Southern California Rail & Transit Senior Division Manager.
Atkins has the depth and breadth of expertise to respond to the most technically challenging and time-critical infrastructure projects and the urgent transition to a low-carbon economy.
Atkins seeks an energetic and highly motivated self-starter to join our Southern California Rail & Transit Group as an Rail & Transit Senior Division Manager.
The Senior Division Manager is responsible for both business development, operations, and project execution within the assigned geographical area, Southern California.
The successful candidate will be responsible for achieving business growth, quality, client satisfaction, and project profitability goals and objectives. Actively work with Sector Manager, sales directors to develop and implement strategy, identify pursuits and encourage cross-selling. Provide leadership, direction, and guidance to project directors and managers within the assigned area to ensure proper project execution.
Marketing and Client Maintenance: Develops and implements regional marketing, sales, and public relations activities to maintain and expand the firm's participation in business opportunities in the Region, focusing on the Rail and Transit Sector for the Intermodal Business Unit (IBU), but also working across the other IBU Sectors (Aviation and Ports) and other group companies to advance the firm in the regional marketplace; establishes a local/regional presence and a positive company image within the assigned communities where the firm operates or wishes to establish its services; creates business opportunities that ultimately result in meeting the established sales targets for the assigned area of responsibility. Serve as a Client Account Manager for key clients of the IBU Rail and Transit Sector. Responsible for working with other Client Account Managers to oversee development and implementation of Client Account Manager plans. Provides input to marketing and technical groups on marketing and sales plans. This includes recommendations for product and territorial opportunities, participation in specific conferences, promotional literature, and/or unique client relationships. Develops and implements territorial sales plans consistent with sales and marketing plans, assisting in achieving sales targets within assigned territory. Plays a major role in new work selections.
Staff Administration: Assists sector, and business unit management in identifying staffing needs based on future workload and manpower projections; allowing the business unit management to plan and to coordinate as needed with the TPO (Technical Professional Organization within Atkins). As needed, reviews manager recommendations to recruit, hire, transfer or terminate staff and manager recommendations for salary offers for new hire candidates as well as salary and position adjustment actions for staff, and approves/disapproves recommendations and submits for further approval as specified in the Authorization Matrix. Recommends personnel actions for direct reports. Conducts semi-annual performance reviews and annual career planning sessions with direct reports. Provides staff with ongoing performance feedback and counsel to promote improved performance and career development. Helps staff identify and pursue technical and professional development activities consistent with their career development goals and business objectives/needs. Advises staff concerning company policies and procedures; monitors and enforces compliance.
Project Production and Management: Assists managers in developing project work plans; participates in reviews of schedules, budgets, project milestone dates and work products. Works closely with TPO (Technical Professional Organization within Atkins) leadership to ensure project staffing needs are met. Reviews financial performance of projects being produced and/or managed within the area of responsibility; assists managers in proactively identifying potential problem projects to ensure remedial actions are promptly taken to avoid financial losses and client dissatisfaction. Monitors and enforces compliance with established quality control standards, ensuring that appropriate quality assurance activities are being performed throughout the area of responsibility. Reviews project QC plans and periodic QA compliance audits on current or recently completed projects. Assists managers in resolving problems concerning work with other work units.
Contracts and Financial: Conducts contract negotiations with clients and subconsultants. Participates in reviews of project budgets. Monitors project performance to ensure project profitability. Monitors accounts receivable and client billings. Provides input and recommendations concerning final write-offs and past-due accounts receivable.
May perform such other duties as the supervisor may from time to time deem necessary.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor's degree in field of practice. Post graduate degree preferred. Management coursework and/or MBA a plus.
- This level may be achieved by technical professionals or technical managers with 15 years of experience since B.S., with at least three of these years in positions with project management or operational management responsibilities.
- Excellent technical and interpersonal skills. Proven ability to manage individuals and teams, provide leadership, and manage project production. Highly skilled at promoting the firm and negotiating advantageous contracts. Must have business vision, excellent communication skills, and be able to represent the firm effectively to clients, key public officials, and the community in general.
- Experience in business and team growth, organizational change, motivating and leading teams and capability development.
- Fifteen (15) years of experience is preferred, relevant experience and proven track record in business development and sales, with emphasis in the Rail and Transit Market in Southern California business; Airports and Ports experience a plus.
- Ability to network with colleagues / clients easily, excellent communicator. Transit experience should be inclusive of project development responsibilities for rail transit projects.
- Demonstrable experience in development of growth strategy and implementation, contract negotiations, financial management, contract formation, and estimating.
- Excellent communication skills (verbal and written, including technical writing) is required.
- Demonstrable experience in training, mentoring and developing staff and educating clients in all aspects of system engineering.
- Excellent interpersonal skills plus written and oral communications skills are essential. Outgoing, self-starter with innate sales orientation, optimism and drive; good organizational skills.
- Background in intermodal management or consulting is required.
- Experience identifying, pursuing, and winning major intermodal pursuits in North America in excess of $25M highly desired
- PE required
Atkins offers its employees a robust rewards package which includes: a competitive salary; a broad benefits package including medical/RX, dental, vision, life, disability, legal, hospitalization and other valuable voluntary options; generous time-off programs; flexible work schedules; 401(k) with employer match; professional and career development opportunities through our corporate university, as well as a highly-regarded tuition reimbursement program; and an unmatched culture focused on client-service, quality, and tireless pursuit of excellence in all we do. Atkins is an equal opportunity, drug-free employer committed to diversity in the workplace. EOE/Minorities/Females/Vet/Disability.
Please view Atkins Equal Opportunity Statement here:
Atkins cares about your privacy.
Please consult our Privacy Notice to know more about how we collect, use and transfer your Personal Data.
Our Latest Articles