Sr. Asphalt Engineering Laboratory Technician
This vacancy has now expired... why not:
Sr. Asphalt Engineering Laboratory Technician
Why join us?
Since 1911, we have been part of society’s progress on five continents … and we’re not done! Our teams bring together some of the most skilled professionals anywhere. People like you, who have the desire to stretch their talents. By joining SNC-Lavalin, you’re seizing the chance to grow with a leader in engineering and construction offering challenges that never cease to inspire. Take this opportunity to go further.
SNC Lavalin GEM Ontario Inc. (SNC) is a member of SNC-Lavalin Companies, a major driver of the engineering industry in Canada, and one of the largest engineering and construction groups in the world.
SNCL specializes in materials engineering (aggregates, soil, concrete and asphalt), pavement, geotechnical and geo-environmental engineering as well as pavement investigations. SNCL employs 80 professionals, technicians and support staff combined between our Vaughan (GTA) and Kingston locations.
This position is based out of our office in Vaughan, Ontario and reports to the Manager, Laboratories.
How will you contribute to the team?
The Senior Asphalt Engineering Laboratory Technician must be Canadian Council of Independent Laboratories (CCIL) certified for asphalt testing and will be responsible for major aspects of Superpave and Marshall HMA and WMA mix designs, asphalt quality control/quality assurance testing process in the laboratory at various infrastructure project. Under the supervision of the Laboratory Supervisor and Manager, the Senior Asphalt Laboratory technician’s main responsibilities are (but not limited to):
Test the quality of asphalt materials according MTO, AASHTO and ASTM testing methods, protocols and specifications:
- High and advanced complexity of asphalt materials testing
- Marshall and / or Superpave Mix Design testing (CCIL Type "A" Lab Certification)
- Marshall and/or Superpave Mix Compliance testing (CCIL Type "B" Lab Certification)
- Reports test results to Laboratory Supervisor and other technicians in verbal and written form timely and effectively
- Capability to calibrate, troubleshoot, diagnose, and perform routine repair to laboratory instrumentation
- Informs of deviations from expected or specified laboratory testing methods, and suggests explanations or further inquiries
- Participate in functional team activities including safety, housekeeping, training, ordering and maintaining supplies for the laboratory, etc.
- Perform other duties as assigned and directed.
- Review MTO Laboratory Testing Methods and OPSS 1150 and 1151 specifications.
What will you contribute?
- Perusing the College diploma in Civil Engineering
- Canadian Council of Independent Laboratories (CCIL) certified for asphalt testing
- 3-5 years minimum applicable laboratory experience (familiarity with asphalt materials testing protocols)
- Ability to maintain, calibrate, troubleshoot, diagnose and perform routine repair to laboratory
- Ability to interpret and manage reporting results
- Ability to participate in functional team activities and perform other assigned duties
- Excellent communication skills, attention to detail, working computer knowledge including M.S. Office (Word, Excel, Outlook) and multitasking skills
- Available to work on different shifts and schedules
- Available to work weekends on short notice
- Ability to adapt to changing work conditions and schedules on short notice
- Ability to listen, learns, & applies as instructed by immediate supervisor
What we offer at SNC-Lavalin:
At SNC-Lavalin, you will enjoy competitive compensation, a safe and healthy work environment, and a full range of benefits (ie.: group insurance, retirement savings plan, share purchase plan, continuing education program, etc.).
• Opportunity to work on various projects of various sizes
• Competitive salary
• Motivational financial package & flexible benefits
• Defined contribution pension plan in which SNC-Lavalin contributes
• Work equipment provided according to the season (boot, bib, helmet, gloves, etc.);
• Employee Share Ownership Plan (ESOP)
• Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
• 3 weeks of vacation time
• Learning and Development programs, training, career opportunities
The masculine gender is used only to simplify the wording.
At SNC-Lavalin, we seek to hire individuals with diverse characteristics, backgrounds and perspectives. We strongly believe that world-class talent makes no distinctions based on gender, ethnic or national origin, sexual identity and orientation, age, religion or disability, but enriches itself through these differences.
Appropriate accommodations will be provided upon request throughout the recruitment and hiring process as required by Company policy and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA).
Successful applicants will be notified about SNC-Lavalin’s accommodation policies at the time the employment offer is extended, and the information will be shared with new personnel during the onboarding process
SNC-Lavalin cares about your privacy. SNC-Lavalin and other subsidiary or affiliated companies of SNC-Lavalin (referred to throughout as “SNC-Lavalin”) are committed to protecting your privacy. Please consult our Privacy Notice on our Careers site to know more about how we collect, use and transfer your Personal Data.
By submitting your personal information to SNC-Lavalin, you confirm that you have read and accept our Privacy Notice.
Founded in 1911, SNC-Lavalin is a global fully integrated professional services and project management company and a major player in the ownership of infrastructure. From offices around the world, SNC-Lavalin's employees are proud to build what matters. Our teams provide comprehensive end-to-end project solutions – including capital investment, consulting, design, engineering, construction, sustaining capital and operations and maintenance – to clients in oil and gas, mining and metallurgy, infrastructure and power. On July 3, 2017, SNC-Lavalin acquired Atkins, one of the world's most respected design, engineering and project management consultancies. http://www.snclavalin.com