel. If deployed at client site you should be geographically mobile and be prepared to work on-site anywhere in the UK.
This role may require security clearance and offers of employment will be dependent on obtaining the relevant level of clearance. If this is necessary it will be discussed with you at interview.
If applying to this role please do not make reference to (in conversation) or include in your application or CV, details of any current or previously held security clearance.
ATKINS, part of the SNC Lavalin Group, is committed to having a diverse and inclusive workforce. As an Equal Opportunities Employer, we value applications from all backgrounds, cultures and ability.